Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,225 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Even a few wrestling moves thrown in there, I noticed.
    And I wonder if
    Walls of Jericho
    was a reference or just a saying.

Loved
    Vin and Rock tag teaming on the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Loved
    Vin and Rock tag teaming on the plane

Sweet
    doomsday device

The Rock's new reality show kicks off tonight on TNT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

surprised this wasnt bumped due to the last game of thrones, the starks, winter is here for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Why? Something of note happen in it? :) wonder how they'll deal with the fallout in the finale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

The Rock's new reality show kicks off tonight on TNT

Anybody watched this? I like the kind of moral dilemma stuff but as a whole it isn't great and just seems like an excuse for Rock to stand on tall buildings and ride around in helicopters a little more often.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It was harder to avoid GoT spoilers than TNA spoilers lol. I must watch the finale as soon as I can. I absolutely loved how they had a few subtle clues than the big one at the red wedding.
    The closing of the doors - that's not right.... the band playing the Lannister's song I believe, and the chainmail. Top class stuff. Bah good riddence, they were adding too many characters without pruning!

Who do you want to see claim the throne? (Please don't drop any book spoilers) If I had my way, Khaleesi would marry Tyrion :D

I haven't read the books and try to avoid all spoilers which I was succesful in doing so the scene worked for me.
    As far as I'm concerned
    They can kill nearly everyone and just make it the Tyrion/Bronn, Arya/Hound, Jamie/Brienne show. But Dani on the throne seems the best option now. Especially if it involves using her dragons to slowly roast Joffrey alive. Tyrion would be wasted on the throne when he's destined to become the God of T!ts and wine

And tomorrow I ahve to find time to watch while watching E3 conferences. Good break between Microsoft and Ubisoft so can watch then

Well the GoT finale was never gonna top last week's but was just okay. Only touched on some characters I would've liked to see more of though.

At least
    My shouting at Sam to go back for the Dragon Glass wasn't required.
    :)

Just finished The Last of Us,what an epic game! Loved it

• Advertisement

It's def on my to-do list but I'm trying to hornswoggle a Wii U and the new Mario game somehow :)

Finally saw Man of Steel tonight! (IMAX/3D) Thought I'd share my thoughts with you guys :
    • Despite being an origin story, the way it was told (well-timed flashbacks to important moments in Clarke's life) was enjoyable and refreshing.
    • Jor-El : Russel Crowe did a great job as the stoic dad doing right by his people & family. It was weird how he uploaded himself to a computer so despite being gone, he could still give plot exposition/counsel!
    • Lois Lane : Amy Adams didn't show much personality and looks quite young, especially in her teenager brown beanie. But she was likable and she was used perfectly in the action scenes (i.e. she was given a task, got out of the way, and came back afterwards)
    • General Zod : A bit too 2-dimensional, straight out-and-out villain for my tastes. I get the free will vs destiny angle as his justification for genocide, but thought it was ham-fisted, an uninteresting villain. Would've liked to be fleshed out more but that runs the risk of making him a tragic villain and the audience side with him.
    • Superman : I thought Henry Cavill did a fine job. Being insecure a persecuted, kind-hearted babyface. I was rooting for him to succeed. He's also crazy jakked! Not too heavy on the Christianity overtones either, only 1-2 parts where he floated around like Space Jesus!
    • Outfits : Loved the baddies' translucent helmets, but not their Gears of War armour. Odd-looking alien ships (looked like a black turtle/insect but easy to recognise as the bad guys. Thought Superman's new outfit looked great, didn't miss the red underpants either!

The film itself?
    • Loved the storytelling half of the film, the end of Krypton was pretty cool.
    • Stopped caring almost instantly when it turned into Transformers, with just loud Special FX smashing of New York. Just smashing for smashing's sake is fun for a bit, but it just went on forever! It just turned to noise. It's quite spectacular & high budget, but after you've smashed 25 buildings, the wow factor for building 26 is gone. A film's strength should be characters and story, it's action spectacle will be easily topped by another blockbuster.
    • Thought the Zod/Superman fight scene was really well done - no need for the previous hour of action! Some great camerawork here as well and some cool levitating shots of Superman.
    • Didn't like how the baddies got superman-like powers very quickly on Earth. It took Superman years to adjust, hone & strengthen his powers. If they fought on Krypton would be a different story.
    • No John Williams Superman theme but the new one is quite grand & uplifting.
    • Small quibble : Jor-El mentions Superman had to learn what it is to be human before learning to be himself. Earth was a planet picked by his wife at the last minute. Would've made more sense if Jonathan/Kevin Costner said it. However Superman being the bridge between two worlds (turning the military to his side) was well done.

OVERALL : Saw it in the cinema (IMAX = great, 3D = forgot about it after 5 mins!), enjoyable first half, not as 'Dark Knight' as I expected (good thing!), but I was disappointed it turned into an action film...definitely a mixed bag, but definitely worth seeing.

- Jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's def on my to-do list but I'm trying to hornswoggle a Wii U and the new Mario somehow

- Jay
    G'man for backing Nintendo.
    Was a bit bored watching the UFC last nite (Kennedy vs Gracie) and came accross a hotdog eating contest on espn m'erica the winning guy ate 69 in ten minutes just watching it made me feel a bit sick. The thing that stuck out was the guys seemed to all have a little gimmicks and entrance music like one guy had Ultimate Warrior esque facepaint(he didn't ate a load then puke 2 mins in though), another had this huge chain on with his knickname on it, there was a guy that kinda dressed a bit like Cena tbh and the reigning champion came out on a throne like King Mabel holding a Championship belt. There were thousands there watching it too on the 4th of July, daft it was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Am catching up with GoT.

Just got on Red Wedding.

Ho.Ly. ****!

Am catching up with GoT. Just got on Red Wedding. Ho.Ly. ****!

It's pretty incredible, isn't it? There were a few subtle hints that it was all gonna go down.
    It was all going downhill as soon as Catelyn took note of the guy locking the big doors. Did u cop that the musicians started playing the Lannister song? Thought it was a fantastic touch. I only know about it since I remembered Bronn singing it before the big battle last season.

GoT do a mini recap/review per episode and also some specific pieces, this one for the red wedding :

Anyone watching new show Ray Donovan?

Jon Voight is amazing in it

Anyone watching new show Ray Donovan?

Jon Voight is amazing in it

Watching the second episode now good so far, Interesting views on gay people from Mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

not seen the second ep.

Netflix has announced that the final episodes of Breaking Bad will be exclusively available to its members in Ireland and the UK from Monday August 12

Netflix has announced that the final episodes of Breaking Bad will be exclusively available to its members in Ireland and the UK from Monday August 12

What do you mean? Are they coming out prior to being aired on TV?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What do you mean? Are they coming out prior to being aired on TV?!

No. 24 hours after being shown in America, they'll be available on Netflix here.

• Advertisement

Will it be carried over here?
    I hope it's not on Sky Atlantic. I've a pain in my arse waiting for Blu-ray releases to see these series'.
    The trailer looks great though, everything Whedon touches is pure gold (I'm not including Dollshouse)

Channel 4 has acquired the UK premiere broadcast rights to ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the hotly anticipated new series from Marvel Television and ABC Studios. The series will premiere on Channel 4 in autumn, soon after its launch on the ABC network in the US

Channel 4 has acquired the UK premiere broadcast rights to ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the hotly anticipated new series from Marvel Television and ABC Studios. The series will premiere on Channel 4 in autumn, soon after its launch on the ABC network in the US

So insanely hyped for this show. :D

I'll still not watch it on Channel 4. They'll either (badly) edit out some parts of it, or they'll put it on one time for a few weeks, then start moving it about the schedule to the point that it's difficult to watch. It's why I never got through Six Feet Under. They started showing it later and later, and changing the day.... Then it's getting bad viewing figures (because of their mistakes) and they'll sell it off to Sky after two seasons (like they did with Lost and possibly Angel). They can be really ridiculous sometimes.

Nice! I'll look forward to that. My expectations aren't high for a Marvel TV show so hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised!

It's back to the 80s/90s this past few weeks with Shadowrun Returns (SNES game sequel in the same style - fantasy cyberpunk TBC/RPG), Ducktales (NES remake/side-scrolling platformer) and now Flashback (SNES remake/2D action-adventure). Aww yeah!

Nice! I'll look forward to that. My expectations aren't high for a Marvel TV show so hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised!

Mine weren't either but if Joss Whedon is involved, I trust him. Buffy and Angel were brilliant TV shows and he recently compared the SHIELD TV show to an episode of Buffy called "The Zeppo" which was one of the best episodes and definitely gives me hope.

Sorry, been rewatching a bit of Buffy and Angel lately and Joss Whedon is definitely becoming one of my top "I don't care what you're doing, you will have my money" guys.

Penn wrote: »
    Mine weren't either but if Joss Whedon is involved, I trust him. Buffy and Angel were brilliant TV shows and he recently compared the SHIELD TV show to an episode of Buffy called "The Zeppo" which was one of the best episodes and definitely gives me hope.

Sorry, been rewatching a bit of Buffy and Angel lately and Joss Whedon is definitely becoming one of my top "I don't care what you're doing, you will have my money" guys.

I am still hoping for a Kickstarter campaign for a new Firefly/Serenity series or film

I am still hoping for a Kickstarter campaign for a new Firefly/Serenity series or film

Me too.

I'm also a massive Whedon guy, and that includes Dollhouse as well. His quartet of shows rank in my top 7 or 8 shows easily, and Arron Sorkin is probably the only person who can compete with him for my affections.

I'd imagine, it being Whedon, we'll get plenty of Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse cameos :P

Like I was saying elsewhere, I hope we can watch it and it's not blocked to Irish viewers, unless one of our channels are showing it around the same time

***MASSIVE STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS SPOILERS***

SPOILERS I SAY!

Watched Star Trek Into Darkness tonight. Great film.

The Overwhelming Positives :
    • The pace is relentless, not a moment spared, the characters interesting and charming, and the storyline exciting.
    • Cumberbach is a really great icy, intelligent villain with a great, booming voice and presence.
    • There's several nods to the original ("don't wear these red shirts", older Spock, music & mission statement etc) but has plenty of it's own merit.
    • It's well-crafted, with little and big ideas & verbal exchanges are brought back at the opportune time without hitting you over the head with it.
    • Some light-hearted swashbuckling action, with incredible effects, scale and polish that's never boring. I loved the Dead Space-style humans navigating through space by themselves.
    • There's serious reduction of lens flare which is a huge plus.

Other thoughts & nit-picking :
    • They lay it on a little think with the premise of death right from the get-go and it's difficult to get invested with what's supposed to be heavy emotion/drama so quickly/early on. Star Trek 2009 had the premise of killing worlds, ST:ID revolves around death (Spock, Pike, Kirk). Combined with big changes (Kirk relieved of command/transferring Spock, Scotty resigning) front-loading the story is a little jarring, but there's a lot to get through in the film.
    • Some of the music and spaceship changes really feel and sound like Star Wars, something I didn't feel in the first one. Especially when they go to Kronos and are chased.
    Even for a sci-fi film, some of the sequences stretch plausibility and some superhuman bits/jumps remove the threat of death.
    • Khan's platelets curing death is quite a stretch but platelets do contain several growth factors involved for helping tissue repair/wound healing so it's not too bad. Also when Scotty's supposedly keeping an eye on Kahn but he takes control and kills Pike anyway was a bit of a groaner. The lack of visual effect of Kirk's radiation is noticeably absent (presumably it was left out as people would focus more on that than his words).
    • There's some similar plot points to Star Trek 2 but it plays out much different - so both new & nostalgic, great mix.
    • There's quite a bit of "follow the rules, you must follow the rules! ok break the rules if you really must." throughout the whole film.
    • Capturing and chatting to Kahn is very like what happens to Joker in Dark Knight, Loki in Avengers, Magneto in X-Men, an so on.
    • There are a sparse few swears, which is odd as they humorously mask them with ship-noises and timely editing.

Overall : I'd definitely recommend this block-buster sci-fi flick. It's more action-driven than the character-driven first outing for Abrams, but it's a very fun, exciting and well thought-out film. Looking forward to a third.

• Advertisement

Yeah,I enjoyed it as well. Preferred the first but would happily watch this one again

Advertisement