Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise Last night @ 12.45am

Options
  • 20-07-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear the really loud scraping type noise last night around 12.45am 20th July? Im in Douglas but it sounded like it was coming from the city. Went on for about 15 minutes.

At first thought it sounded like gunfire (mad imagination) but it kept going regularly.

Strange one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 UKLad

I did was very strange, i live in rochestown and it was coming and going every so ofter into the early hours. cant really describe the sound

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep. Heard odd scraping sounds around midnight in rochestown. There would be six or seven of them then stop and start again a few minutes later. Wondered around the house wondering what the hell it was until I went outside and realised it was from there. Annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Roadworks maybe? Didn't hear it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

There's a massive earth drill on the sarsfield rd round about, lads could of been working on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

There are roadworks on the south link as well,they were working last night at 11 so maybe were there late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Shouldnt be making that bloody much noise at 12.45am! I was just dropping off when it started! Well annoyed I was :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

There's a massive earth drill on the sarsfield rd round about, lads could of been working on it?

Doubt it. I live right next to the roundabout and heard nothing all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

fionny wrote: »
    Shouldnt be making that bloody much noise at 12.45am! I was just dropping off when it started! Well annoyed I was :P

They either do it at night, or during the day and block up the entire city with it.

I prefer when they do it overnight with at little hassle as possible tbh.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    They either do it at night, or during the day and block up the entire city with it.

I prefer when they do it overnight with at little hassle as possible tbh.

This wasnt normal road works noise, it sounded like and SMG being fired in bursts!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

This is probobly what it was; it happened in cork a few weeks ago again and it's currently happening all over the world. something to do with the magnetic poles shifting and creating some sort of elctromagnetic friction.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQwyV7wHzM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

This is probobly what it was; it happened in cork a few weeks ago again and it's currently happening all over the world. something to do with the magnetic poles shifting and creating some sort of elctromagnetic friction.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQwyV7wHzM

Found this vid, filmed in Cork, on Youtube. Similar sound as in that link.

That sound in the second video is it. What the hell is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

They were talking about this on Newstalk's Moncreiff show today. Similar sound in Waterford recently turned out to be a low flying hot air balloon, it was the gas burner(or whatever it's called) making the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 UKLad

That is it for sure!!! V.strange it was almost if it was jumping all over my neighberhood

Who the hell flys a hot air balloon at midnight. Although it does indeed sound like one. Gotta be something else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Its back for last ten mins

Where abouts are you in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Where abouts are you in the city?

Near Douglas

Near Douglas

I'm out near Wilton and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. What does it sound like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In Glasheen and can hear something that sounds like a jet engine idling from the direction of the airport, it's steady though and been like that for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They are digging a large trench up the South Link at the moment to accommodate a major ESB transmission line that connects into the Marina Power Station and various substations that feed the city centre.

There are possibly pretty serious excavation works going on over night. That project's under fairly big pressure to be complete a.s.a.p. as they need to get the South Link open again very soon as keeping it closed will cause traffic chaos.

There's also a whole load of treatments going on at Brian Boru bridge. That could be quite noisy too. Again, that project's probably running 24/7 as the bridge being out of service is causing major traffic issues.

The only other things in the city that could make noise that loud would be a ship in the harbour or the ESB station at Marina Point if there's some kind of major issue / maintenance going on, which would quite likely occur over night when loads are very low.

I did hear something alright around 2 last night that sounded like a small propeller plane fying around, but coming from the east of the airport. Kind of came and went over a 20 minute period. Would start up, stay at a constant hum/drone for a few minutes and then quickly fade. Strange.

That second video was definitely the noise i heard too,

Advertisement