Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RuaRed Open Call - closes next Friday

• 20-07-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hey guys :) Just to let all know RuaRed in Tallaght have an open call for their winter show at the moment. It's a beautiful, world class gallery, the curators are from Temple Bar Gallery, RuaRed and IMMA (!!), and it's only a tenner to submit, so it's a bit of a no brainer. http://ruared.ie/openshow_2012.html

Good luck!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Would they hang one piece, or realistically would you need to submit the three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

mehfesto wrote: »
    Would they hang one piece, or realistically would you need to submit the three?

I've only submitted one. I guess it depends if it works as a stand alone?

They've also just announced that one artist chosen will be given a solo exhibition in gallery 2.. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Hmm, a tenner for each submitted piece that might not then be accepted. Very good for them, not so good for poor artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On the other hand, way lower cost than other open calls with a panel of some repute/distinction. As far as these things go, it appears quite reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭waldo

Is this open to photographers. It looks more like it is for art?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

waldo wrote: »

When I looked at it i'm nearly sure it specifically refers to photographers (also includes other artists).

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    waldo wrote: »

When I looked at it i'm nearly sure it specifically refers to photographers (also includes other artists).

It's everything. I'm actually submitting a video installation yokey. And a tenner a piece is very little tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

its seems a little limiting for the photographic side of things, 3 images to represent a body of work is not enough and certainly does not allow for a story to be told. also 30 euro to submit 3 images :eek: i don't think i could edit my work down to 3 images and still represent the story im trying to tell, ah well :/

(if im wrong on some details then i take it all back but it looks this way to me :D )

its seems a little limiting for the photographic side of things, 3 images to represent a body of work is not enough and certainly does not allow for a story to be told. also 30 euro to submit 3 images :eek: i don't think i could edit my work down to 3 images and still represent the story im trying to tell, ah well :/

(if im wrong on some details then i take it all back but it looks this way to me :D )

It's an open show. In order to facilitate everyone, they just can't have more than 3 submissions i guess? I'm seeing it as a chance to present my work to very serious, very *very* influential curators. It's kind of a 'one does not simply walk into Mordor' thing - you normally can't just go "hey, this is my work, have a look" to the collections curator at IMMA. Or RuaRed. Or TBGS. It's strictly invite only at any other time. And I know it's difficult to represent yourself in three images. I usually have the same problem (hey, last photogaphic show i had was 208 images! And wouldn't have worked if even one had been taken out..), but it's a necessary evil in gallery work sometimes, and sometimes you have a piece that fits. Look at all the stuff in the RHA show for example - lots of things from series that still work as a single image. Or at least the panel believed them to. And it costs a hell of a lot more, not least because you present completed work for review and not jpegs.. you submit three images, but you also have an artists statement. You should be able to at least give an impression of a body of work with that.

€30 is seriously nothing for a chance of showing in RuaRed, and a chance of a solo show there. I doubt my thing will be accepted - it's HUGE, and not particularly commercial (I can't see many buyers wanting a 2 meter by 2 meter by 1.2 meter free-standing black monolith in their living room), and if it *is* accepted it's gonna cost me hundreds and hundreds and hundreds to produce it. A tenner to get it in front of the panel and say this is me and this is my work and here i am is, for me, a chance not to be missed though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

sineadw wrote: »
    It's an open show. In order to facilitate everyone, they just can't have more than 3 submissions i guess? I'm seeing it as a chance to present my work to very serious, very *very* influential curators. It's kind of a 'one does not simply walk into Mordor' thing - you normally can't just go "hey, this is my work, have a look" to the collections curator at IMMA. Or RuaRed. Or TBGS. It's strictly invite only at any other time. And I know it's difficult to represent yourself in three images. I usually have the same problem (hey, last photogaphic show i had was 208 images! And wouldn't have worked if even one had been taken out..), but it's a necessary evil in gallery work sometimes, and sometimes you have a piece that fits. Look at all the stuff in the RHA show for example - lots of things from series that still work as a single image. Or at least the panel believed them to. And it costs a hell of a lot more, not least because you present completed work for review and not jpegs.. you submit three images, but you also have an artists statement. You should be able to at least give an impression of a body of work with that.

€30 is seriously nothing for a chance of showing in RuaRed, and a chance of a solo show there. I doubt my thing will be accepted - it's HUGE, and not particularly commercial (I can't see many buyers wanting a 2 meter by 2 meter by 1.2 meter free-standing black monolith in their living room), and if it *is* accepted it's gonna cost me hundreds and hundreds and hundreds to produce it. A tenner to get it in front of the panel and say this is me and this is my work and here i am is, for me, a chance not to be missed though :)

well... you have me convinced.!! time to put all that time editing in college to use and get it down to three strong images with my statement :)

best of luck, i like the sound of the monolith :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement