Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Model United Nations Society Project

Options
  • 20-07-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

So I would like to introduce an idea that has been successful in different universities around the world but has yet to reach UCD although it is a major campus in Ireland. Recently, some French and Canadian students told me about the “Model United Nations” that takes place every year in their respective universities.

The “Model United Nations” is a three-day simulation which emulates the decision-making process at the United Nations. Students will sort of “role-play” diplomats and will have to research about the country they represent and the issue that is raised. Many bodies of the United Nations are represented such as the General Assembly or the Security Council, as well as many International Governmental Organizations (European Union, African Union …).

The simulation gives an insight into the internal mechanism of the United Nations and the way they deal with current issues, diplomacy and international relations. Hence, students will have to discuss the issue in question, debate, negotiate, deliberate and come up with a solution to the issue at stake.

I do believe that such an activity will be able to reunite students from different branches (Law, Arts, Medicine, Business ..). The inter-disciplinary side of this activity will provide an opportunity to meet people studying different subjects and to get involved in an academics-related activity together. Indeed, I do think that many people in UCD are interested in global issues, politics, foreign affairs, international relations, health, human rights … and thence, I think that setting up such activity would be very advantageous.

Therefore, as I am fully aware that it requires a lot of work, I am looking for serious and dedicated people who would be interested in the creation of such project (society). Of course, the project would not start off really big but I think that if many universities can do it, UCD can do it too especially as it is academics-related.

If anyone would like to get involved (in a serious manner), please let me know through MP.

Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I saw this and knew a lot of people involved in this at KU Leuven this year. It's a great project and think it would be excellent for UCD students and the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jlcummins18

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

So I would like to introduce an idea that has been successful in different universities around the world but has yet to reach UCD although it is a major campus in Ireland. Recently, some French and Canadian students told me about the “Model United Nations” that takes place every year in their respective universities.

The “Model United Nations” is a three-day simulation which emulates the decision-making process at the United Nations. Students will sort of “role-play” diplomats and will have to research about the country they represent and the issue that is raised. Many bodies of the United Nations are represented such as the General Assembly or the Security Council, as well as many International Governmental Organizations (European Union, African Union …).

The simulation gives an insight into the internal mechanism of the United Nations and the way they deal with current issues, diplomacy and international relations. Hence, students will have to discuss the issue in question, debate, negotiate, deliberate and come up with a solution to the issue at stake.

I do believe that such an activity will be able to reunite students from different branches (Law, Arts, Medicine, Business ..). The inter-disciplinary side of this activity will provide an opportunity to meet people studying different subjects and to get involved in an academics-related activity together. Indeed, I do think that many people in UCD are interested in global issues, politics, foreign affairs, international relations, health, human rights … and thence, I think that setting up such activity would be very advantageous.

Therefore, as I am fully aware that it requires a lot of work, I am looking for serious and dedicated people who would be interested in the creation of such project (society). Of course, the project would not start off really big but I think that if many universities can do it, UCD can do it too especially as it is academics-related.

If anyone would like to get involved (in a serious manner), please let me know through MP.

Thank you,

I'm an international first year student coming over from the states in september, my focus in secondary school was on global politics and government, despite the fact that my intended course of study is economics, my true interests lie in global politics and I would be extremely interested in assisting in such a program. Many of my friends have participated in a similar program to this, and several of my closest friends have parents who are active members in the UN (due to the close proximity of the UN building to the town in which I lived in New York) and I could easily access primary information and first hand accounts from their parents if you'd like?

I took an intensive study course in senior year called Advanced Placement Comparative Politics and Government, which was centered around the comparison of systems of government and political climates in China, the USA, the UK, The Russian Federation, Iran, Nigeria, and Mexico. I got a 5 on the National Exam which is the highest possible mark and indicates "extremely well qualified" level of understanding and comprehension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement_Comparative_Government_and_Politics

Hope we can get this program started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

As a slight note, and you may want to think of about doing this; it is not long established in Belgium, so for the first year KU Leuven held it, they sent invitations to all universities in Belgium. Perhaps if you get running, you should send invitations to different departments/universities to make sure you have enough numbers to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

@Dyl10 : Yes, definitely. My main idea was to first of all get Committee members from several departments within UCD (Law, Arts ..) and then broaden the program by sending out invitations to several universities in Dublin/Ireland. It is definitely something interesting to consider ! I really do believe that extending this program and partnering with other universities is important for both UCD and the activity's status in Ireland.

Besides, this activity would take place every year, that's the reason I think it has potential to succeed. And it is a great opportunity to get support from lecturers and external partners.

Thank you very much for your idea.

Jlcummins18 : Thank you very much for all your information. They are very interesting.

I would love to get some more information if you don't mind. Hence, if you can reach your friend's parents to get some that would be very helpful and generous.

It would be great if you could get involved because I really like for this program to be open to all motivated students whether they are in First year or at Master's level.

I will send you both an private message in which I will expose my perspectives in more precise details.

In the meantime, if someone else is interested in the project, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Wasn't this a Simpsons episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 orrfiona

Hi

Its great to find this thread - I've been considering setting up an MUN team in UCD for the past year or so. I think we should try and do it. I was on erasmus last year and took part in 2 MUN conferences (in Berlin and Maastricht) and it is something that should definitely be in UCD. I never did it in school, but I've talked to a few people about setting a committee up in UCD and there is interest out there....
    Lets do it!

Would anybody be on for meeting up and talking about it? It is something that should be on offer to students.

Hope I'm not too late with you all!

Fion

• Registered Users Posts: 6 orrfiona

Did you ever meet up??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Over_It

Hi ! I'm the Original Poster here :)

We haven't met up due to college starting and assignments. I already have a " project presentation " drafted, in order to present it to the officer in charge of societies.

However, as no one has met up yet, the project has been delayed.

For those who are interested, I can send you the project presentation I drafted and you can contact me through PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 POZ

Hi all.

I'm hoping to join UCD in September and was researching to find out if you guys had MUN in this college. I've taken part in it for two years now and have loved every minute of it. Delighted I won't have to say goodbye to it when I leave secondary school! Please keep updating this page as I would love to be involved once I join UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

What happened with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'd say it suffered at the hands of the memorandum, it wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last attempt to get MUN going, but it just doesn't ever catch on in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭HistoryKitty

I did the module politics of great nations last year and as part of it we did a model UN. The lecturer is currently trying to set the society up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Xuat Nguyen

Hi there,

We (Diem Le and Xuat Nguyen) have formed a MUN club at Society, and we're recruiting member.

Here is our facebook page. If you are interested in, please feel free to contact us.

https://www.facebook.com/ucdmun

Thanks.

Advertisement