Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax in Perth in New Tax Year

Options
  • 20-07-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

hi there,
    can someone please help me, I have been in perth for 5 months now and my company put me down as a non resident for tax purposes so i was unable to claim the tax free threshold.. then i realised i should be down as a resident for tax purposes so i explained this to them and they said they would change my form etc... so they did, so i was expecting to pay less tax this fortnight and recieve more pay but as it turns out im down 20 dollars and payroll have assured me that i was changed on the system.
    can someone please give me advice??? or how do i work out what i should be paying, ive been on the ato website looking at the tax tables but they are incorporating the medicare levy and i dont have medicare. please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Are you earning more than $84,000? Do you have private health insurance?

The Gov levy on not having private health insurance kicked in July 1st so this could explain why you are down money.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

no not earning that amount, im under it.
    im on a 417 visa so the only health insurance i have is really whatever cover i got with my travel insurance for the year (wouldnt be great i would imagine)

Do you think though i should be up, cas the rate of tax for non resident is a lot higher than a resident for tax purposes. i was expecting a nice little wager yesterday :( i think my tax in total increased by 16 dollars..

well this is what happened... i usually pay about 560 in tax every two weeks (this is when i was supposed to be down as a non resident . then just after the first of july my wages were put through manually and they took an extra 300 dollars off me (i didnt think this was even near right so i queried this with payroll) they had made an error they should only have taken an extra 16 dollars off me.. that was all as non resident...

so then this week i was put through as a resident for tax purposes so i though i would pay less tax than before.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Post up or PM your wage slip. Before and after.

Advertisement