Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cinema seat reservations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Can I ask the OP a question, if you went along tonight and there were no free seats either side of where your "mates" were assigned to sit, what would you have done? Ask the stupid people who had the foresight to book ahead to move?

I'm genuinely curious??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Never been to a packed out premiere like this before, so never had to worry about the self entitled looking for there exact seat number.
    That's the thing I'm worrying about. Some arsehole expecting to stroll up to the back because he payed 50c extra online, expecting me to sit on my own down the bottom half and the staff.
    I expect to be able to sit with them without being moved halfway down by staff.

Who is it that's self entitled?
    Well we've just sat anywhere really in the past. I don't know many people who sit in the exact designated seats when their tickets aren't booked in advance.

No I simply asked should I chance my arm tomorrow. No need to exaggerate.

Even when you buy a ticket in the cinema 5 mins before the film you still get a seat number. Unless the cinema is empty I don't know anyone who doesn't sit in their assigned seats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

yer man! wrote: »
    Why do cinemas still bother with assigned seating? it makes no sense. In Galway, assigned seating was stopped over 10 years ago, first come first served works way better, earliest ppl get best seats, late people get the worst ones, (if screen is full).

First come first served means the people buying tickets early choosing their seats at the time of purchase right? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

First come first served means the people buying tickets early choosing their seats at the time of purchase right? :confused:

Ya I get what you mean but I just find it much easier when their isn't assigned seating, you don't need as much staff to show you your seat and people aren't walking around when the film started wondering where their seats are. Ryanair did it for a reason too. I can understand in an extremely packed cinema you have the security of a nice seat booked waiting for you if you're late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Ya I get what you mean but I just find it much easier when their isn't assigned seating, you don't need as much staff to show you your seat and people aren't walking around when the film started wondering where their seats are. Ryanair did it for a reason too. I can understand in an extremely packed cinema you have the security of a nice seat booked waiting for you if you're late.

They did, so they can charge you for when you do selected the seats you actually want to sit in so you wont have to rush and queue with rest of the phlebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Some arsehole expecting to stroll up to the back because he payed 50c extra online, expecting me to sit on my own down the bottom half and the staff.

Hilarious.

As I said, if it's heavily booked people tend to sit in awkward-sized groups and leave empty seats as a buffer. In my local cinema they only do assigned seating for the first few weeks of big releases at the times they know they'll sell out and in screens where it's worthwhile to prevent empty seats. Imagine showing up to buy two tickets and being told "Yeah there's about 15 seats still free", you go in and you and your mate can't sit together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

As I said, if it's heavily booked people tend to sit in awkward-sized groups and leave empty seats as a buffer. In my local cinema they only do assigned seating for the first few weeks of big releases at the times they know they'll sell out and in screens where it's worthwhile to prevent empty seats. Imagine showing up to buy two tickets and being told "Yeah there's about 15 seats still free", you go in and you and your mate can't sit together.

Fair enough, that makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

joe316 wrote: »
    Can I ask the OP a question, if you went along tonight and there were no free seats either side of where your "mates" were assigned to sit, what would you have done? Ask the stupid people who had the foresight to book ahead to move?

I'm genuinely curious??

Of course I wouldn't. They were there first. Just find the nearest empty one and hope for the best no one's assigned to it already.

I just always found people in the cinema don't mind what seat they're in as long as it's in the general area they hoped to sit.

• Advertisement

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Hilarious.

:D

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Who is it that's self entitled?

Even when you buy a ticket in the cinema 5 mins before the film you still get a seat number. Unless the cinema is empty I don't know anyone who doesn't sit in their assigned seats.

I'm well aware we're all assigned certain seats. Maybe I'm just too used to attending shows which have a plentiful supply of seats with a better POV than the one I'm assigned. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Been invited along by a few mates to the Dark knight rises premiere tomorrow around 11 pm or so in Liffey Valley. Thing is they booked back seats (all booked out) THEN asked me :rolleyes:

I really am dying to see this tomorrow. Never been to a packed out premiere like this before, so never had to worry about the self entitled looking for there exact seat number.

So should I just chance the arm and sit with them in the "reserved" section ?

eh, what? If they have booked it and paid for it they are just plain entitled. Dont try to make people look like dicks for wanting what they paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

First come, first served as far as I'm concerned. I don't sympathize with people who expect certain seats because they bagsy and pay an extra 50c for them. Which is why I've never booked cinema seats. Irritates the fcuk outta me.

It's no surprise that your friends appear not to like you.

Just wait for the DVD and enjoy at home on your own. I think should get used to that. :)

eh, what? If they have booked it and paid for it they are just plain entitled. Dont try to make people look like dicks for wanting what they paid for.

See post #62

Bad Panda wrote: »
    It's no surprise that your friends appear not to like you.

Just wait for the DVD and enjoy at home on your own. I think should get used to that. :)

People that don't like me but invite me to come out with them ?? :confused:

They're the ones egging me on with "fcuk it .... you'll be grand".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

People that don't like me but invite me to come out with them ?? :confused:

They're the ones egging me on with "fcuk it .... you'll be grand".

il bite....

they have their tickets, why wouldnt they be like ah you will be grand, if anything its additional entertainment if you get thrown out. :pac:

go for it.....you will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Seriously what age are you? Man the f**k up and sit on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,451 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No it's not. Plenty of seats available still, I'm looking at it right now on Vue. That's the thing I'm worrying about. Some arsehole expecting to stroll up to the back because he payed 50c extra online, expecting me to sit on my own down the bottom half and the staff.

i think the arsehole in this scenario is you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Obviously I'd feel like a tool sitting on my own.
    Why? if you see people on their own do you think they are a 'tool'? What will you be missing, are you planning on chatting away to your mates during the film? I would have a usually have a drink & chat before and/or after the cinema, but don't want to hear a word from mates during it. Sometimes I want to be away from some mates who are known chatters during films.

The only real benefit I see is you have less awkwardness about sharing arm rests with people you know. Or obviously if you're a couple.
    First come, first served as far as I'm concerned. I don't sympathize with people who expect certain seats because they bagsy and pay an extra 50c for them.
    So if you had booked with your mates, and they all were seated but somebody had got your seat before you, Then what?

would have just shrugged your shoulders and sat elsewhere -looking like a tool, as you said yourself. Or the other option would be asking them to move, in which case you would be an arsehole by your own reasoning.
    Why do cinemas still bother with assigned seating? it makes no sense... Ryanair did it for a reason too.
    Thats why loads of people hate ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'd say everyone who paid for a ticket to watch a film is gonna be pointing and talking about a lad sitting on his own.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Why? if you see people on their own do you think they are a 'tool'? What will you be missing, are you planning on chatting away to your mates during the film? I would have a usually have a drink & chat before and/or after the cinema, but don't want to hear a word from mates during it. Sometimes I want to be away from some mates who are known chatters during films.

The only real benefit I see is you have less awkwardness about sharing arm rests with people you know. Or obviously if you're a couple.

So if you had booked with your mates, and they all were seated but somebody had got your seat before you, Then what?

would have just shrugged your shoulders and sat elsewhere -looking like a tool, as you said yourself. Or the other option would be asking them to move, in which case you would be an arsehole by your own reasoning.

Thats why loads of people hate ryanair.

I don't look at anyone else there as tools whether they're on they're own or not. But If you go to a movie with a group, you're gonna want to be seated with them, what's the point going with them in the first place, when you could have went suitably earlier on you're own time ?. Otherwise, I would have happily went to the morning show by myself. I'm just the type who'll only go to somewhere like the cinema with other people.

I wouldn't bother causing a ruckus over assigned seating, although I'd rather sit there at the same time. Like I said, if you have a ticket and get there first, tough luck for me. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Iv already seen it, i could just spoil it for you now and save you the bother.
    Bruce Wayne is Batman :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bruce Wayne is Batman :eek:

No **** Sherlock...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

So if the person who booked the seat arrived after you but was also with a group of friends, would you expect them to sit separately?

And think of the knock-on effects - if you won't give up the seat, the person who booked it will have to sit somewhere else, but without knowing which seats are booked or by who they might end up having to move around several times before they find a free seat.

Why should they put up with that when they bothered to book a seat and you didn't (though I agree it was crappy of your friends not to include you from the start in this case)

elekid wrote: »
    So if the person who booked the seat arrived after you but was also with a group of friends, would you expect them to sit separately?

And think of the knock-on effects - if you won't give up the seat, the person who booked it will have to sit somewhere else, but without knowing which seats are booked or by who they might end up having to move around several times before they find a free seat.

Why should they put up with that when they bothered to book a seat and you didn't (though I agree it was crappy of your friends not to include you from the start in this case)

I know what you mean. If I do end up going tonight ... i'll just sit in whatever seat is on the ticket anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jesus people really hate the idea of not watching the actual film you paid to see without being able to chat to their buddies.

A friend of mine specifically looks around before sitting down to see the ads pre-film so he can sit behind the noisiest group. He does this solely to be able to sush people during the film. When done properly it's a masterclass in awkwardness which he lives for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

You can get any new release with perfect quality picture and sound if you know where to go. Better than the sound of people talking, shuffling in their seats, not able to go 2 hrs without a bathroom break and scoffing food, rusting plastic bags and slurping their way through some shloshy watered down overpriced drink.

So wrong my friend....you are ...sorry!...a complete duffer.

Cinema is a good cheap evening out .....not comparible to watchin movies at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Batman's a miserable cunt. He's got everything - wealth, gadgets, a batmobile, a big fuck off house and he's a superhero.

Yet he walks around the place with a big miserable, scaldy head on him.

Lighten the fuck up Batman.

Why was the user not banned for baiting :confused:

Do you have ANY idea what the fcuk you are talking about??

Bruce's parents died because he wanted to leave the opera when he was just a kid. Imagine what that must have done to him, knowing that had he enjoyed the opera more, his mommy and daddy would not have got shot like dogs in that alley way.

As for his "scaldy head" - I'll have you know that the mask he is wearing was actually a prototype armor suit that was rejected by the army!!Have you got a kevlar bi-weave mask??

Nah, didn't think so!

Advertisement