Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BIG words..

• 20-07-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Doing a TV interview years ago the host called me "the narcisstic one in the band", live on air. I just smiled, grunted and moved the conversation on.:o No, I just had long hair and hardly washed but he was a p*ick of a dj.

Anyway have any AHers any instance of interviews/situations where someone throws in a BIG word and you have not got a monkeys what the f*ck it means but too embarrassed to ask?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thinly veiled "I'm in a band, have appeared on live TV, and have my own hair' brag.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

narcissistic is a common enough word

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The hardest thing I've ever been asked is "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Go away, Bono.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

antidisestablishmentarianism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You think narcisstic is a big word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The hardest thing I've ever been asked is "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"

*Don't say doing your wife, don't say doing your wife, don't say doing your wife*

"Doing your.... son?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Or describe yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

had an interview recently
    he ask me a question but used so many big words i thought he was just telling me something so i nodded yes
    never did find out what he was ****ting about ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Thinly veiled "I'm in a band, have appeared on live TV, and have my own hair' brag.

He's definitely the the narcisstic one in the band, so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yeah - what a narcisst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

nar·cis·sism/ˈnärsəˌsizəm/
    Noun:
    Excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    Extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration.

I've been called a lot of things (and in the light of recent events...warranted...:( ) but never a narcissist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The longest word I ever heard was 'smiles' cos there was a mile between the first letter and the last......

Is that a tumbleweed I hear :o

I'll get my coat.....please don't ban me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

When people have arguments on these boards they tend to use bigger and more complex words in an attempt to intimidate their foe.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! HE'S USING BIG WORDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

smash wrote: »
    You think narcisstic is a big word?

No, but narcissistic is. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have a 'word app' on my phone which allows me to determine the meaning of words by typing them in. Several definitions are proposed by the app and I select which one is correct based on context.

There are "word app's" available on some websites too, and you can buy them in manual, paper based lookup table format from reputable publishers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bad Panda wrote: »
    No, but narcissistic is. :P

Not as big as narcissistically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kneemos wrote: »
    Or describe yourself.

I tend to leave that'un for the witnesses...
    When people have arguments on these boards they tend to use bigger and more complex words in an attempt to intimidate their foe.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! HE'S USING BIG WORDS.

haha, yeah that does be hilarious at times alright. I see that and think to myself, "They've got one of them word of the day bog rolls don't they!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

antidisestablishmentarianism

Antediluvian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

chin_grin wrote: »
    I've been called a lot of things (and in the light of recent events...warranted...:( ) but never a narcissist.
    You're a narcissist!
    Everyday I try to make someones dream come true.

Narcissism is great and not a bad thing at all and I love me when I'm at my narcissistic best. I might start a Pride type march for Narcissists. I'll call it the "I'm lovely Parade".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are you being facetious OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

French oral for A-level (leaving cert). I came out with a blow-away presentation about the making of champagne and had phrases prepared for the roleplay. At the end of everything the examiner revealed that he is from the champagne region and had enjoyed my presentation and then used some huge technical term that I didn't know. I just smiled and nodded.
    Thankfully I got away with it. I had the highest score that year thanks to that smile and nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Krispie wrote: »
    Doing a TV interview years ago the host called me "the narcisstic one in the band", live on air. I just smiled, grunted and moved the conversation on.:o No, I just had long hair and hardly washed but he was a p*ick of a dj.

Anyway have any AHers any instance of interviews/situations where someone throws in a BIG word and you have not got a monkeys what the f*ck it means but too embarrassed to ask?

I think you're being disingenuous, OP-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

If the word narcissistic confused you, perhaps you should consider reading books instead of eating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're not that cunt from The Wonderstuff are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

stovelid wrote: »
    You're not that cunt from The Wonderstuff are you?
    If I could thank that twice, I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If I could thank that twice, I would.

I always thought it would be a great Viz strip:

Miles Hunt: he's a bit of a cunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

Yeah, i absolutely hate sesquipedalianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Would anyone like to join me in the floccinaucinihilipilification of this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A Pop singer/actor was holding a small group of people in awesome mode at a party in L.A and after 25 or so minutes he finally stopped talking and said. " well that's enough from me now so can one of you speak for a while an' maybe you'll tell everybody about what you thought of my last album " .

Advertisement