Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Vanity Search"

Options
  • 20-07-2012 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Where's it gone?

With the advanced search on the new skin, it appears that you can no longer search for posters who have quoted you.

It was a very handy function that seems to have gone A.W.O.L.

I've asked about this on the Sys forum and it's been asked in other threads in Feedback, but so far, no answer as far as I can find anyhow.

Ta!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

carly-simon-1.jpg

4315076853_9919592fb9_z.jpg?zz=1

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You could search for posters who quoted you?

Learn something new every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you searched for your own user name in the "exact phrase" field, it would return posts that quoted your user name.

Was handy if you didn't (don't) subscribe to threads and you'd forgotten who you were drunkenly slinging mud against the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

stovelid wrote: »
    Was handy if you didn't (don't) subscribe to threads and you'd forgotten who you were drunkenly slinging mud against the night before.

Sometimes it's better not to know :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You're the second Mod who's said that to me.. do they not tell ye anything?!

• Advertisement

I know there was a specific URL that you can enter that brings up these things, but I can't remember it now. Is that what you're referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I know there was a specific URL that you can enter that brings up these things, but I can't remember it now. Is that what you're referring to?

That doesn't work any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I used to search my username every couple of days but nothing ever came up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Vanity searches are back and better than ever (in theory)

If you go to your user profile page, click on "Statistics" and you'll see a new link for "Find posts that quote {username}", this will link you a search result with all posts that quote you.

This should be much quicker than doing a full text search for quote username={username} as the work of parsing out usernames from quotes is now done when indexing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Is that only on the new skin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

If you go to your user profile page, click on "Statistics" and you'll see a new link for "Find posts that quote {username}", this will link you a search result with all posts that quote you.

Excellent, hadn't noticed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Sharrow wrote: »
    Is that only on the new skin?

It appears so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Looks like they weren't lying when they said there'd be no new features added to the old skins

It's on all skins now.

I suppose I can't really justify calling a link a feature ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Any plans on adding this to boards touch?
    I find I'm using the touch site more and more lately and I'd imagine a lot of users are doing the same?
    It'd be nice to have some more features crossover to the touch site.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Any plans on adding this to boards touch?
    I find I'm using the touch site more and more lately and I'd imagine a lot of users are doing the same?
    It'd be nice to have some more features crossover to the touch site.

Possibly. Touch is supposed to be a stripped back version of the site though so we have to consider very carefully what features we add so we don't clutter up the UI too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bookmarked :)

Advertisement