Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thank you for that I had got it mostly, its just that it all seemed a out of nowhere.
    In the next game who in the "real world" would we be playing as Desmonds Dad? I just started to warm to him and that happens

Yeah, it came out of nowhere.
    Especially seeing as how Juno appeared with Jupiter and Minerva at the end of AC:Revelations and there was no sign of Juno being evil then.

To be honest I haven't really been paying too much attention to the trailers and info for the next game. Doing so for the previous games somewhat led to a bit of disappointment. Trying to go into this one with as little info as possible.
    I doubt it'll be Desmond's dad though. I'm guessing a new protagonist, though related to Desmond seeing as how they have the same ancestor (the Animus character in the next game is the grandfather of Connor Kenway)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

US Dramas: Oz, The Sopranos, Justified, The Shield, The West Wing, Lost,The Newsroom, The Walking Dead, Dexter, The Wire, Sports Night, 24, Generation Kill, Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Californication, Friday Night Lights, Entourage, Game of thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Homeland, Sons of Anarchy, Hannibal, True Blood,(Dramadies) Teachers, Chuck, (Reality) The Celeb Apprentice

1/2 good seasons: Prison Break & Heroes

Animated: The Life & Times of Tim, Family Guy, Bobs Burgers, The Boondocks, South Park, Archer, God, the Devil and Bob, Futurama, The Ricky Gervais Show, The Simpsons, American Dad!

Quiz show comedies: Would I Lie to You?, Mock the Week, Never mind the buzzcocks, 8 out of 10 Cats,

Comedies: Arrested Development, Peep Show, Seinfeld, Extras, The IT crowd, Father Ted, Brasseye, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Eastbound and Down, Black Books, Episodes, Red Dwarf

Wow we've some serious crossover BH! So happy the Walking Dead's back. Ease the void of Breaking Bad and Dexter being over!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,229 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New comedy show The Millers isn't too bad so far

Anyone played The Wolf Among Us? It's a 5-part point & click made by Telltale Games, who make The Walking Dead videogame. Episode 1 "Faith" is just out. (XBLA/PSN/Steam)

Set in the universe of the comic-book "Fables" by Bill Willingham. Great premise - fairytale characters are real (3 Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood etc) and after they get evicted from their homeland, they relocate - if they can pass as human, they move to a dingy section of Manhattan called "Fabletown", if not, they must live in "The Farm" upstate, which is basically a prison. This exile has shaken up the status quo and practically everyone's miserable, trying to adjust to life hiding from the rest of society.
    nzkp.jpg
    Mr. Toad, now a deadbeat slumlord barely supporting his young son, with Snow White

Positives
    • Art style is similar to the Walking Dead, but adding more colour to the palate is lots of harsh neon lighting. Looks great, like a moving comic book.
    • Voice acting is great and script is engaging. Characters' fairytales are now just their backstory, and while that effects their personality, what has happened to them since effects them even more. It's great to see how they've changed. At the end of this I really wanted to find out more & play Episode 2.
    • Piecing together an investigation was a lot of fun. There's no actual puzzles though.

Negatives
    • In action sequences, there's an over-reliance of split-second QTEs. It's gratingly annoying. Either make it easier or less invasive or just remove button prompts and let it play out. No I don't wanna play those again!
    • The game can feel more like you're passively watching the story as opposed to playing a game, more so than in the Walking Dead. This game could definitely have been a film instead. Saying that, there were some big choices that I had to immediately replay to see.

So it's clear Telltale are great at making character-driven stories, but lack in the actual gameplay front. That said, if you liked the Walking Dead I'm sure you'll like this. I'm on board for the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Don't know whether to pay for it in full now, or wait until the steam sale at cChristmas and get it discounted. I can wait two months, right?

• Advertisement

Yeah, why not wait until ep 2 is out and get ep 1 discounted. It'll save you "pining" for ep 2 if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm waiting the the full season to be released or if I see the season pass cheap before then, I'll buy then wait. Still have the 400 Days Walking Dead DLC in my collection to play.

Have started the Fables comics though.

In a way I want to wait for all the episodes to be released, but at the same time... I just really want to play it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Have started the Fables comics though.

Let me know how they are. After playing through Ep 1 I'm interested in checking it out. The video game story is set 20 years before the comic book so we're alright for spoilers lol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wow we've some serious crossover BH! So happy the Walking Dead's back. Ease the void of Breaking Bad and Dexter being over!

Great minds think a like (and there isn't anymore to that saying ;) ), and yeah glad The Walking Dead is back too. Whole rake of new characters also like Charlie from the West Wing. love how it seems everything had chilled out for them while the show was off air but now its time for sh!t to kick off again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thank you for that I had got it mostly, its just that it all seemed a out of nowhere.
    In the next game who in the "real world" would we be playing as Desmonds Dad? I just started to warm to him and that happens

I read that
    the modern protag will be a faceless employee at Abstergo, meant to be the player themselves. You'll sneak round the offices learning more about the company, but that the character will never talk or be identified as male, female, black, white...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I read that
    the modern protag will be a faceless employee at Abstergo, meant to be the player themselves. You'll sneak round the offices learning more about the company, but that the character will never talk or be identified as male, female, black, white...
    BOORRIIINNGGG

Great minds think a like (and there isn't anymore to that saying ;) ), and yeah glad The Walking Dead is back too. Whole rake of new characters also like Charlie from the West Wing. love how it seems everything had chilled out for them while the show was off air but now its time for sh!t to kick off again

Never watched West Wing, but the way you said that makes me think how strange/cool it would be if actual characters from other shows started showing up as survivors in Walking Dead. Have a more serious Chandler show up or Jack Bauer. :)

And after looking up Charlie from West Wing, to me he's always Gus from Psych.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Never watched West Wing, but the way you said that makes me think how strange/cool it would be if actual characters from other shows started showing up as survivors in Walking Dead. Have a more serious Chandler show up or Jack Bauer. :)

And after looking up Charlie from West Wing, to me he's always Gus from Psych.

ha that's be awesome a twist on those shows where actors show up in other shows playing themselves. How Lucky would a group of survivors be to add Jack Bauer to their group!

although now that i think about it I might have had a brain fart there as I dont think it was Charlie/Gus, it was someone else I know primarily from another show... must remember where I know "Bob" from... ahhh D'Angelo Barksdale from the wire!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ha that's be awesome a twist on those shows where actors show up in other shows playing themselves. How Lucky would a group of survivors be to add Jack Bauer to their group!

Damn it Chloe Rick!

If you're talking about the medical army guy, that wasn't Charlie from the West Wing, it was D'Angelo from The Wire. Same guy who played Adam Sandler's friend in The Waterboy.

The Walking Dead has one season to bring me back, or I'm out. Bar a few great episodes, the standard of the last two seasons has been fairly poor imo. Hopeful though, they seem to know that themselves and are trying to change it.

Penn wrote: »
    If you're talking about the medical army guy, that wasn't Charlie from the West Wing, it was D'Angelo from The Wire. Same guy who played Adam Sandler's friend in The Waterboy.

The Walking Dead has one season to bring me back, or I'm out. Bar a few great episodes, the standard of the last two seasons has been fairly poor imo. Hopeful though, they seem to know that themselves and are trying to change it.

yay I corrected my mistake just before someone else did! havent watched either WW or The Wire for a while and the name charlie popped into my head quick but yeah knew it wasnt quite right and D'Angelo it is.

I do think they kinda hit the restart button to a lesser extent and in a good way for TWD although after a few seasons it's going to feel a little samey for you I think as it can't be long before everything turns to sh!t for em and things fall apart with walkers invading left right and center.

I'm wondering will there be a new overall plan at some point like the CDC was initially, you know a way to get clear for good, or stop the virus (whatever you would call it) that is turning the dead into walkers, instead of just run or hold up and try and stay safe from them in different places.

yay I corrected my mistake just before someone else did! havent watched either WW or The Wire for a while and the name charlie popped into my head quick but yeah knew it wasnt quite right and D'Angelo it is.

I do think they kinda hit the restart button to a lesser extent and in a good way for TWD although after a few seasons it's going to feel a little samey for you I think as it can't be long before everything turns to sh!t for em and things fall apart with walkers invading left right and center.

I'm wondering will there be a new overall plan at some point like the CDC was initially, you know a way to get clear for good, or stop the virus (whatever you would call it) that is turning the dead into walkers, instead of just run or hold up and try and stay safe from them in different places.

I don't even mind that part of it, there was just a lot of sloppy writing and little character development, as well as huge repetition of the same plot points over and over throughout the last two seasons. It was in the episodes where they do something different and almost simplified a lot of it that gave the characters a chance to shine.

Awh, I thought Dule Hill was going to be in Walking Dead :(

This week looks awesome; Walking Dead, Arrow and Elementary all returning to Sky :D Add to that the fact Supernatural is back, Castle is back and I'm getting into Persons of Interest, and Tv is good again :D

Awh, I thought Dule Hill was going to be in Walking Dead :(

Now I'm just picturing Shawn and Gus in The Walking Dead. I'd say there's a chance Shawn would be thrown to the Walkers within a couple of weeks.:pac:

• Advertisement

watched the newest SHIELD ep and the same problem continues to be the case imo, the episode was again an improvement although a little by the numbers but the issue was the lack of character development. I'm sure they are saving some of that till special episodes based around the individual character being discussed but by then will it be too late.

For instance
    Coulson: what happened to him after he "Died" in the battle of New York aka The Avengers, or Melinda May: why she resigned from field work and her supposed legendary status previously, or Sky and her saying that people never believed in her before etc - I know they are trying to create intrigue with these points but to do so we have to care about the characters to begin with and so far they are still not giving us enough and when it looks like they might they stop themselves beforehand - Sky even mentioned how she didn't know much about coulson except that he likes old stuff which would have been an ideal time to highlight one of the old things he has and it's significance to him thus explaining more about his character but instead she just links into her own issue of people not valuing/trusting her and then again doesn't develop why
    not really spoilers about the episode just the show and characters in general thus far

watched the newest SHIELD ep and the same problem continues to be the case imo, the episode was again an improvement although a little by the numbers but the issue was the lack of character development. I'm sure they are saving some of that till special episodes based around the individual character being discussed but by then will it be too late.

Though they did
    have the cyber eye doll ask what they did to Coulson. she must've seen something with her X-Ray vision. Hope Mai follows up on this

For the lads on here that bought the new Pokemon game.

My nephew wants it for his birthday (Hope I get a prolonged go though :D ). Just wondering can anyone tell me what the difference is between X and Y?

I remember with Red and blue that some pokemon were exclusive to one game and I presume its the same with the new games?

Basically what would be the best one to get for him? Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Main difference is the pokemon available, yes. If you get Y, the Legendary pokemon in the game is Yveltal, in X it's Xerneas. Other exclusives are Mega Charizard and Mega Mewtwo. X has Mega Charizard X and Mewtwo X, and Y you can get Mega Charizard Y and Mega Mewtwo Y. There's no real difference in the storyline beyond maybe some small superficial changes to dialogue. There's old wild pokémon exclusives in the wild, but you can trade online to get them so it's not that big a deal.

Long story short, how I picked was which legendary I thought looked cooler, so I went with Y :pac:

Cheers for the reply. The Y exclusives do look better so Ill get him that :)

Thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Enough with yer video game talk, King Fernando is back!

David James is anyway, this time he's white with Blonde hair. What a crap keeper he is.
    Anyone else get Batman?

Went to see Ender's Game today.

Quite enjoyed it, but two things bugged me. One was the incredibly predictable "twist" near the end of the film.

The other was the horrid pacing; the movie was 2 hours and could have been 4. It should have been split up over two movies and actually given time to develop the characters. Instead, it rockets through what should be years in the space of a few minutes.

Anyone know if the books go into more detail about Ender's development?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Are the movies The Call (with David Otunga) and/or Spring Breakers (with Jeff Jarrett) any good?

Charisteas wrote: »
    Are the movies The Call (with David Otunga) and/or Spring Breakers (with Jeff Jarrett) any good?

You can get the ENTIRE PLOT of the Call from the trailer. There's no need to watch it afterwards. Otunga's in it for like 20 seconds. It's not a bad film, it's fine.

Spring Breakers is better, if you care about teen girls getting messed up and doing bad things, give it a go. Here's Jarrett's entire scene I edited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

GTR63 wrote: »
    David James is anyway, this time he's white with Blonde hair. What a crap keeper he is.
    Anyone else get Batman?

I wanted to get the game. But I can wait till Christmas. I have been watching a guy on youtube playing it. Not sure if I want to watch anymore as it well be spoiling the game on me

Advertisement