Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not letting him grow up !

Options
  • 20-07-2012 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I've a wonderful two year old (except when he cries) and made the mistake of reading the Teens forum today.

What I read scares me to death....15 year old girls wanting to move in with boyfriends, chocking and burning game......I'm not letting him grow up :eek::eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I know the feeling.. I have a lovely little 19 month old Son and the thought of sending him out into the big bad world frightens the life out of me :o

I think all we can do as Parents is just make sure we give them the tools that they need to make good decisions for themselves in life.. Lead by example and try not to stifle them in the process..

Also take comfort in knowing that you're not alone and use the likes of Boards and other sites for advice, they really are a great source of information and support which our own Parents didn't have the luxury of when we were growing up :D

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Do I even want to know what the burning game is???

I'm locking A up until she's 40 so shouldn't be a problem for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's not much difference between the behaviour of toddlers and teenagers but with toddlers you've got more control in that at least you know where they are.

I've 2 teenagers, the older lad will be 17 in a few weeks and the younger lad will be 15 in the autumn.

The teenage years haven't been too bad so far but with a few more years to go who knows what's ahead. I think the biggest influence on them is their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Hey OP-I was just like you when mine were little.
    When I brought my first home from the maternity hospital,I cried at the thought of having to organise schools etc....even though she was only 5 days old!!!!

Now she is 17-and yes,it can be scary.
    But you've got to enjoy each stage as it happens,it really does go by so quickly.

Now-I must dash,I have to stop her *dying her hair again!

* that was a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You set the ground work for who they are and what your relationship is and what amount of manners and respect they have as a teenager now.

It can be hard when they are little and you have to put down boundaries and say NO and mean it but, do it right when they are small and when you can pick them up and put them in their rooms, then they will know you mean NO when they are teens and when you tell them to go to their rooms.

Work on good communication, try not to be too frazzled when they come to you with questions when they are curious about things, if you can answer then and then, get them to ask you later or you or they make a note and answer it later.
    That way they should come to you rather then trying stupid things.

Invest in them, with time and hugs, growing their confidence and your relationship with each other, when they are small and you will reap it when they are teens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Great advice all round :D

I'm out working all day and studying at night so project deadlines don't always mix with a 2 year old but I get to see him for a while each day at least.

Have to say that i wouldn't change being a parent in a million years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

My teenage brother lives with me and so I have access to his facebook account. All the trollops on his page make me want to throw up, as well as the boys! I wasn't like that and I hope my two angels wont be like that either. It's scary, but I'm very open with them and keeping my word so they will remember mommy's not playing around or daddy! Laying our groundwork too!

Advertisement