Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General TV/Movie/VideoGame Thread-Use Spoiler Tags for Spoilers!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Gotta have the token black guy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was joking with my brother they'd kill off Oscar once Ty got introduced. He laughed but we laughed harder when Oscar got shot.

Honestly, while it is partly due to them being the "black characters", so too did they all have the same character on other levels; especially with Oscar and Ty, they are both the "big black enforcer" characters so having them both there at the same time would only cause a conflict in the writing.

I loved the Guv' turning on Merle. Didn't see that coming. Be interesting to see what they do with him now; does he go back to the prison with Daryl? There's going to be tension with Glenn. Brilliant move, writing wise.

Loved Carl managing the Ty situation as well. He's not bad for a kid character.

Don't want to wait two months for the next episode :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

For some reason I thought WD wouldn't be back to the Summer so Feb is actually a relief! Agreed there, definitely moved pieces in place for an interesting 2nd half. Em, how come the Gov wants to immediately wipe whoever's in he Prison? Like he doesn't even consider 'hey these lads could have someone useful to add to our society!'. Even if it was under bad circumstances it was so great to see Daryl and Merle reunite after so long. Fully expecting Andrea to shout "stop!" before their execution, or at least long enough for Rick to come in all guns blazing.

Carl absolutely took charge, coldly acted under complete logic and safety for the group, telling those adults what's what. I was really impressed! I didn't really care for T-Dogg but I wanted to get to know the two black lads that have come and gone this season. They seemed like nice blokes and we never got to hear their story. The scene with the dodgy bearded inmate and Carol (aren't you a lesbian? Interesting!) was hilarious. I do think it's a point we don't know why he's in prison - like I wouldn't feel safe with that creeper around.

Didn't Darabont leave after S2 and they hired scab writers? Because if so, damn, that's the way to go! S3 has been my favourite so far. Even if it's missing my favourite character Shane. Mostly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Just finished my Breaking Bad marathon (got through all 5 series in just over 2 weeks), compelling viewing and the writing is just incredible.

When are the new episodes starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Charisteas wrote: »
    Just finished my Breaking Bad marathon (got through all 5 series in just over 2 weeks), compelling viewing and the writing is just incredible.

When are the new episodes starting?

Somewhere around April-ish. Don't know the exact date.

Do know it's the last season though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I think its even later than April I think it's as far as Summer 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

EdK wrote: »
    I think its even later than April I think it's as far as Summer 2013

Yeah, I'd say start date is more like July, or around the same time as when the first 8 episodes of the season started

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

walking dead episode 1 is free on xbox marketplace on christmas day, and all the other episodes are on sale for 200 points each on the 28th of dec. Ill finally get to play these yokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Has anyone seen the Hobbit yet? I saw it on Thursday, and LOVED IT! A great balance of Action,Comedy and Storytelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,222 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just watched the Love/Hate finale :eek::( BTW I'd love to see Sheamus on it

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen the Hobbit yet?

Ha ha ha! I came in to ask the same thing! Just back from it now - 3D/imax/HFR. The 48fps was jarring, especially at the start. Got used to it - the fight scenes (normal and slow motion) were really gorgeous. Dumbstruck by the beauty/vividness of the picture. Love the IMAX aspect ratio (same as TVs). The image was so sharp, there's a few bits like when Gollum or the troll move their face right up to the camera, and it's so detailed! Did u notice if you tilted your head, the 3D effect would wear off? That'll teach good posture! Not a big fan of those eagles, it feels you could cut out a lot of the movies if you used them more often :pac::pac: kayfabe! I think the high frame rate made it feel less grand, although some of the sets were just amazing. Must see it in 2D. Time flew by, felt like a lot of action scenes and less talking. Overall it's really an experience. Had a lot of time to sit with the LOTR trilogy so can't say for definite where it stands. The bit where they use the Witch King music when leader dwarf is ready to fight the one armed bandit was just amazing. What did u think of Martin Freeman as Bilbo?

Played Episode 1 of The Walking Dead game last night. Holy sh*t, this game is amazing. Why did I wait so long to play it?

Lucky sod, you don't have to wait months between installments! Excellen game. I hate kids in games, and generally being paired with NPCs but Lee and Clem are just amazing! Post us some thoughts as u go through the season. What platform are u playing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I finished TWD game on iOS on my iPad! it is f*cking brilliant!!

Is there many (or any) diffewrences between platform versions of the game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Just finished all 3 (I know S3 is only half finished) of the Walking dead and got the 1st game on Ipad plus now have a screener dvdrip copy of the Hobbit... I'm ready for this thread again :pac:

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Lucky sod, you don't have to wait months between installments! Excellen game. I hate kids in games, and generally being paired with NPCs but Lee and Clem are just amazing! Post us some thoughts as u go through the season. What platform are u playing on?

PS3. Have them all bought but internet trouble at home lately (and it's usually slow as f*ck anyway) so only got to download the first one so far. Probably be Saturday before the second is downloaded IF my internet is working. Choices I made in Episode 1 were:
    Honest with Hershel
    Saved Duck (My thinking was that Hershel would kick us off farm anyway, so best to team up with Kenny)
    It says I sided with Larry when he and Kenny were arguing (I was trying to be diplomatic. Gave Duck a bar after so still good with Kenny)
    Gave the girl the gun
    Saved Carley (She had the gun so thought that'd be best, though afterwards I thought that if I'd saved Doug, his tech knowledge could also have been useful)

What I love is that at the end when it shows you the percentages of what other people chose, most of them were pretty much 50/50. Goes to show that they're not easy choices. That annoys me in a lot of games (eg. Infamous) where you can do good things or bad things, but the bad things are usually so OTT that it doesn't seem like a real choice (Share food with everyone or KILL ALL THE PEOPLE!). This game, most of the choices really feel like a 50/50 decision

Episode 2 of The Walking Dead game is brilliant. A bit OTT, but still brilliant, with a great ending.
    A lot more varied in the "What choices did you make" than the first episode. I was mostly with the majority but I helped kill Larry (Kenny did it, but I agreed with it), which only about 32% of people did. Makes me think I might have been wrong. Ah well, prick anyway.

Best part of though was this exchange:
    Lee: What's that?
    Clem: It's a salt lick. Don't lick it though, it doesn't taste nice.
    Lee: Did you lick it?
    Clem: .... I don't know...

:D

Finished Episode 4 last night, so just one more to go. Episode 3 was just an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. Episode 4 was much more action orientated but still left me an emotional wreck afterwards.
    My only problem was that I accidentally let Ben drop in the bell tower, but I'm going to redo that bit to try and save him. I didn't expect the timer to go so fast, and hadn't really finished reading which button was which before the timer went and I let him go. I don't know if choosing to save him will matter or not (he might still end up falling or letting go himself), but I want to at least try to save him. Even though I nearly actually yelled "F*CK!" when I saw him with the hatchet he'd "found" jammed between two door handles. What a c*nt :D

If Episode 5 holds up to the promise of the rest of the game, this will be in my Top 10 of all time. Honestly, if you haven't played this yet, get it. It's incredible.

Episode 5 certainly holds up! It is such a brilliant game!!

Great stuff. Yeah, Ben was on borrowed time ever since he
    left Clem to die, opting to run away from her at the start of episode 4.
    I was done with saving him. However I did replay the decision at the end of the 4th episode,
    I let the zombie catch him and bite him, neglecting to save him, but it felt wrong choosing not to pull him up in the clock tower. If you let go he breaks his legs/survives the fall and dies screaming, as Kenny saw/approved of what you did.
    He means well but he's made too many big mistakes that put everyone at risk.

Just brace yourself, the 5th episode is the shortest of them all. It's still great though. Give yourself time to just sit with the game when you've finished to reflect on it. Definitely stick around for the credits as well.

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Yeah, Ben was on borrowed time ever since he
    left Clem to die, opting to run away from her at the start of episode 4.
    I was done with saving him. However I did replay the decision at the end of the 4th episode,
    I let the zombie catch him and bite him, neglecting to save him, but it felt wrong choosing not to pull him up in the clock tower. If you let go he breaks his legs/survives the fall and dies screaming, as Kenny saw/approved of what you did.
    He means well but he's made too many big mistakes that put everyone at risk.

Just brace yourself, the 5th episode is the shortest of them all. It's still great though. Give yourself time to just sit with the game when you've finished to reflect on it. Definitely stick around for the credits as well.
    Yeah, when Kenny mentioned about not having enough room on the boat for everyone, he was my pick for being left behind after the way he left Clem with the walkers. Then when he took out the hatchet and accidentally let the walkers in, I voted him out of the group. And yet part of me still wants to save him (even though he hasn't done one thing to deserve it). I don't mind if I save him and Kenny votes him out and we abandon him, but leaving him to certain death just doesn't feel right for the way I'm playing.

I'm not too fussed about Episode 5 being short, especially if I have to replay the end of Episode 4 again (not sure how the rewind thing works or how far back it'll bring me). The last few nights, I've finished an episode and then had to go straight to sleep. Hard to sleep then with so much to think about.

I am going to go through the game again and be an absolute dickhead to everyone! Let's see how that pans out! :pac:

I am going to go through the game again and be an absolute dickhead to everyone! Let's see how that pans out! :pac:

Haha, I want to do that too next time. Just be an absolute prick to Clem and Kenny. Right now, it's like I'm Daryl and Kenny is Rick. Next time, I'm going to be Merle :D

Finished it last night. Holy sh*t. What a game.
    When I played it Wednesday night, I accidentally dropped Ben. Kenny agreed to help come find Clem because I'd always sided with him. Last night, I went back and saved Ben, and this time Kenny said he'd been keeping score and I was against him more times than I was with him, so he didn't come. Didn't realise I was on such shaky ground with Kenny. I always tried to side with him except in cases where I'd try to be diplomatic. Glad I saved Ben though. He had a really great moment in Episode 5, as did Kenny because of it.

And when the walkie-talkie guy was listing off the bad things I'd done, he didn't actually have a lot on me, so I think I played through pretty well.

But man, Clem damn near broke my heart in the ending of the game. From her muffled crying when putting the walker guts on her, to seeing her parents as walkers, and then the whole finale with Lee... Oh man. I really hope when there's a Season 2 of games that we find out the two figures Clem saw were Omid and Crista.

This game grabs you by the balls and the heart at the same time and doesn't let go of either. One of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had.

Can we talk Fringe in here then? Since it ended for good last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Can we talk Fringe in here then? Since it ended for good last night :(

Loved the finale myself,
    a lot of throwbacks to it's past and the scene between Walter and Astrid made me melt.
    I'll miss it, particularly my weekly dose of John Noble being completely amazing.

Really enjoyed it.

The only slightly irksome thing was they played it safe. The Walter ending was obvious early on and it didn't take much risks in terms of producing a memorable ending.

But it produced a nice ending, one that will make everyone happy. The ending of
    Walter stepping through the portal with the boy was a great bookend imo; he started everything by walking a boy though a portal for selfish reasons and saves the world by walking a boy through a portal for selfless reasons.

Really sad to see it go. :(

With my monitor & graphics card out of commission, I got Netflix on the PS3. My goodness, US Netflix is just awesome - Punk's docu is up on it! Same with the nWo DVD and a lot of 2012 DVD releases. Been milling the Prison Break out of it (although that's on both)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

With my monitor & graphics card out of commission, I got Netflix on the PS3. My goodness, US Netflix is just awesome - Punk's docu is up on it! Same with the nWo DVD and a lot of 2012 DVD releases. Been milling the Prison Break out of it (although that's on both)
    what you think of prison break? First two seaons are class

• Advertisement

I'm about a third into S3 now. S1 was v well made but it felt like at some point 1/2 way thru the season they got renewed and stretched out the plot. The ending was a giant middle finger but I didn't mind since I could roll straight into S2. There's a couple of dodgy "lets go back" bits but overall it's a great show. I do like how they progress things and learn a bit about inmate society and bartering etc. Quite like the cast and it paints Lori from Walking Dead much better. Theodore is great. I like link as well. Everyone except his son, stoner douche who gets into trouble all the time! Bellik is great too. Brutally crass and honest about his selfish goals. Definitely recommend since it's all there immediately to watch. Would be one of the greatest shows if they condensed the season into 12 eps instead of stretching it.

Advertisement