Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (aka the brain tingles)

Options
  • 20-07-2012 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious if anyone else has ever experienced this? It's been happening to me since I was a child, and is triggered involunarily by the sound of whispering or someone talking in a soft, pleasant voice. More recently I've triggered it by watching nail polish tutorials on youtube :) It's almost like a trance state of deep relaxation. Not the most useful when it happens in the middle of a lecture due to the tutor's voice!
    Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Most ASMR episodes begin by an external or internal trigger, and are so divided for classification. Type A episodes are elicited by the experiencer using no external stimuli, and are typically achieved by specific thought patterns unique to the individual. Type B episodes are triggered involuntarily by an external trigger, via one or more senses, and may also involve specific thought patterns associated with the triggering event. Both types of triggers vary between individuals, but many are common to a large portion of ASMR enjoyers.

Common external triggers:

Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns

Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures

Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event

Enjoying a piece of art or music

Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.

Close, personal attention from another person

Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Yup! It's great! :D
    It's pretty unpredictable for me though. Could be sitting around or walking or any number of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

yeah.....music ..or justsome thoughts do it i love it!!
    If i get emotional it happens.
    OH and nice scents

But certain whispering vids on youtube are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

not sure, do you mean the shivers that you get when listening to a piece of music that emotionally hits something deep, because i regularly get a wave of tingling from the head down when I'm immersed in a tune or getting something meaningful from lyrics.... but I thought everyone experienced these, like the goosebumps or the "someone walking on my grave" shivers down the back. they sound nice though! :)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

jkforde wrote: »
    not sure, do you mean the shivers that you get when listening to a piece of music that emotionally hits something deep, because i regularly get a wave of tingling from the head down when I'm immersed in a tune or getting something meaningful from lyrics.... but I thought everyone experienced these, like the goosebumps or the "someone walking on my grave" shivers down the back. they sound nice though! :)

It's kinda hard to explain. It's not like goosebumps or 'the shivers' exactly, more of a trance-like state of bliss, with accompanying tingles all around the brain and down the arms (for me). If humans could purr, I think this would be pretty close :) I'd imagine that a similar state that could be achived by meditation, the difference being that in my case, it's triggered involuntarily and almost instantly! It's not always a good thing either, if I'm listening to talk radio while driving, it can trigger it and I have to turn it off in case it affects my driving :o

Here's a good article from Saturday's Independent:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/maria-spends-20-minutes-folding-towels-why-millions-are-mesmerised-by-asmr-videos-7956866.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Dolbert wrote: »
    If humans could purr, I think this would be pretty close :)

That's exactly it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hm, not fair, I want some of that! I cannot think of anything that has had remotely that effect on me. What would be really good would be if someone did some investigating on behalf of those of us who are missing out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lostpas5235

I like the purr analogy.
    Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.

This is my main trigger.

I also have a few instructional videos on youtube that I go to just to get my fix. In one of those cases I feel its a combination of the tone of voice and watching them do their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Chills me out too, 3D binaural ones viewed at 480p/720p are the best. The soundsculptures Youtube channel is one of the better ones. It's mad how watching someone point at a map can induce relaxation if it's done right :)

I wonder why our brains create these chemicals in these situations

Advertisement