Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

It's a sad state of affairs that when I heard 'mass shooting in America', my first thought was 'oh, again?'

What a sad end to what should have been a great day for everyone there

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

old hippy wrote: »
    Because then you get an armed populace which increases fear and retaliation and innocent bystanders. No thanks.

So the populace in a country like the US with a high rate of firearms ownership and people willing to use them on others should be unarmed and vulnerable to events such as this? Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blay wrote: »
    It makes sense in some ways, if there are guns out there and people willing to use them for the wrong reasons then why should person A not have one to protect themselves?

I think its been shown that those who own guns are more likely to get shot as they pose a threat that they otherwise wouldn't.

Also suggesting that a gun battle in a dark enclosed area is the best way to stop a gun toting killer behind a plume of smoke is retarded - instead of 12 dead there would probably be twice that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

So the populace in a country like the US with a high rate of firearms ownership and people willing to use them on others should be unarmed and vulnerable to events such as this? Makes sense.

Why stop there, they need armed militias and gated communities, too. Just to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Not sure if its been posted, but its highly relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. Jack the Ripper and Albert Fish's Xtravision account shows multiple hirings of Evil Dead II.

link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It's an incorrect stat, you're actually 5 times more likely in the US. The homicidal rate is 5 times higher over there, the violent assault rate among youths 12 times higher.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=countries+by+homicide+rate

Nonsense -

USA 4.7 per 100,000
    Europe 3.5 per 100,000

From your link!!

http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/statistics/Homicide/Globa_study_on_homicide_2011_web.pdf

Estonia has a worse homicide rate than the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

danniemcq wrote: »
    oh aye, sure look at Canada. Way to polite to spoil movies but just as many guns and nowhere near as many deaths!

I always thought Canada was a heck of a lot safer than America, what the hell is goin on with people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Why stop there, they need armed militias and gated communities, too. Just to make sure.

:rolleyes: Right, discussion over.

No matter what we think people still carry firearms in the US for their protection be it right or wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Because then you get an armed populace which increases fear and retaliation and innocent bystanders. No thanks.

It is interesting to make a comparison between States which, for example, have few prohibitions on an armed populace (eg Vermont all but allows you to carry pretty much any gun, anywhere, any time without a license) to States which have far stricter controls, such as California where I, an Army officer with a great security clearance, am not permitted to carry anything bigger than a Swiss Army knife.

Every time there is a move by a State to make it easier for people to carry firearms, there are those who bring up a parade of horribles, blood flowing on the streets, etc, yet it has never happened, and we have about 20 years of data to draw upon now.

The bottom line is that allowing people to be armed on a daily basis does not make the violent crime rate worse, and usually doesn't make the violent crime rate better. It does, however, have a direct effect on the vulnerability of the individuals who choose to be armed.
    I think its been shown that those who own guns are more likely to get shot as they pose a threat that they otherwise wouldn't.

So what? It's my choice to bring a gun, it's my choice to produce it. If I'm using as firearm, it's because I -already- think life is at risk, so from my perspective I'm certainly no worse off because of it. At least it's a variable under my own control, and the 'threat I pose that I otherwise wouldn't' could prove quite viable.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Right, discussion over.

No matter what we think people still carry firearms in the US for their protection be it right or wrong.

And when everyone is tooled up, a utopian age of peace and goodwill follows?

Nah, have to legalise pot as well to make that happen. :)

An armed society is a polite society is a phrase which probably came about for a reason

However, since we know we're not in a utopian age of peace and goodwill right now, I don't see how giving individuals a fighting chance (literally) against what we can consider the forces of evil is a bad thing.

An armed society is a polite society is a phrase which probably came about for a reason

However, since we know we're not in a utopian age of peace and goodwill right now, I don't see how giving individuals a fighting chance (literally) against what we can consider the forces of evil is a bad thing.

Well, I don't believe in "evil" but I don't reckon having everyone tooled up is the answer, either. That massacre would have resulted in a helluva lot more casualties had everyone been armed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

When I think of how excited everyone was in the theater I was in last night and then think about all those poor people all feeling the same excitement as us and then getting cut down like that...it just makes me really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Interesting article from the Huffington Post today related to the shooting. Although mass shootings are more common in America lately, single victim shootings are down.

Article:
    Single-victim gun killings have dropped more than 40 percent since 1980, according to 2010 FBI crime data. But the total number of people dying in attacks that claimed four or more victims has climbed from an average of 161 a year in the 1980s to 163 between 2006 and 2008, according to FBI statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

MadsL wrote: »
    Wanna try a source for that?

Era, you could do this stuff yourself.

in 2011 there were 103 homicides in Oakland. Oakland has a population of about 400,000. Northern Ireland has a population of about 1.8 M, and that ratio has about been the same for the last 40 years i.e. about 4.5 to 1. The number of killings in Norn Ireland would have had to be therefore, about 450 per year to match the Oakland per capita rate.

Which maybe it was for one of those years. Not all. If Norn Iron had a killing rate of 450 per year, it would be 13,500 over the 30 years of the troubles, and you listed about a 1000-2000.

Well, I don't believe in "evil" but I don't reckon having everyone tooled up is the answer, either. That massacre would have resulted in a helluva lot more casualties had everyone been armed.

You don't know that. For all we know, if one or two people had their guns we might only have 2 or 3 dead along with the gunman.

You don't know that. For all we know, if one or two people had their guns we might only have 2 or 3 dead along with the gunman.

Or 300 as everybody starts shooting.

• Advertisement

Era, you could do this stuff yourself.

in 2011 there were 103 homicides in Oakland. Oakland has a population of about 400,000. Northern Ireland has a population of about 1.8 M, and that ratio has about been the same for the last 40 years i.e. about 4.5 to 1. The number of killings in Norn Ireland would have had to be therefore, about 450 per year to match the Oakland per capita rate.

Which maybe it was for one of those years. Not all. If Norn Iron had a killing rate of 450 per year, it would be 13,500 over the 30 years of the troubles, and you listed about a 1000-2000.

I listed direct numbers of deaths linked to paramilitary activity in the 70s. You are comparing that to Oakland(!) in 2011?

The point I'm making is that paramilitary activity in NI and RoI killed far more than the nutjobs that some people on this forum are using to tar all Americans with the same brush. Typical thoughtless knee-jerk reactions without thinking about the needless deaths in Ireland and the UK. That's my point.

Or 300 as everybody starts shooting.

There have been a number of instances where personnel who are not members of the local constabulary have been present at incidents with their own firearms, be it the University of Texas or the New Life Church.

I am at a loss to think of any wherein this has resulted in an increased death toll (or even just resulted in the responding police shooting the wrong person), but perhaps you can link me to some to support your proposition.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Most societies were armed in the past and in comparison we do live in a utopian age of piece and good will.

Just to be clear I don't have a major opinion on gun laws as such, but I genuinely think the need to walk around armed every day has never been smaller. Certainly in Europe at any rate.

I listed direct numbers of deaths linked to paramilitary activity in the 70s. You are comparing that to Oakland(!) in 2011?

The point I'm making is that paramilitary activity in NI and RoI killed far more than the nutjobs that some people on this forum are using to tar all Americans with the same brush. Typical thoughtless knee-jerk reactions without thinking about the needless deaths in Ireland and the UK. That's my point.

Nonsense. The per capita rates of killing in Oakland have in fact, decreased, over the last few years, like most of America, so the rate would have been higher in the past. It was 100 a year when I live in San Fransciso about 6 years ago - they reported it every time it hit 100, about November. Maybe in 1976 it was 90 a year but very high per capita.

The numbers that the Northern Irish problem would have had to have killed in the 30 years of the troubles would therefore have to have been about 12-15 thousand proportionately. The rate in Oakland is 3-4 times higher than northern Ireland at it's height and it is far from the most violent American city.

There have been a number of instances where personnel who are not members of the local constabulary have been present at incidents with their own firearms, be it the University of Texas or the New Life Church.

I am at a loss to think of any wherein this has resulted in an increased death toll (or even just resulted in the responding police shooting the wrong person), but perhaps you can link me to some to support your proposition.

If we can find a shooting in darkened room where everybody was as armed as the perpetrator maybe we would have the stats.

Anyway, do you think this guys easy access to arms made his killing spree more, or less possible. Would he have been as effective with a knife and some pepper spray?

Also, it's probably worth remembering that what was happening in Northern Ireland was a civil war. Even if the casualties in Northern Ireland were higher, those are casualties inflicted in a time of conflict. Needless deaths, yes, most deaths are, but it was a different world and environment in which those deaths occurred. This is peace-time in the US, they are not engaged in civil war. It's a gun-control problem (which neither Obama nor Romney have addressed in their statements about the incident). I agree with not tarring everyone with the same brush - people here are horrified by this - but something is wrong. I don't know how they could go about fixing things here with regards to guns, the problem is so far gone, but something needs to be done about it. No one wants to rub anyone the wrong way though, not coming up to election time.

• Advertisement

Also, it's probably worth remembering that what was happening in Northern Ireland was a civil war. Even if the casualties in Northern Ireland were higher, those are casualties inflicted in a time of conflict. Needless deaths, yes, most deaths are, but it was a different world and environment in which those deaths occurred. This is peace-time in the US, they are not engaged in civil war. It's a gun-control problem (which neither Obama nor Romney have addressed in their statements about the incident). I agree with not tarring everyone with the same brush - people here are horrified by this - but something is wrong. I don't know how they could go about fixing things here with regards to guns, the problem is so far gone, but something needs to be done about it. No one wants to rub anyone the wrong way though, not coming up to election time.

But is no more a American problem any more than terrorism is an Irish problem. Rampage killings happen everywhere, and the US is not top of that list in terms of numbers.

The way some people carry on you would think this happens every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Eh, you did say Oakland was more dangerous than Norther Ireland during the troubles, so only the years of the troubles in both "states" should matter.
    Anyway, do you think this guys easy access to arms made his killing spree more, or less possible. Would he have been as effective with a knife and some pepper spray?

The Osaka school massacre?

How about petrol and a match? Or a homemade flame thrower? (even if he blew himself up it wouldn't have been good). Or petrol bombs?

But is no more a American problem any more than terrorism is an Irish problem. Rampage killings happen everywhere, and the US is not top of that list in terms of numbers.

The way some people carry on you would think this happens every week.

Sure, it doesn't happen as frequently as people may think, but it's still a problem. And anyone who thinks that there isn't a problem in the US with guns is just burying their heads in the sand.

Tym wrote: »
    Eh, you did say Oakland was more dangerous than Norther Ireland during the troubles, so only the years of the troubles in both "states" should matter.

The Osaka school massacre?

How about petrol and a match? Or a homemade flame thrower? (even if he blew himself up it wouldn't have been good). Or petrol bombs?

Biggest school massacre ever in the US was in 1927 and he used a car bomb, 44 dead and 58 injured. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre

Sure, it doesn't happen as frequently as people may think, but it's still a problem. And anyone who thinks that there isn't a problem in the US with guns is just burying their heads in the sand.

Describe what you think is the problem with legally held firearms? How does that compare to say, Switzerland?

• Advertisement

If we can find a shooting in darkened room where everybody was as armed as the perpetrator maybe we would have the stats.

It is unlikely that we will ever see practicable legislation which includes ambient light levels, noise levels, or percentages of armed personnel as criteria. Any suggestions as to the practicality of legalising one thing or prohibiting another need to look at the larger issue.

Oh, easily more possible. Do you think someone's access to alcohol made driving drunk and killing someone more or less possible?

The problem with saying that 'if he didn't have access to a gun, he couldn't have a killing spree' is the counter-effect on how many cases of defensive gun uses could not have taken place because the citizens did not have a firearm to defend themselves with. How many thousands of people are killed in mass kilings with firearms, vs how many thousands of people use a firearm legitimately when in fear of their safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

More than one, yes.

Hungerford, UK
    Dunblane, UK
    Cumbria, UK
    Kauhajoki, Finland.
    Tuusula, Finland.
    Emsdetten, Germany,
    Erfurt, Germany

Fair enough, but Hungerford was in the 80s, Dunblane in the 90s, Cumbria was in the 2010s. Even if there was 5 in the last decade; the US averages 20 mass shootings a year. Link: http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/major-shootings.pdf

Tym wrote: »

FFS, unless you can prove that Oakland's per capita murder rate has declined since the seventies or eighties then my point not only stands, but is amplified.

And obviously if we move out of the years of the troubles for Northern Ireland the ratios massively diverge, from 3-1 to 10/20-1.

I will go and find Oakland's murder rate in the seventies, because I tend to link to stuff, as I did for the 2011 figures.

We will then work out the rate and compare to Northern Ireland, be very surprised if Oakland is not higher.

The main point about 2011, is that per capita in 2011, Oakland has more killings than Northern Ireland during the average years of the troubles. Thats hardly changed since the seventies.

Fair enough, but Hungerford was in the 80s, Dunblane in the 90s, Cumbria was in the 2010s. Even if there was 5 in the last decade; the US averages 20 mass shootings a year. Link: http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...-shootings.pdf

You asked for just one, I gave you plenty. Here are other spree killings outside the US. Stop with the myth that this is an American problem, it happens all over the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer#List_of_spree_killers

btw - the Brady campaign is hardly an independent source, you might also want to balance that with the numbers of crimes prevented by gun carrying citizens.

You asked for just one, I gave you plenty. Here are other spree killings outside the US. Stop with the myth that this is an American problem, it happens all over the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer#List_of_spree_killers

You gave a few stretching as far back as the 80's. Happens everywhere, but seemingly a lot more in America. But sure it's all just a conspiracy to get people's guns. Is the Brady campaign factually incorrect? FFS if everyone is carrying guns then obviously there's going to be more crimes carried out!

token101 wrote: »
    You gave a few stretching as far back as the 80's. Happens everywhere, but seemingly a lot more in America. But sure it's all just a conspiracy to get people's guns. Is the Brady campaign factually incorrect? FFS if everyone is carrying guns then obviously there's going to be more crimes carried out!

There are 300 million people in the US, of course it happens more than other countries!

Switzerland the highest rate of gun ownership in Europe. Crime rates are not higher. Try thinking about it.

Switzerland the highest rate of gun ownership in Europe. Crime rates are not higher. Try thinking about it.

Edit: Just more than half of what the US has. Try thinking about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

There are 300 million people in the US, of course it happens more than other countries!

Actually Serbia does.
    How many thousands of people are killed in mass kilings with firearms, vs how many thousands of people use a firearm legitimately when in fear of their safety?
    Very few, and even fewer. Seriously, if you want to protect yourself, get a dog. Or a good lock on the door.

Edit: Just more than half of what the US has. Try thinking about that.

So spree killings happen more in the US??

The top 10 of recent spree killings. Just two in the US.

2011 Norway attacks Norway 2011 Anders Behring Breivik 77
    Uiryeong massacre South Korea 1982 Woo Bum-kon 57
    Port Arthur massacre Australia 1996 Martin Bryant 35
    Virginia Tech massacre United States 2007 Seung-Hui Cho 32
    Pozzetto Massacre Colombia 1986 Campo Elías Delgado 30
    Tsuyama massacre Japan 1938 Mutsuo Toi 30
    Cave of the Patriarchs massacre Hebron,West Bank 1994 Baruch Goldstein 29
     Killeen Texas Shootings United States 1991 George Hennard 23
    Tian Mingjian incident China 1994 Tian Mingjian 23
    Dunblane massacre United Kingdom 1996 Thomas Hamilton 17

goose2005 wrote: »
    Very few, and even fewer. Seriously, if you want to protect yourself, get a dog. Or a good lock on the door.

And when the door is busted open and the dog poisoned should I be allowed to defend my wife or not?

• Advertisement

The US is still the most prominent name on that list! Just click on the year tab and go through the number of US shootings in the last decade.
    And when the door is busted open and the dog poisoned should I be allowed to defend my wife or not?

Are you being chased by the Russian Mafia? If not, there's no words for that sentiment really other than :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The only country to appear twice in the list. Not a great example for your argument.

Are you being chased by the Russian Mafia? If not, there's no words for that sentiment really other than :pac:

Wasn't there a case in the US last year where a single mother had her dog poisoned and her house broken into and then protected herself by shooting the people breaking into her house?

Wasn't there a case in the US last year where a single mother had her dog poisoned and her house broken into and then protected herself by shooting the people breaking into her house?

And how many cases have there been where people have been killed by their own guns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't know much about mass killings statistics but why in the name of God are people comparing the North to US stats? ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

And how many cases have there been where people have been killed by their own guns?

Dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

For the life of me I have no clue as to why this thread is 50 pages long :confused:

It was some random nutjob. So why go on about gun laws this, mass killings that. It was just some random nutjob.

No different if someone walked into st stephens green park tomorrow and started killing people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082716/Sarah-McKinley-Teen-mom-shoots-dead-intruder-Justin-Shane-Martin-looking-prescription-drugs.html

goose2005 wrote: »

Correct on the number of mass killings, but incorrect on the latter. The most conservative estimate is over 100,000. The most generous estimate is 2.5 million.

See this Dept of Justice report, which goes over the large discrepancy between the two and splits the difference. It concludes aproximately 1.5 million defensive gun uses per year.
    https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

The data is now 15 years old, but there are more guns on US streets now, not less.

The mathematics behind assessing defensive gun uses is long and there are a number of websites which attempt to sort out the differences, but the bottom line is a lot of Americans legally use their firearms for defence.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't know much about mass killings statistics but why in the name of God are people comparing the North to US stats? ;)

290 odd people killed in the top US spree killings of the last 30 years compared to over 2000 dead in the sectarian campaigns. But the US is a "sick society"

A very small number.
    # of unjustified gun deaths, provided by the Violence Policy Center, for 2011:
    Total: 54

Out of those 54 gun deaths, there were:
    Gun accidents, suicides, negligent discharges, etc: 17
    Murders, involved in illegal activities, drive-by-shootings, etc: 31
    Actual unjustified shootings: 2 (of with all 2 cases are still pending)
    One incident where the CCW-Licensees shooting was ruled justified, but the attacker shot back, killing the CCW-Licensee - which somehow is counted as unjustified shooting by the VPC
    token101 wrote:
    Are you being chased by the Russian Mafia? If not, there's no words for that sentiment really other than

That pretty much seals the deal that you know FA about the US. Best stick to Canada, eh?

Advertisement