Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinema seat reservations

• 20-07-2012 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Been invited along by a few mates to the Dark knight rises premiere tomorrow around 11 pm or so in Liffey Valley. Thing is they booked back seats (all booked out) THEN asked me :rolleyes:

I really am dying to see this tomorrow. Never been to a packed out premiere like this before, so never had to worry about the self entitled looking for there exact seat number.

So should I just chance the arm and sit with them in the "reserved" section ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Don't even think about it. If you're in my seat I will kick your face in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeep, sounds like a fool proof plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Been invited along by a few mates to the Dark knight rises premiere tomorrow around 11 pm or so in Liffey Valley. Thing is they booked back seats (all booked out) THEN asked me :rolleyes:

I really am dying to see this tomorrow. Never been to a packed out premiere like this before, so never had to worry about the self entitled looking for there exact seat number.

Iv already seen it, i could just spoil it for you now and save you the bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I hate that "false inviting" crap (or whatever expression to call it) You are asked to something, but its not genuine.

But, having previous experience working in cineams. You have zero chance of seeing it. Staff will be checking everyones seat upon entry to the screen. Sure its fully booked too, man :) meaning no seats. Sorry but zero chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's going to be crazy busy tomorrow night and the hardworking lads and ladies will have their torches and show everyone to their seats

Just not going to work OP

Pick pretty much any other film and it's no bother but LV will be mobbed for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Yeah it probably wont be the seat of some diehard batman fan who shows up wearing the suit and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I hate that "false inviting" crap (or whatever expression to call it) You are asked to something, but its not genuine.

But, having previous experience working in cineams. You have zero chance of seeing it. Staff will be checking everyones seat upon entry to the screen. Sure its fully booked, man :) meaning no seats. Sorry but zero chance.

No it's not. Plenty of seats available still, I'm looking at it right now on Vue. That's the thing I'm worrying about. Some arsehole expecting to stroll up to the back because he payed 50c extra online, expecting me to sit on my own down the bottom half and the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No it's not. Plenty of seats available still, I'm looking at it right now on Vue. That's the thing I'm worrying about. Some arsehole expecting to stroll up to the back because he payed 50c extra online, expecting me to sit on my own down the bottom half and the staff.

Heh, so you want to sit with your friends? what are you, afraid of the dark or something? It's a cinema for fecks sake, you are there to watch the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Batman's a miserable cunt. He's got everything - wealth, gadgets, a batmobile, a big fuck off house and he's a superhero.

Yet he walks around the place with a big miserable, scaldy head on him.

Lighten the fuck up Batman.

Should've planned ahead shouldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Heh, so you want to sit with your friends? what are you, afraid of the dark or something? It's a cinema for fecks sake, you are there to watch the movie.

Well it is a Dark Knight ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Your friends are arseholes, don't go.

Yeah I always need one of the boys to handhold me through it. :(

Real friends would not have forgotton you

Do you want revenge tactics from the good people of After Hours? It's what we do best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yeah I always need one of the boys to handhold me through it. :(

And a popcorn surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

People still go to the cinema:confused:. Haven't been in one in about 7 years, don't know how they are still going business wise.

People still go to the cinema:confused:. Haven't been in one in about 7 years, they are redundant imo.

I agree, much better to download a CAM version of the film with awful sound.

I'm seriously confused :pac:

Your friends booked tickets at the back of the screen (i get that part :P ) But yet you are saying "fully booked" but then state what if someone books via online? :confused:

This is an seating assigned showing you now.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Real friends would not have forgotton you

Do you want revenge tactics from the good people of After Hours? It's what we do best :)

Does it involve stealth and bars of soap ?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Why don't you go to the 5am showing OP? Then, text your so called friends and tell em it was sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Hope and pray it is not my reserved seat.

I'm one of those people who doesn't head off like a sheep to find another seat. I will make a show of both of us until you get the fuk outta my seat.

I'm seriously confused :pac:

Your friends booked tickets at the back of the screen (i get that part :P ) But yet you are saying "fully booked" but then state what if someone books via online? :confused:

This is an seating assigned showing you now.

Eh no .... the back rows are booked out where my friends are sitting. Obviously I'd feel like a tool sitting on my own.

Yes ... people actually book online what's confusing you exactly ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can get any new release with perfect quality picture and sound if you know where to go. Better than the sound of people talking, shuffling in their seats, not able to go 2 hrs without a bathroom break and scoffing food, rusting plastic bags and slurping their way through some shloshy watered down overpriced drink.

Obviously I'd feel like a tool sitting on my own.

Why :confused:

You are all there for the same reason, nobody is judging people on their own

If your friends tell you to meet in a pub do you stand outside until they bring you in?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Why :confused:

You are all there for the same reason, nobody is judging people on their own

If your friends tell you to meet in a pub do you stand outside until they bring you in?

Yeah I understand, but If I wanted to go on my own, I would. But I'm going with friends. I expect to be able to sit with them without being moved halfway down by staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Eh no .... the back rows are booked out where my friends are sitting. Obviously I'd feel like a tool sitting on my own.

Well you haven't exactly been coherent.

I love how you refer to people who expect to sit in the seats they booked as "arseholes" and "self entitled". I bet if you had booked along with your mates and someone was in your seat you'd make them move. You can only "expect to be able to sit with them" if you have a seat booked with them. You don't so tough shít tbh.

Sit on your own ffs. Nobody is going to be looking at you, you're really not that important.

"ASSIGNED SEATING!"

Thought i'd put it big and loud. Do you know what that means?

It means people will be seating in their allotted seats. When I worked in a cinema I had to do this all the time!!!!!!! ... Example, a couple would go to their row and seat number. Some guy wouldnt give up his seat (playing the stupid card saying he was in the right seat) Cue couple going to me and I going to that seat number... usual spiel "can I see you ticket? ok wrong section its over there" ... why do you regularly see 2-3 members of staff seating people? ... cause it'll turn into a cluster f*ck if staff dont.

as i said. you have zero chance. because the person who booked their seat WILL be looking to sit there. you are talking opening day of the biggest movie of the year mate. :rolleyes:

I love how you refer to people who expect to sit in the seats they booked as "arseholes" and "self entitled". I bet if you had booked along with your mates and someone was in your seat you'd make them move. You can only "expect to be able to sit with them" if you have a seat booked with them. You don't so tough shít tbh.

Sit on your own ffs. Nobody is going to be looking at you, you're really not that important.

First come, first served as far as I'm concerned. I don't sympathize with people who expect certain seats because they bagsy and pay an extra 50c for them. Which is why I've never booked cinema seats. Irritates the fcuk outta me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

First come, first served as far as I'm concerned. I don't sympathize with people who expect certain seats because they bagsy and pay an extra 50c for them. Which is why I've never booked cinema seats. Irritates the fcuk outta me.

I bet you are great fun at the Opera.

• Advertisement

It irritates you that people, including your own friends that you're so desperate to sit with, book seats in advance for the first night of a film that is going to be packed out?

How pathetic.

I hope you try your "first come, first served" bullshít and see how far you get.

"ASSIGNED SEATING!"

Thought i'd put it big and loud. Do you know what that means?

It means people will be seating in their allotted seats. When I worked in a cinema I had to do this all the time!!!!!!! ... Example, a couple would go to their row and seat number. Some guy wouldnt give up his seat (playing the stupid card saying he was in the right seat) Cue couple going to me and I going to that seat number... usual spiel "can I see you ticket? ok wrong section its over there" ... why do you regularly see 2-3 members of staff seating people? ... cause it'll turn into a cluster f*ck if staff dont.

as i said. you have zero chance. because the person who booked their seat WILL be looking to sit there. you are talking opening day of the biggest movie of the year mate. :rolleyes:

YES I KNOW WHAT ASSIGNED SEATING MEANS ... CAN YOU HEAR ME ??

Well I've taken people's advice and decided to give tomorrow a miss ... so thanks. :)

You DO realise assigned seating isnt just for people who booked tickets online? ... it applies to people who buy tickets, at the cinema, on the day also. It applies for everyone who views that showing.

you know what, you're trolling. has to be.

YES I KNOW WHAT ASSIGNED SEATING MEANS ... CAN YOU HEAR ME ??

Well I've taken people's advice and decided to give tomorrow a miss ... so thanks. :)

Aww what a shame.

I'm sure the other cinema-goers would have really enjoyed the pre-show fun of you getting your ass handed to you by someone who bothered to book in advance.

It irritates you that people, including your own friends that you're so desperate to sit with, book seats in advance for the first night of a film that is going to be packed out?

How pathetic.

I hope you try your "first come, first served" bullshít and see how far you get.

Yeah it does. I've already stated I won't be going now based on the advice given.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

It is first come, first served, those people got there first by paying the extra 50c to book those seats, its not like they put a beach towel on the seat to reserve it. Plus you expect a certain seat just because your "mates" who by the way didn't invite you in the first place are sitting there, your completely contradicting yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ah here could you be more obvious with the troll? :D

I would actually PAY to see you try and sit in a seat that's already booked.

You would probably mumble a bit and then shuffle off with a bid red head on yourself. Less of the keyboard hardman because it's clear that if you can't handle sitting away from your 'friends' in the cinema then it's clear you haven't a notion of sitting in a seat that's not assigned to you.

Let us know how you get on anyway, can't wait to hear how you boxed the head of some lad because he said you were in his seat then got with some bird in the jax afterwards and did a bit of cocaine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

it is, seen TED last night and glad i didnt waste money going to the cinema to see it, if the film is any good you can still go to the cinema to see it

You DO realise assigned seating isnt just for people who booked tickets online? ... it applies to people who buy tickets, at the cinema, on the day also. It applies for everyone who views that showing.

you know what, you're trolling. has to be.

Well we've just sat anywhere really in the past. I don't know many people who sit in the exact designated seats when their tickets aren't booked in advance.

No I simply asked should I chance my arm tomorrow. No need to exaggerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

If you're friends were anyway decent they'd give up their pre-booked seats and sit with you in the unreserved seats
    If not, kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Go and embarrass them in the queue, say things like "I love when he uses his adamantium claws" or "I can't wait to see him turn into the hulk", then announce loudly how you heard the butler dies from someone who saw the 5am show.

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »
    Ah here could you be more obvious with the troll? :D

I would actually PAY to see you try and sit in a seat that's already booked.

You would probably mumble a bit and then shuffle off with a bid red head on yourself. Less of the keyboard hardman because it's clear that if you can't handle sitting away from your 'friends' in the cinema then it's clear you haven't a notion of sitting in a seat that's not assigned to you.

Let us know how you get on anyway, can't wait to hear how you boxed the head of some lad because he said you were in his seat then got with some bird in the jax afterwards and did a bit of cocaine :rolleyes:

Keyboard hardman ?? that's just my opinion on it. What's with all the trolling accusations ?? I've already stated I won't be trying anything, just wondered the chances of getting away with it. Fcuk sake. Offended much ?

Yes it is first come, first serve because they booked first so tough titty. Otherwise people would sit always leaving gaps of one seat between groups and apparently the kind of people who need a seat just for themself (like you) aren't willing to sit on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You can get any new release with perfect quality picture and sound if you know where to go. Better than the sound of people talking, shuffling in their seats, not able to go 2 hrs without a bathroom break and scoffing food, rusting plastic bags and slurping their way through some shloshy watered down overpriced drink.

Wow... you could have just said you have no friends to go with. No need to invent all those reasons. We wouldn't have judged you.

BATMAN GOES GAY AT THE END OF DARK KNIGHT RISES!!!!!!!

there. I spoiled it. You happy people.

AEH1984 wrote: »
    It is first come, first served, those people got there first by paying the extra 50c to book those seats, its not like they put a beach towel on the seat to reserve it. Plus you expect a certain seat just because your "mates" who by the way didn't invite you in the first place are sitting there, your completely contradicting yourself

I don't expect any seats. If someone's sitting there already, then tough s*** for me then.

MAXSTEELE GOES GAY AT THE END OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

there. I spoiled it. You happy people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Why do cinemas still bother with assigned seating? it makes no sense. In Galway, assigned seating was stopped over 10 years ago, first come first served works way better, earliest ppl get best seats, late people get the worst ones, (if screen is full).

yer man! wrote: »
    Why do cinemas still bother with assigned seating? it makes no sense. In Galway, assigned seating was stopped over 10 years ago, first come first served works way better, earliest ppl get best seats, late people get the worst ones, (if screen is full).

The reasons behind assigned seating is so that the cinema are allowing friends or couples to sit together best to what the cinema can.

Its a stupid expression to use .... but "crowd control" ... lets say you got an 250 seater screen thats fully booked. There will be a point when people are forced to take up random seats. Seperating from their group / person they are going with.

Assigned seating cant fully stop that. But does its best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I'm all for assigned seating, usually it give a good indication how busy a cinema is online when booking and if it is quiet-ish i usually pick a couple of seats one seat between another group so we have the "coat rack and elbow" seat that no-one will book. If i can't get a nice central seat i wont be fully contented.

However what i don't like about is people getting lack-a-daisy with punctuality simply because they have their seats booked. Nothing worse than late-comers walking in front of you 5 mins into a movie, making noise and knocking over popcorn and then trying to distinguish seat numbers & who sits where!

Once the feature film has started and the lights fully dimmed i really think you reserved seat is null an void and be told to take the shíte free seats at the front or the sides as to not disturb the on-time patrons. Although this policy wont work if its fully book but those front row sections are usually empty for non-opening nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's not the premiere...

• Advertisement
Advertisement