Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sweetpea, what am doing wrong

Options
  • 20-07-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

Hi all, My sweetpea not looking well at all, not many flowers and leaves turning yellow at middle and base, and help i would really appreciate,
    will try upload photo.
    Many thanks
    Sweetpea.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could try giving them a liquid feed. At least you have flowers. Mine are still small and pathetic, with no sign of flowers. I am blaming the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

I would liquid feed as Looksee suggested. Could be that the pot is too shallow too- they tend to like a deep root run. The deeper the pot the better for Sweetpea.

Of the flowers that you have had- once the flowers fade dont let them go to seed- make sure you remove them. Once they flower/ start to produce seed, sweetpea think 'ah my job here is done'

We say 'Oh No it aint' :D Remove seed pods and your plants should live longer as they strive to produce seed, thus flower for longer, what we strive for. :)

Theyre also prone to mildew but I cant tell from pic but worth keeping an eye out for with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

thank you both :) have been giving them feed all right, I'd say your right about pot muckyhands, did not know they have deep roots, and have them in window box, do ye think i could replant them? or just leave them, and learn for next year, thank you both for quick reply, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just learn, I think. Yes, they have astonishingly long roots, if you are growing them from seed it is better to transplant them as seedlings to really deep pots (or toilet roll tubes :p). If you try to lift them now you would find there is a tangled mat of roots which are not likely to straighten out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

As has been said before - sweet pea have deep roots - so use long root trainer or toilet rolls to sow in. They also like to drink ( a bit like me ) so plenty of watering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Toilet roll tubes are great or make your own paper pots out of newspapers like I do. :)

Sow some more September/ October for next year if you can (keep them in a coldframe or similar over winter) Youll have strong plants with a head start for next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭sdp

Thank so much for all your help, I'll do that for next year,:)

Advertisement