Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using discount codes to drive traffic to a website

Options
  • 20-07-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I've been asked to do a website for a local retail chain that has 6 stores. Basically they want a group website so they can display local offers, news, etc...

They are looking for ways to drive traffic to the website and need more than latest news, etc.. to do this. They suggested that the website would have offers with unique discount codes that people who only visit the website can access. So Joe Bloggs can get a 20% discount code only if he visits the website. Also, Joe can only use this code once and will not be able to share it with others as once the code is used then it is redundant.

Does anyone have any thoughts as how something like this could be implemented? Do you know of any other websites that have a similar feature in place with discount/voucher codes?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

You could try Clipper from Appthemes.com

http://www.appthemes.com/themes/clipper/

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭omega42

The Unique code may be a problem as each store would need to be able to access a single database to determine if the code has been used before, otherwise whats to stop joe blogs going to store A getting his discount then going to store B and doing the same again.

If the site is going to b e-com then this wont be a problem as the database could be attached to the site.

The Bigger question is why wouldn't the company want as many people using the code as possible, surly a sale is a sale besides if I get a code from the site, use it then give it to say my Brother who also uses it, there is more chance that my brother will go to the site himself if he is looking for further codes the next time he needs them.

A news letter may be a better Idea to get customers interested, you can get the staff to collect email address's from customers and offer random discounts through the news letter.

If you want to drive local traffic to the site I've had good results to off-line marketing an online comp. IE have a customer comp advertised instore whereby the customer has to enter online on the site.

Just my 1.245332 cents worth (used to be 2 cents but Times are hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Thanks for your replies there. Some good points made especially in relation to promoting the online competitions in store. I'm really not sure why they don't want the codes to be shared. I'm meeting them again this week to clarify it a bit more. Thanks again.

Advertisement