Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which iPad Model To Get?

• 20-07-2012 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I'm currently travelling, using an iPod touch for all my Internet/app needs and I've decided to get an iPad as my sole use for a computer when I get back in October.

My g/f has a MacBook so I can connect it to that if needed. My question is: which model should I get? I want a 64GB 3G version. The new 64GB iPad is €799 whereas I could pick up an iPad 1 with the same capacity for around €350. What should I get? How does the original hold up nowadays in terms of speed and game playing? Is the Retina worth paying €800 for? I've looked at the iPad 2 and they're being sold for around €500 and upwards so if I was going to spend that much I'd probably go with the new iPad so think the 2 is out of the question.

Is there anyone who has owned the 1 and then upgraded to the new version?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

had the original version traded it in and got the new version.
    really happy with the new one, big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

What's your budget OP? Don't go for the iPad 1. Support for that is to be dropped with iOS6 so you won't want your new toy being obsolete in 2 months after you've bought it. It has less onboard RAM too so it's starting to struggle at this point anyway.

Performance wise, iPad 2 and iPad 3 are largely equivalent. The real upgrade was the screen and the extra graphics hardware to drive that screen. The downside of the iPad 3 is that it takes quite a while to charge so if you're a bit of a social butterfly, it might curb your mobility as it really is a bit on the slow side to charge. If you usually plug in overnight though you'll be largely OK.

I asked about your budget and I would say that if you can afford the 800, then the 3 is the way to go. I would suggest you pop into a retailer and spend some time examining both machines. The retina screen is very nice and once you get used to it, you can't go back, but if you've got a Touch and upgrade to a 2 then you might not notice too much. I own a 3 but I've a soft spot for the 2 in that it's good, charges fairly quickly, is a bit lighter and has a lesser screen resolution but is still a great device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

My budget allows me to get a new iPad. I was only thinking of the iPad 1 as the 3 will be well into its cycle by the time I get back and therefore, the 4 will only be around the corner so I thought about getting the 1 to tie me over until the 4. I imagine the price of 800 will stay the same for the new one. Then again, if I wait, I'll always be waiting. I'll be selling my touch when I get back and an Alienware M11X too. This year away has shown me that an iPad would be perfect for me.

I've had a go of the new iPad in stores over here and am really impressed by it although there wasn't a 2 beside it to compare against.

I think you're right about the future proofing. iPad 3 it is so. In terms of accessories, what do you guys suggest? Will a screen protector decrease touch sensitivity? I'll be using it to do some digital drawing and writing. I also have my eye on the Logitech aluminium keyboard cover too. Are there any must have accessories for the iPad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I would recommend the apple Bluetooth keyboard as the case with built in keyboard is heavy and bulky and you won't always need the keyboard. The Bluetooth keyboard is the same size and spacing as a normal keyboard do is more comfortable for typing. Also get the camera adapter if you have a digital camera.

Advertisement