Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel back in time or forward?

• 20-07-2012 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

If you had the choice to travel back in time or forward, which one would you choose?

What way? 103 votes

Back
    0% 0 votes
    Forward
    55% 57 votes
    Neither
    37% 39 votes
    Atari to-and-fro
    6% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Back, I'd love to live in Assassins Creed era (Florence in the 1400s). Looks lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Back gives me every opportunity. Forward gives me only uncertainty. Poor question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Back to the Caribbean during the time of tall ships. Sure I'd be a white overlord but it always seems to me like an adventurous time/place.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Shryke wrote: »
    Back gives me every opportunity. Forward gives me only uncertainty. Poor question.

I just mean to experience a certain time i.e. witness a historic in the past, live during a particular era or in the future to see what what technology etc is lke in 5000 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

How far back or forward? Or do we get to choose?

• Advertisement

How far back or forward? Or do we get to choose?

Ye i dont mind :D, its up to you could be the beginning of the earth/universe or the end of it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ohh ohh, id go to the end of the universe and set up a resturant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Don't forget your towel

would you name your restaurant enddie rockets?.. sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

nails1 wrote: »
    would you name your restaurant enddie rockets?.. sorry

Milliway's, I presume.
    Get yourself a copy of "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", OP. Then you, too, can get all these cool references that are being made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Ficheall wrote: »
    Milliway's, I presume.
    Get yourself a copy of "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", OP. Then you, too, can get all these cool references that are being made.

im gonna read that again now

thank you sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Forward of course! I really can't imagine people not choosing to go to the future. That's where possibility lies. We know about the past (to a degree) the future is a mystery!

Nah. I'm grand here thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Depends, if we have the ability to change things like putting a bullet in a few people then the past.
    I'm coming for you Ghandi.

But if not then the future!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Future all the way..preferably a few hundred years to see if we ever meet any green little men etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Future I reckon. More exciting to see what happens with humanity. The past would be great if you could come back to today. If you couldn't the smallest infection could end up killing you. Boredom might be a factor too. For some anyway. We live in a very fast paced, switched on, tuned in, on demand world and we've gotten used to that. Going back to a time where nothing really happened much on a daily basis and news was long in coming, as was communication and entertainment might get old real quick. Shít I'd take issue with going back to the 70's on that score :D

I wouldn't be interested in seeing the end of the universe. Very boring. Just quarks and such dying out and darkness going on forever. The start wouldn't be much cop either. Going back to observe, maybe even meet some of our pre human ancestors would be really cool though. I would be their god, or their supper. It could go either way. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Checks boards username...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

back.

And use my knowledge of the world to become a God on earth. Plenty of the oul S.e.x. with fair maidens and the like.

To be honest I'd love to be back in an era of swords and duels etc... seems great.

Would probably be bored after a year without a smartphone and laptop though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Back to the GPO in 1916, I'd be a clerk working there... I'D make sure I got all the money before the shootin' started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Forward only leads to a bleak post apocalyptic world, already ravaged by the undead hoard...

Buy ya, forward! Preferably to a time where we've left our solar system, although I'd probably be like a cave men compared to any of the other humans of that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I'd probably just head back to the 50's and 60's in Southern California for some good new (at the time) music, parties and women....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Back to the mid 90's. Without being any sort of expert, I know enough about stock market movements and sporting events since then to ensure that when I travelled back to today, I'd be bloody loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Forward of course! I really can't imagine people not choosing to go to the future. That's where possibility lies. We know about the past (to a degree) the future is a mystery!
    I think people who are choosing the Past (hundreds or thousands of years ago etc. not 1955) seem to think that they'd be able to cope nicely with how things were then. The truth is that the majority just wouldn't have the skills to survive. As for crowning ourselves some sort of Techno God well sure I know that the Earth orbits the Sun and that splitting atoms results in the release of energy but as the fella says "prove it." Plus there's the whole cholera/typhus/unsanitary thing going on in the past. Do I want to waste my only shot at time travel to end up in a place where I have to wipe my arse with moss and where I will probably die of some minor ailment? No, gimme the Future any day. It's flying cars and lasers and immortality for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

nails1 wrote:
    If you had the choice to travel back in time or forward, which one would you choose?
    Most definetly BACK!!!!!

First i would goto 1990 and buy 1000s of dollars worth of PLAIN M&Ms!!

Next i would goto 1987 to my middle school @ lunch time and buy many tubs of CABBAGE SALAD,ahhhhhhhhhhhhh i loved it!! (The best i ever had)

Next i would goto 1983 and stock up ON MANY HAMBURGERS from my elemantary school!!!! (Oh my,i love them like craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!!)

Last i would goto 1978 and buy many boxs of GOLDEN GRAIN macaroni and chedder!! -- BEST MAC AND CHEESE DINNER I EVER HAD...........

I would bring it all back here and slowly have at it :)

Oh my..................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

well if i went back i would be burned at the stake for witchcraft as soon as they see my ipod so i would probably go forward. hover cars...........swoosh vroom

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Forward, but a LONG way forward, maybe millions of years. I'd love to see how humans continue to evolve, or whether they're extinct by then, or whatever.

Still, imagine how disappointed you'd be to step out of the machine only to hear "wha're you fuggin lookin ah?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

jump forward 100 years see what technology we have, and see if ireland is still paying off its debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'd go back and invent the digital watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Back to whenever the euro millions was 100 odd mill and not won, then when I win I couldn't give a funk about time travel anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Go back in time so I can take credit for inventions and live like a king.

I'd go forward but knowing my luck I'd end up going to the year when the earth is destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

I'd go back in time and get the winning numbers for the euromillions,then go forward to see how I f*cked it up and lost it all !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Step 1: Travel forward in time
    Step 2: Buy Sports Almanac
    Step 3: Return to present
    Step 4: Gambling
    Step 5: Profit

what could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

If a crazy kid turns up one day asking about that Almanac, you know you'll have to shoot him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Back definitely. I don't want to see the future.

I would be a debutante in the Regency era, fabulously wealthy and the toast of the ton. A diamond of the first water, probably the daughter of a Duke or something. And gorgeous, of course.

As you can see, I have probably read too many romance novels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I'd travel back to the point just before I was given the choice to time travel and prevent myself doing it. Paradox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

mconigol wrote: »
    I'd travel back to the point just before I was given the choice to time travel and prevent myself doing it. Paradox!

temporal causality would kick in and stop you from doing that:

the fact that you go back to stop yourself, means you would not have travelled in the first place, meaning you would not be presented the oppurtunity to go back.

easy to understand ain't it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Travel backwards= Become a god. Being clean and showing them your perfect teeth would probably be enough to convince the people there your Jesus reborn. I've been learning how to make things like steel and glass in the unlikely event I get sent back in time so I can build a super advanced civilisation when I go back.

Forward= Become someone's pet.

Future person: You probably still believe in the big bang..
    Me: Why, it isn't true?
    Future people: LoL! everyone falls over laughing.
    Me: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Forward, definitely forward.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Travel backwards= Become a god. Being clean and showing them your perfect teeth would probably be enough to convince the people there your Jesus reborn. I've been learning how to make things like steel and glass in the unlikely event I get sent back in time so I can build a super advanced civilisation when I go back.

Forward= Become someone's pet.

Future person: You probably still believe in the big bang..
    Me: Why, it isn't true?
    Future people: LoL! everyone falls over laughing.
    Me: :(

timetravelcheatsheet.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is a varnish on the past it mostly does'nt deserve .Movies are responsible for the Varnished views people have but many accounts contain ideas left out of Films .Most people had lice and smelled bad even a hundred years ago .They rarely washed and bathed once a year .There are few ideas to commend the past but business dictates market demands ..

Sea Filly wrote:
    Forward, definitely forward.
    Nothing good forward my friend,THE GOOD TIMES ENDED IN THE LATE 80s :( (Quality started going down,etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Irish Stu

I don't think you can travel back in time before the point when the time machine (or whatever) was created, if you did then your machine would cease to exist and then Whoops! :o
    I travel forward into the future all the time , in fact I'm leaving right now...

Well the time machine ENABLES YOU TO GO BACK! (To even before it was made) so it might work......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Did anyone see the Furturama where the professor made a time machine that could only go forward in time, They want to try it out for one minute but accidently get shifted 10,000 years in the future. The end up going to the end of time where the big bang happens and the go forward again to the part they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

travel back of course, make up for stupid **** i did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

do we get to change back to the present if we dont like it? anyhooo id go back 20yrs and "write" every number one song that been around for the last 20years and be rich!!! hahaha rich i tells ya,, rich!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I know the answer to this because I've seen Samurai Jack.

Back obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Travel forward - just to see a couple of things. Just to prove in my own mind that the critics were wrong. That no matter how bad the human race becomes, it didn't engage in complete annihilation of our own species. I don't think we're at the stage (yet) where natural evolution has reached the 2-3 million year mark where a reboot of existence is required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thinking more on this the future mightn't be much cop. At least with the past you might have some idea what to expect. Look at us today, then look at say 1952. The pace of change in everyday life has been subtle but constant. In particular with regulation and decreasing privacy and increasing interconnectivity. We are bombarded with so much today, but because we've grown up with it we can deal with, even enjoy it, but still there is the sense of overload at times. One could argue the rise of depression anxiety et al are partly explained by that(both are very rare in "primitive societies"). Now imagine the level of that in a century if we continue on this path. In that time we might be plugged into each other in ways we can barely imagine today. Imagine being dropped into the middle of that without some sort of decompression into it? Jeeebus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement