Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is the Breaking Bad finale crap already?
    Hate the way a show/game/film can be praised on premiere/release is kinda hated about 36 hours later. Happened so much the last year with games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I want to know though : What's your top 3 series finales? Apart from Breaking Bad, I'm having a rough time coming up with good ones. Anyone?

It's tough. So many finales never live up to the rest of the show, and ultimately disappoint. I liked the ending to Lost, but it wouldn't be in my top 3. It depends if we're including comedies in this. This won't be 3 and won't be in any order, but good series finales I can think of are:

The Office (UK) - Perfect ending
    The Wire - Good ending for the show even if the 5th Season never reached the heights of the previous ones
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel - Both had pretty strong final episodes which wrapped up the themes, stories and characters of the shows nicely
    Band of Brothers - Not sure if that counts as it was only 10 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Penn wrote: »
    It's tough. So many finales never live up to the rest of the show, and ultimately disappoint. I liked the ending to Lost, but it wouldn't be in my top 3. It depends if we're including comedies in this. This won't be 3 and won't be in any order, but good series finales I can think of are:

The Office (UK) - Perfect ending
    The Wire - Good ending for the show even if the 5th Season never reached the heights of the previous ones
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel - Both had pretty strong final episodes which wrapped up the themes, stories and characters of the shows nicely
    Band of Brothers - Not sure if that counts as it was only 10 episodes

The Office would be one of my three as well. Gervais saying **** off to Finch is a real punch the air moment.

The ending of The Wire is also great despite the series been patchy as well.

Six Feet Under's finale is incredible as well, it really is probably the best conclusion to a show ever.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Office would be one of my three as well. Gervais saying **** off to Finch is a real punch the air moment.

The ending of The Wire is also great despite the series been patchy as well.

Six Feet Under's finale is incredible as well, it really is probably the best conclusion to a show ever.

I've heard great things about Six Feet Under alright. Watched the first two seasons of it when it was on Channel 4 but they kept moving it all over the schedule and I just lost track of it and stopped. Might add it to the list of stuff I have to get through (The West Wing boxset is still staring at me from the shelf. Watching. Waiting. Wondering if tonight will be the night :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,229 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's a show revolving round S.H.I.E.L.D who have appeared (I think) in all of the Avenger films (Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America). It takes a group of superspies and puts them into the Marvel universe, with plenty of references to the films and characters. Pilot episode shows the spies coming together to form the team while investigating a case about a guy who has developed powers.

It's also got Joss Whedon involved (Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse and Firefly) who is easily in my top two writers/directors of all time :) I loved it.

I was quite disappointed with it myself, way overhyped before it began so it didn't live up to my estimations

• Advertisement

I've heard great things about Six Feet Under alright. Watched the first two seasons of it when it was on Channel 4 but they kept moving it all over the schedule and I just lost track of it and stopped. :D)

The fourth season is a bit of a mess but apart from that I recommend it highly.Up their with BB, The Wire and The Soprano's for me and a lot of others as well. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

GTR63 wrote: »
    Is the Breaking Bad finale crap already?
    Hate the way a show/game/film can be praised on premiere/release is kinda hated about 36 hours later. Happened so much the last year with games.

Has the tide turned? On the net it was at least 9/10 "it was brilliant" but that was Monday. It's SO much better than the average finale, getting closure as opposed to some "let's provoke discussion/annoyance until people stop caring" finales. I think people erroneously use the word "predictable" because there were maybe 5-6 things that needed to be wrapped up in the hour, but how it happens, and if it happens was not predictable! A swerve for the sake of a swerve or a crazy LOST ending wouldn't be fitting for BB.

Agreed on the internet souring in general - whenever I see that, it's time to get off the internet. It's like hating out of spite, hating because it's popular and just being a contrarian. You get it everywhere ESPECIALLY with games! I dunno, there's no other medium that constantly delivers like gaming does. Films disappoint, TV generally disappoints, music disappoints...:confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I want to know though : What's your top 3 series finales? Apart from Breaking Bad, I'm having a rough time coming up with good ones. Anyone?

I remember you saying you started Prison Break a few months ago, did you ever finish it? Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

he West Wing boxset is still staring at me from the shelf. Watching. Waiting. Wondering if tonight will be the night :D

FFS, get on it. Fantastic show! :P Tempted to start my forth watch through of it soon.
    Will also explain the current shutdown in the US perfectly as well, given it's identical to a major plot in a latter series :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

Lads ye should rewatch the x-flies. That is if ye liked it first time round. 7yr me would bring out the. Spare tv try to get signal before it stared in the kitchen.

I'm surprised my parents let me watch it at that age

Any of ye ever watch a series called Jericho?

• Advertisement

Charisteas wrote: »
    I remember you saying you started Prison Break a few months ago, did you ever finish it? Any thoughts?

S1 : Awesome! Although it felt like it got renewed for more episodes halfway through as they suddenly stretch out the plot by encountering roadblocks that stop them escaping a few times. Still though, great television; love the concept and characters, especially T-Bag. Season Ending is a HUGE slap in the face! I didn't mind as S2 was ready to go on Netflix lol.

S2 : They "finish" S1 after 2 episodes but immediately shoehorn into S2's plot which is annoying. Writing is still great, as are the characters, but could've done with less episodes per season. T-Bag really gets a more prominent role which is great.

S3 : 'what's old is new again' old-type setup in new surroundings - really liked it, and it ended when it needed to. was the perfect ending for T-Bag IMO

S4 : Shouldn't have been made. They BS you on deaths and getting people together, aw man. What's in the box? &^(£*$ you! BOO! The Final Break was alright, but I'd emotionally checked out well before that.

So overall it's a very smart show, clever writing and cool characters (I didn't think I'd like it, I don't like prison movies) a great show. Felt like it was exploited. They kept delaying payoffs and flimsily finding reasons to have more episodes. I reckon if it had 3 seasons of 12 episodes each it would've been one of the best TV shows ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

S1 : Awesome! Although it felt like it got renewed for more episodes halfway through as they suddenly stretch out the plot by encountering roadblocks that stop them escaping a few times. Still though, great television; love the concept and characters, especially T-Bag. Season Ending is a HUGE slap in the face! I didn't mind as S2 was ready to go on Netflix lol.

S2 : They "finish" S1 after 2 episodes but immediately shoehorn into S2's plot which is annoying. Writing is still great, as are the characters, but could've done with less episodes per season. T-Bag really gets a more prominent role which is great.

S3 : 'what's old is new again' old-type setup in new surroundings - really liked it, and it ended when it needed to. was the perfect ending for T-Bag IMO

S4 : Shouldn't have been made. They BS you on deaths and getting people together, aw man. What's in the box? &^(£*$ you! BOO! The Final Break was alright, but I'd emotionally checked out well before that.

So overall it's a very smart show, clever writing and cool characters (I didn't think I'd like it, I don't like prison movies) a great show. Felt like it was exploited. They kept delaying payoffs and flimsily finding reasons to have more episodes. I reckon if it had 3 seasons of 12 episodes each it would've been one of the best TV shows ever.

Agree completely. First two seasons are class but 3 and 4 are still watchable enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was quite disappointed with it myself, way overhyped before it began so it didn't live up to my estimations

yep I'd agree although I'm going to give it a chance to win me over by continuing to watch it as it was good enough just below expectations.

I would also agree about Prison Break and think ive posted about it on off topic threads here before great S1, really great, S2 was good fun in a whacky races kinda way but after that ugh it just got worse and worse and I wished I didnt keep watching all the Sylla / The Company crap.

now onto Breaking Bad...
    It was Great! and it was exactly what it should have been too imo.

Also I completely disagree it was predictable, ok maybe people could predict that Walt would die or that Jessie would survive but those were fitting and imo people would be pissed if the predictable things didnt happen because it really wouldnt be right. However I dont think I saw anyone predict how these predictable things would happen and they were for the most part moments of sheer Walt genius.

How he used Gretchin and her man (cant remember her name) to get his kids his money was brilliant and I honestly hadnt thought of that. I know he would use the Ricin on someone but didnt guess who and how Jessie got freed from his captors was another moment of Walt brilliance that I doubt anyone could have really predicted. Similarily I dont think anyone could have really predicted Walt would die because of a stray bullet catching him during that brilliant plan. As stated elsewhere it also had humour too and I also have to highlight the Badger and Skinny Pete scene plus yeah Todd's ringtone had me cracking up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

probably in the minority here but the Sopranos ending is probably my favourite ending of any show.

1.Sopranos
    2.Frasier
    3.The wire.

*honorable mention to OFAH and the Royle family for time on our hands and the queen of sheba episodes. What could have been.

Breaking Bad was enjoyable enough, could never live up to the hype. I think its a phenomenal show. Don't get me wrong, but all this "best show ever" stuff is too soon. Needs a revisit in about 3 or 4 years, see how it stands when it gets out of its own bubble.

This is the one ending that always sticks out in my head. :o
    Sorry for generalization of people being disappointed in the BB Ending, my friends were annoying me about being let down by it despite me being several seasons behind. :/
    Can`t be as bad as the Seinfeld finale, i`d of LOVED them to rectify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

curb_your_enthusiasm_tv_show_image_richards_dreyfuss_alexander_hines_david_seinfeld.jpg

they did!

SHIELD episode 2 (For those who somehow manage to avoid spoilers that are everywhere online).
    FURY! Loved the post-credit scene. Hope more characters pop up in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SHIELD episode 2 (For those who somehow manage to avoid spoilers that are everywhere online).
    FURY! Loved the post-credit scene. Hope more characters pop up in the world.

must admit I liked that but im still not that impressed but will continue to give it time so that maybe some characters can grow on me (atm I think some of them really lack any sort of depth which is something it shouldn't take more than 2x40min episodes to establish in at least some of them).
    Maybe it was just me but I thought the "twist" of the peruvian forces turning heel on them to use wrestling terminology was very telegraphed too and I felt quite a lot of the dialogue especially between their female leader and Coulson was a little contrived.

O and Penn break out that West Wing box set already, tis such a quality show and to any Sorkin fans out there the Newsroom continues (2nd season is now over) to be great imo but that might just be because it's clearly Sorkin as nothing else is quite like his writing style.

O and Penn break out that West Wing box set already, tis such a quality show and to any Sorkin fans out there the Newsroom continues (2nd season is now over) to be great imo but that might just be because it's clearly Sorkin as nothing else is quite like his writing style.

I do love Sorkin. Moneyball completely knocked my socks off and was one of my favourite films of the last few years, considering it's about a sport I have no knowledge of whatsoever.

Feck it, might give a few episodes a run over the weekend. Ease myself into it.

must admit I liked that but im still not that impressed but will continue to give it time so that maybe some characters can grow on me (atm I think some of them really lack any sort of depth which is something it shouldn't take more than 2x40min episodes to establish in at least some of them).
    Maybe it was just me but I thought the "twist" of the peruvian forces turning heel on them to use wrestling terminology was very telegraphed too and I felt quite a lot of the dialogue especially between their female leader and Coulson was a little contrived.

Yeah, it's staying a little bit by the numbers right now in terms of the "Story of the week", but Whedon always seems to start like that. It's the mysteries of the characters which are keeping me interested, though I don't like the way there's not one, not two but THREE "Science head" characters. But still, there's four characters with mysteries about them that I want to know more about.

I loved how much Newsroom S2 improved, mainly thanks to the fact they...

1. Lowered the focus on the vapid love triangle
    2. Made Don a far more likable, human character.

Made me lament the end of Studio 60 though; I'd have loved to see how Sorkin built on S1 and improved it :(

• Advertisement

I tapped out quickly with The Newsroom, way to smug and "wacky" banter all the bloody time. Wanted them all dead at the end of first episode.:(

I tapped out quickly with The Newsroom, way to smug and "wacky" banter all the bloody time. Wanted them all dead at the end of first episode.:(

tumblr_inline_mj6zfwNbIX1qz4rgp.gif

D.Q wrote: »
    they did!

That pic ain't appearing for me but when I quote it I see its the Curbs reunion. Twasn't the same it was more about Larry than Jerry(obviously when its Curb and not Seinfeld).

Season 2 has been better, love Jane Fonda's character the best but no way should Jeff Daniels have won the Emmy over Cranston and Spacey

Two new shows very enjoyable so far is Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist

LOL I lasted the first season, thought the main characters to be quite unlikeable with multiple rapid fire witty monologues but then have this weird sudden 'charming' idiotic scene that makes no sense, especially Mackensie. When they're actually breaking and uncovering news is interesting but it got more love-angle focused which is a bit grating IMO. S2 bagged some Emmys so I'm sure for others it's worth a watch but I've had my fill

IFI's Horrorthon (Thurs 24th - Mon 28th)'s film listing is up! IFI (Dublin City Centre) hosts a marathon of horror films (new, old, mostly indie) one weekend in October.

1383286_596278503743803_1441438421_n.jpg

http://www.ifi.ie/horrorthon (PDF here)
    The opening film "In Fear" is the only one with a guest - director introduction/Q&A.

Anyone seen Hachet I or II?

What ye all think of Love/Hate season 4 opener?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What ye all think of Love/Hate season 4 opener?

bit meh to be honest. Will struggle to live up to the hype this year

Watched IronMan 3, thought it was okay. Better than 2 but not 1 & Downey jr couldn't follow up on the what a total dickhead levels of 2 either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I am playing AC 3 at the moment I know wtih the GTA going on it's a small step back in time, but I realised its a difficult game to get through, without the scenery of Italy its a bit bland,
    I originally played up till the end of sequence 4 and gave up as it was painful to get through left it a while and now im only doing the main story its do-able, I thought I'd try them out and i gotta say I'm surprisingly likeing the Boat missions.

Best series ending goes to Blackadder goes forth, that is a very powerful end of a series.

Advertisement