Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Anyone here watch orange is the new black?

I've followed it since it started looking season wasn't great but as soon as it got a bit of direction it turned around. This season is the same I'm 4 eps in and I'm like what's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,381 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Starman In a Legion episode? Star Spangled Kid as a JSA member? I'd say it won't be your typical wrestler appearing on tv show role like The Miz in Supernatural or even a jock role like Cody in Warehouse 13.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Obligatory "I thought Arrow was cancelled last season, oh you mean Felicity and Friends" post...

Pffft, Friends was cancelled ages ago, as was Felicity. :p

Going by all the recent cast announcements lately, there'll be even less Ollie time next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,979 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The world’s highest paid actor Dwayne The Rock Johnson's crazy charisma and comedic talent shine through in Central Intelligence, his partnership with Kevin Hart who plays the same role every film which is himself :p works well plus some good cameos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Ghost busters is good if you go in not expecting a ghostbusters movie.

It's a decent action/comedy movie with ghosts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Anyone here watch orange is the new black?

I've followed it since it started looking season wasn't great but as soon as it got a bit of direction it turned around. This season is the same I'm 4 eps in and I'm like what's the point.

Yeah I lost interest last season. Also lost interest in House of Cards and Borderline. Netflix need a new hit.

I've been watching Ray Donovan which is pretty good - Liev Schreiber plays a fixer to Los Angeles' rich and famous and makes their problems "go away".

New Mr Robot started last night too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Speaking of new netflicks shows Bojack Horseman is back on the 22nd - Didn't read the review but one popped up top of my search when I put the show name in to confirm the date which read "Season 3 deserves an Oscar (and every award)" which sounds alright to me :)

If you enjoyed S1 of Mr Robot you'll like S2, first 2 episodes were great imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

LOOOVE me some Bojack! Can't wait for Season 3. Couple of really devastating moments in S2 (and amazing/judicious use of an F-bomb at the end of the Prom Episode); interested to see how they treat Todd as his B sidestories were very erratic, and Diane's had a rough time of it as well.

How is Mr. Robot? I've never seen it.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    LOOOVE me some Bojack! Can't wait for Season 3. Couple of really devastating moments in S2 (and amazing/judicious use of an F-bomb at the end of the Prom Episode); interested to see how they treat Todd as his B sidestories were very erratic, and Diane's had a rough time of it as well.

How is Mr. Robot? I've never seen it.

Yeah I've championed Bojack many a time before, Mr Robot on the other hand can be divisive but I think it is great (so do most critics etc but there are some dissenting voices). S1's pilot is incredible and even those who aren't fans of the show seem to agree with that. There are some obvious homages to certain shows or most obviously movies but it tells a good enough story that that isn't an issue for me (not a rip off but an homage as said). It also nails the tech / hackers world better than anything else. It's the USA networks flagship show in many ways as their successes (despite getting good ratings and many being fan favorites) are not usually critical successes but this one def is.

Here's a very short plot summary for you:

Mr. Robot follows Elliot, a young programmer who faces anxiety, depression and morphine addiction and often can't really tell the difference between what's real and what's not as he works as a cyber-security engineer by day and a vigilante hacker by night. Elliot finds himself at a crossroads when the mysterious leader of an underground hacker group recruits him to destroy the corporation he is paid to protect.

Cool! I'll add it to the list! Always good to let a show build up for a few episodes before diving in so you're not hanging around forever! Just saw S2 started and there's a lot of buzz around the net about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, Bojack is quite good. I fight a losing battle with most people trying to explain that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Bojack's creator and artist were on the Nerdist podcast a while back, fun and interesting listen for any fans of the show. One of the things they said is that he purposely made the first six episodes have a different feel to the rest of the show so that people would watch it and think "oh I know how this show is going to be" and then go in a completely different direction. What he wasn't expecting is that loads of people would stop watching before that change and I think that's been my experience when trying to get people to watch it.

What he wasn't expecting is that loads of people would stop watching before that change and I think that's been my experience when trying to get people to watch it.

It is an odd, dangerous choice that doesn't seem to pay off even in the Netflix all-available format. Arrested Development S4 started off with Michael/George Michael plot-threads and the series in general was regarded as so-so; I'd wager a large portion didn't make it to the really funny GOB/Tony Wonder storyline or Tobias's arc.

That said playing the long game can be great for the fans who do stick around; like when they fleshed out Mr PB's character at Diane's birthday and their blazing row on screen.

Cool! I'll add it to the list! Always good to let a show build up for a few episodes before diving in so you're not hanging around forever! Just saw S2 started and there's a lot of buzz around the net about it.

Person of Interest also needs watching imo. And I thought that Ray Donovan was very good.

Recently watched Force Majeure which is great for family drama like only Swedish cinema can deliver.

Also watched 10 Cloverfield Lane which was fine and claustrophobic - woman is trapped in an underground bunker by a doomsday prepper - but a bit weird and silly. Good if you're into very very low-key doomsday films focused on a small group of individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Get Netflix and watch Stranger Things!

Is it good? I see Winona Ryder's in it so tempted to check it out. Only 8 episodes as well so not a big commitment.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is it good? I see Winona Ryder's in it so tempted to check it out. Only 8 episodes as well so not a big commitment.

It maybe the best thing Netflix have done and one of the best things made for tv over the last few years I think.

Right so. Will get to it after I finish House. 11 episodes to go.

More or less gave up on Preacher and Outcast after 3 or 4 episodes. Have the rest of the episodes sitting waiting for me to watch.

Watched the first 2 Mr Robot. Slow burning but really good. Looks like going to be uncensored this season.

Also need to start Dead of Summer

• Advertisement

Watching John Wick
    20 mins in and any sympathy I had for Theon Greyjoy is gone now

Recently watched Green Room

Taut and claustrophobic thriller from the director of Blue Ruin. It's got a touch of Hitchcock - or even Night of the Living Dead or an Assault on Precinct 13-style thriller - due to the small confines of the setpieces. Well worth a look if you liked Blue Ruin. Quite violent like it though. I thought Macon Blair was a bit underutilised but still, he's got a great face for acting.

Saw The Rocks new movie Central Intelligence today, actually really enjoyable and funny throughout and a lot better than I went in expecting.

Started watching Mr. Robot due to it being recommended by a friend.. I'm liking it so far :D

Lil reminder The Horseman cometh today (actually he is already here)

also Narcos S2 looks quality and drops in Sept

Luke Cage is also out that month.

Finished House last night so can move on to Stranger Things over the weekend. Though want to get back to infamous on the PS4 as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Watching John Wick
    20 mins in and any sympathy I had for Theon Greyjoy is gone now

I'm not an action filmy guy but this is an amazing film.

Saw Star Trek Beyond yesterday. It's pretty generic and average, but as such, its pretty good for a "switch your brain off and enjoy" film. Its straight forward but that means no plot holes or much stupid. It also looks really, really good in places. Its basically like a standard episode of Star Trek on TV, but with a massive, massive budget.

Also, Agents of Shield just announced
    Ghost Rider!!!!
    will feature in the next series!!! :eek:

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Saw Star Trek Beyond yesterday. It's pretty generic and average, but as such, its pretty good for a "switch your brain off and enjoy" film.

what did you think of JJ's new Star Trek 1 & 2 for comparison?

• Advertisement

what did you think of JJ's new Star Trek 1 & 2 for comparison?

Thought 1 was pretty good in terms of it satisfied me as a fan of the series.

Thought two was grand but hurt by the worst kept secret in movie history being used as a massive twist midway through.

But thought the public were both good. But out of the three, I think I would rate 3 as being the best, just. 3 doesn't have half the character development but doesn't need it. It's about an adventure and dealing with a new threat.

I think if you liked the first two, you will like the third as well.

Watching Star Trek: Into Darkness and Chekhov has just been told to put on a red shirt...

Teaser for next November's Justice League film.

And a teaser for next June's Wonder Woman

Justice League looks good.

Wonder Woman risks being compared to Captain America. I know that's what I thought when watching it.
    And looks like it's a case of a trailer giving away one of the big events at the end with
    The invasion of Themyscira

Justice League looks good.

Wonder Woman risks being compared to Captain America. I know that's what I thought when watching it.
    And looks like it's a case of a trailer giving away one of the big events at the end with
    The invasion of Themyscira

The part where she's being shot at and she's holding the shield, I thought why aren't the legs being aimed for instead, same thing I thought during The Winter Soldier..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

They both look good

But the first trailer for BvS looked good so I'll be a bit wary of them

• Advertisement

Edge has joined Vikings which is filmed in Ireland

Considering the utter distain critics are trating Suicide Squad with, I really thought it would be worse than it was. Don't get me wrong, it was probably a 6/10 film, but by and large, I got what I expected. I expected a summer popcorn flick that didn't require much thinking but looked pretty.

There's a sense, at times, that it's a set up for Justice League (it bridges the gap between BvS and Justice League with references and cameos) and the future Batman film. Joker is not featured anywhere near as much as ads make you think (the ads show about 75% of his scenes, some nearly in full...) and the story was incredibly basic. The villain is the usual Origin story; "Imma gonna destroy the world with my big magical cloud/hole in the sky thing, for no real reason than cause I have to provide the heroes someone to unite against".

But it's been too long since I got to enjoy Will Smith in a big blockbuster, and he and Robbie as Harley Quinn are great as the centerpieces. Other characters are largely left with no real time or room to develop, but Quinn is such a hoot of a character, I just didn't really care.

Not the greatest film of all time, but I feel if you go with less than zero expectations, you should have some fun.

Just finished Stranger Things.

What a show. Just brilliant mix of horror, sci fi and 80/ nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Just finished Stranger Things.

What a show. Just brilliant mix of horror, sci fi and 80/ nostalgia.

My favourite show this year. Brilliant stuff. Surely a season two?

eh i dunno wrote: »
    My favourite show this year. Brilliant stuff. Surely a season two?

Yeah, I think I saw the Netflix head say they'd be crazy not to do a second season.

• Advertisement

And the creators have said what they've planned for season 2

How did I not know there was a Van Damme series planned
    http://collider.com/amazon-comedy-pilots-2016-review/

Jackie Chan singing Adele in his new movie Skiptrace with Johnny Knoxville must be the most awesomely bizarre trailer of the year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/alison-brie-star-glow-netflix-923886

Alison Brie has been cast as the lead in G.L.O.W, Netflix's upcoming comedy series about the female wrestling promotion of the 1980s.

Love Alison Brie so hoping this is good.

Gene Wilder died today aged 83 :(

RIP Willy Wonka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Waco Kid. Heartbroken.

So many wonderful preformances in so many wonderful movies.

Gene Wilder died today aged 83 :(

RIP Willy Wonka.

RIP, love his collaborations with Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The Waco Kid. Heartbroken. So many wonderful performances in so many wonderful movies.

That's exactly what I first thought too. Little bastard shot me in the ass!

Yes, a legend. 83 is a great old age though. RIP

Honestly, I didn;t know he was still alive, though I now remember watching an interview with him where he was saying he retired because he didn't like what Hollywood had become.
    Loved Willy Wonka. Then there were the films with Richard Pryor. But I have a memory from my childhood of Willy Wonka in bed with a sheep. :)

Started West Wing. Saw the first 5 or 6 episodes before ages ago but decided to start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

"Werewolf?"

"There."

"What?"

"There wolf. There castle."

Between Young Frankenstein & Blazing Saddles alone Gene Wilder still gets multiple viewings a year from me nevermind the annual Willy Wonka watch at Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement