Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the iPod Classic offer the best overall value?

• 20-07-2012 8:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I don't need Apps, or Wifi or any of that shíte, I just want to play music. I only need a minimum of 30GB but would like more.

For 230 I can get a 160gb iPod Classic. Nothing else seems to get close to offering that kind of value, so what am I missing?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The ipod classic uses a micro hard drive, everything else uses flash memory. At 160gb hard drive is cheaper than flash memory. While HDD are supposedly less reliable than flash i'm dubious about that in real life as my 5/6 year old ipod 5th gen (before it was rebranded the classic) is still running today - granted I hadn't been using it much, it did die but came back and now it's in the car full time.

Another option is to buy a device with expandable memory, like the Sansa Clip+/Zip and also buy a 32gb/64gb microSD card to stick in it - that should cost you less than €230 in total.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah I've thought about the Sansa Clip, the only thing about that is I currently use my phone to listen to music with a 4gb SD card, and sometimes when I add some files onto the card they come up as unknown artist etc. So I'm concerned that if I were to transfer my whole music collection onto a larger card then I'd discover that there's a crap load of unknowns in there, and I'd have to spend god knows how long re-organizing everything.

Plus, although a lot of people hate iTunes, I actually love it (maybe because I'm using it on a mac?), everything's organised as I want it in itunes, and I know that with an iPod the transfer of files will be seamless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

All I can comment on is the Unknown. I haven't run into this problem, but hypothetically if that did happen I could always revert from the "Database" to "Folder View" so the files would show up identically to how I transferred them over.

I sometimes use itunes on my mac too, still dislike it though as it murders my ram - a non issue as I rarely use it these days anyway.

Advertisement