Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharing my OneIdea

• 20-07-2012 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

JailBreaking and Unlocking is a very simple process for some and others feel its just as easy to go to a shop and pay, however with that in mind many most likely put it off as an expense best kept.

My idea is simple and makes the hole process painless and nobody has ever done this before.

Customers wanting to have their iPhones unlocked would simple book a time and date allowing a 15-30 minute window for an operator to arrive and unlock their phone.

...and how are they going to do that... simple, through remote desktop.

All the customer has to do is connect their iphone as normal to their PC or laptop, the operator would connect to the customers computer through remote desktop and using such software as redsn0w put the iphone, ipod or ipads into DFU mode and run the jailbreaking program and or anything else they may have booked at the time...Unlocking etc...

The only obstacle I foresee is setting up a good order page (webpage) with various option such as operating systems, device current versions and of course a time and date that suits each party.

Perhaps a small window of 9-5 Mon-Fri to start of with until word gets around the net and others start to copy your business idea:mad:

For legal purposes your not selling a phone unlocking service, your selling your time for which I don't think anyone would mind paying 10euro.

So what do you think about that OneIdea, I would do it myself only I don't have the spirit in me to start another website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

good idea, if its possible to do this over remote desktop.

not that i'd personally pay for a jailbreak, but some might.

i find that most users dont jailbreak, not because they cant but because they think they are voiding the warranty.

and dont you need do the hold the power/home button trick to get into DFU mode? (which is probably the most annoying thing about jailbreak).

and there's always somethign that makes it take longer than 15 mins, like ensuring the latest itunes version is installed or ipsw etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

DFU can be done through software, no need to hold the buttons.
    4.jpg

As for the rest, yes emm this is where the order page comes in, everything must be in place before the booking time commences.

Either instructions are sent based on order criteria or the operator can transfer the appropriate file/s.

If you could imaging a call centre and the questions they ask about your equipment... well the operator needs to have all these packages ready for each conceivable event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

To remote desktop into someone's PC they would have to configure their port forwarding on their router - this will be a blocker to your idea.

Alternatively you can use a third party remote desktop application that gets around this. But the customer would need to install this beforehand. Another blocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

If someone can download an ipsw or redsn0w then they can jailbreak an iPhone. It's all self explanatory with hundreds of guides and videos available showing what to do

To remote desktop into someone's PC they would have to configure their port forwarding on their router - this will be a blocker to your idea.

Alternatively you can use a third party remote desktop application that gets around this. But the customer would need to install this beforehand. Another blocker.

Yes I understand the obstacles you mentioned but again this could be all prearranged from the order form down to primarily downloads and actions the customer must take, prior to the booking date... Steps to complete etc...

A nightmare to perfect the process I'm sure... but after a few trials it just might work out for somebody wishing to start a home business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To be honest:

"Let me remotely access your PC and phone so I can jailbreak it"

Screams out scam!

guil wrote: »
    If someone can download an ipsw or redsn0w then they can jailbreak an iPhone. It's all self explanatory with hundreds of guides and videos available showing what to do

Yeah of course your right... but that's just the point... there are hundreds of videos along with hundreds of questions from end users having difficulties.

..anyway its just an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

full marks for initiative but I would never, under any circumstances, give remote access to my home PC to anybody. Anyone wanting time on my iMac gets the Guest account. Given that a lot of people are not tech savvy at all, you'd find an awful lot of them very wary to go this route as well. To be honest if a relative approached me with an ad for your service, I'd strongly advise them not to partake. You sound genuine and honest but for every one like you, there are 2 scam artists out there.

squonk wrote: »
    full marks for initiative but I would never, under any circumstances, give remote access to my home PC to anybody. Anyone wanting time on my iMac gets the Guest account. Given that a lot of people are not tech savvy at all, you'd find an awful lot of them very wary to go this route as well. To be honest if a relative approached me with an ad for your service, I'd strongly advise them not to partake. You sound genuine and honest but for every one like you, there are 2 scam artists out there.

I don't mean to drag this thread out, but if a company like Apple or a reputable service center started using such a service for fault finding/software problems etc...

Would you trust them?

You have me thinking now also about how itunes works for example, simple put its basically a form of remote access... when you update your iphone software.... perhaps one day some genius could create a similar software package that would connect to a remote server and jailbreak your phone along with unlocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think you'd need to think this through carefully. The main barrier most people have to jail breaking and unlocking is the fear that something will go wrong and that they'll brick their phone etc. I'd imagine if they pay you to do it they might consider they are also paying for you to take responsibility for any such disasters. When you supply a service you are legally obligated to the customer, if you break their device you could find yourself being asked to fork out for a new one or pay for repairs. Of course we know true disasters are rare but there are small problems on a regular basis,example ,I can't JB or itunes restore on my laptop for reasons I don't understand. For some reason both brick the phone and return errors.I always have to do it on another computer.Unless you can confidently fix every problem that might arrise and are willing to pay for someone to find help locally if something goes wrong I would not go into this as a legit business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement