Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Year Too Long In Connemara?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Just mis-quoting the book 'A Year In Connemara'.

I'm a Dub, living deep in Connemara. In general, made to feel totally unwelcome, unwanted and the subject of unbelievably slanderous gossip.

I'm variously a IRA bag man, a bank robber and worst of all, a drug dealer.

While they are some decent people here (usually ones that have travelled away and come back), most walk around with a chip on their shoulder. Anyone from the Pale is suspect, and are treated accordingly so.

Its funny, because they have no problem taking money for minding the offspring of those who they consider the enemy in that giant waste of money, the summer Irish schools.

Connemara is a nice illusion, the reality is somewhat different.

John O'

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You sound like you are trapped in Inverin....it isn't actually Connemara on a technicality....but the rest of Connemara is fine actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Qp4Me

Inverin is positivly civilized compared to the place I am....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Connemara can be clicky alright because everyone knows everyone else.
    Jackeens are usually not welcome or at least viewed suspiciously for the first 10 years.
    Why are you there if you don't like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

biko wrote: »

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Doesnt surprise me a single bit.......this notion of Irish people being famous for their welcomes, I never saw any of it whenever I've gone on holidays in Ireland.....the opposite if anything. been on holidays in ireland the past few years, I suppose out of economic patriotism as much as anything else; but jasus you would think with this economic recession and the whole tourism industry on its knees issue that people might be friendly or help you out with things.....not in my experience, quite the opposite....particularly in west of Ireland......much better service in places like wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,438 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Had the same problem in rural Mayo a few years back - damn place was like Roston Vassey without the rural charm.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Qp4Me wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a Dub, living deep in Connemara. In general, made to feel totally unwelcome, unwanted and the subject of unbelievably slanderous gossip.

While they are some decent people here (usually ones that have travelled away and come back), most walk around with a chip on their shoulder. Anyone from the Pale is suspect, and are treated accordingly so.

Its funny, because they have no problem taking money for minding the offspring of those who they consider the enemy in that giant waste of money, the summer Irish schools.

John O'

i hear yea, when i moved here first back in 95, i had the Guards bang at
    the door. they almost confiscated my lettuce plants i had growing in my
    yard. they were acting on a tip off from a nosy neighbor.
    Ive heard everything from rural resettlement scheme, to they had to get out of Dublin.
    we have some great neighbors and friends now, and as mentioned above, it does take time.
    it probably got better for us when our kids started at the local school.
    if its possible try and get more involved in the community, or just simply
    go for a pint on your own. let your own good name speak for its self.
    and after all that if some still want to believe your an ira drug dealer, let
    them. their the one with the problem.
    just remember, don't let them know the real reason we're here. icon12.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thing about rural Ireland is that they only remember the most outrageous stories. So I only tell them the most outrageous stories me. :D

The only IRA gun runner ever caught in Connemara was caught in Inverin in 1999 with a few magnums and glocks etc. She was a blow in for sure, she came from Spiddal. :p

The drug dealing thing probably comes from a recent movie scriptwritten by a London Irish chap of Connemara origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

If you dont like it leave, its that easy.
    If I had to live in Connemara I would get to be a regular at the local pub or what ever your hobby is ,football,cycling,fishing or knitting, book club or even computers.
    Learn irish even a small bit that alone will win you some friends. I am from Galway, not Connemara but I like it there and have some good friends from there.
    They will think anybody new has to work to be welcomed so do yourself a favour and work with them. You can reap the rewards or head home defeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

A mate of mine is working there last few months and has the same problems as the OP. Rural Ireland can be a real paradox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

weird - granted, we're only on the outskirts of Connemara, but I find the locals grand, most of them stop for a chat, you can always have a bit of a natter in the shop, and if there's bad rumours about us, I haven't heard them and I don't care...If you need help, they will help. (and we're as bad a blow-in as you can get...what with my being German, and my 'G4' husband and half-German half-Irish baby...:D)

just my positive 2 cents...

(I can see why people can be cliquey alright, but that's the case in any established community anywhere in Ireland...)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mog24

Well for me, I have been going to Connamara for 7 yrs, visiting for up to 6wks at a time, or quick visits for a few days when time and money permits! Never had a problem with the locals, and in fact have made some friends. I suppose we all experience things differently.
    Having said that, I am looking to rent short time in Clifden, e.g two months from Sep. Anybody got an empty house/apt they want to let? I can supply references. Its so hard to get anything that is not MAJOR money, as in holiday lets. Maybe you are trying to sell and could do with a few bob in your back pocket??? I am a home owner so will take good care of yours,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Qp4Me wrote: »
    Hi,

John O'

Can you give details in which part of Connemara you live...its a big area, so maybe we could give you some tips if we know where abouts you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

biko wrote: »
    Connemara can be clicky alright because everyone knows everyone else.
    Jackeens are usually not welcome or at least viewed suspiciously for the first 10 years.

offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

OP seems you are built in sterotypical views about rural ireland. strangers are treated the same way in Dublin as the rest of the country. You wouldn't expect your neighbour in dublin to rush around welcoming you..??

Make an effort, get involved in something locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

sealgaire wrote: »
    strangers are treated the same way in Dublin as the rest of the country

No they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭tphase

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No they are not.
    true - Dublin is worse:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The road I live in is fairly old Dublin plenty of new people have moved in and everyone gets on with everyone, that would include non-Irish and people who are from the country.

To be honest, I know its not a popular opinion, but I dont find Irish people that friendly to other Irish people when I go outside of Dublin. This notion of "Ireland of the welcomes" might apply if you are American, but whenever I've holidayed West of the Shannon I have definitely noticed that people are not that friendly.....even compared with say towns in Kildare or Carlow or Meath.

I get the sense that if you are from Dublin, then people think you are too big for your boots before you've even walked in the door, and they need to cut you down a peg or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gradnic

I moved to Connemara from a city 11months ago. I knew more people here after a couple of months than I did in the 12 years in a city housing estate. I have never been treated like an outsider here. Why? Because I speak Irish, and I make no secret of the fact that I celebrate my new life here. I tell people all the time that I love it here and as with any other area, a positive attitude gets a positive response. I have to say there are people who moved here and do nothing but complain. I'm a newcomer and I find them annoying, so I can't imagine how it makes the locals feel. There are some odd people here, but you get that everywhere. I would love to know what effort that person made to contribute to the community or did he/she expect the locals to make all the effort. It reminds me a bit of those Irish and English people who go to live in Spain, and complain that the area isn't more like home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Learning Irish makes a massive difference. My OH learned Irish and fits in fine here now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Honestly, Im surprised with the replies in this thread. Some of you have just made it sound even more like a shut in and unwelcome community.
    Cant say its made my view of the area any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

To be fair the pop at the irish summer schools was uncalled for to begin with,
    putting that aside I did interpret it as a cry for help myself but the internet is not known for empathic responses in such situations moreover it attracts those with their own particular axe to grind, lets hope the OP saw them for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

I'm from a Gaeltacht area of Connemara and we have an oldish couple from Dublin living locally the last few years. Everyone gets on well with them and they interact an awful lot and are better neighbours than most of the "natives" are. Never heard a bad word said about them and I pretty much see them as locals now. They will always be referred to as "blow-ins" though, it may sound like an offensive term, but it's not.

Main thing is, they make an effort. It doesn't have to be a huge effort. One thing you need to remember is that people in rural Ireland not only know everyone, but they also know of the several generations that came before them, and the various branches of their family trees. Obviously new comers are not going to be instantly accepted. Get over it, that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Very negative thread :-(

Rural life is different to city life, big surprise :-)

Some people find it hard to make the transition when they move from City to Country (Or Country to City) and end up thinking that, they're a cold people around here.

But the fact of the matter is that people are pretty much the same where ever you go, you need to find out what makes them tick and get involved. It takes time to gain peoples trust and you need to put in the effort, it is unrealistic to expect people to engage if you do not reach out.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Here's a question: How much difference does it make whether you go to mass or not? That weekly get-together is for many a shared community event (and for the non pub goers, one of the principle occasions of rumour/story/gossip sharing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Mass is a great opportunity to meet people.That said, near where my parents live there is a couple who just moved in, they don't attend but have tea and coffee afterwards in their house, right beside the church, smart people!

Advertisement