Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel P-660HN-T1A_IPv6 help?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Currently I'm on the 8MB package (or at least according to the landlord) and recently I've been getting sub 2MB speeds, and after a router reset, it often caps out at the 360-370kB/s mark whilst downloading. It's rare but on some days it does reach full potential, pushing 800kB/s and slightly more, but that only lasts for a few hours (like now for example :D ). Whenever speed drops, I notice that resetting the router seems to does the trick for the mean time. What's the problem there?

I heard a firmware upgrade might fix it, but obtaining one from the Zyxel website itself only results in an upload error, the file not being accepted by the router.

In the same breath, is there a way to configure the router in such a way that the speed is split evenly amongst users? Whenever my mom starts watching videos online, it seems that all the bandwidth goes to her, whilst leaving me unable to do much as pings push past the 2k mark in games and data takes so long to transfer that my browser just goes "Screw it" and gives me the "Server not found" message.

Any help's appreciated, thanks :3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Currently I'm on the 8MB package (or at least according to the landlord) and recently I've been getting sub 2MB speeds, and after a router reset, it often caps out at the 360-370kB/s mark whilst downloading. It's rare but on some days it does reach full potential, pushing 800kB/s and slightly more, but that only lasts for a few hours (like now for example :D ). Whenever speed drops, I notice that resetting the router seems to does the trick for the mean time. What's the problem there?

I heard a firmware upgrade might fix it, but obtaining one from the Zyxel website itself only results in an upload error, the file not being accepted by the router.

In the same breath, is there a way to configure the router in such a way that the speed is split evenly amongst users? Whenever my mom starts watching videos online, it seems that all the bandwidth goes to her, whilst leaving me unable to do much as pings push past the 2k mark in games and data takes so long to transfer that my browser just goes "Screw it" and gives me the "Server not found" message.

Any help's appreciated, thanks :3

Hi Dannysaurus,

From your post above there are a few things we should advise you of. Generally, using a standard setup it's not easy to distribute bandwidth. I'm fairly sure that it is possible but would likely involve customer settings like static IP addresses and special software but it would depend on you level of experience with computers.

Once someone in the house is doing anything intensive online like watching movies/downloading files/torrents you will notice speed decrease and ping increase. That's why most speedtest sites advise that you test the connection with only one device, and with nothing downloading in the background. Also, consider things like iPhones/iPads/Smartphones/PS3/Xbox. If any of these devices are turned on and connecting to WiFi automatically they would in turn reduce the speed further.

You could be right in saying that the firmware update may help. See link for eircom Zyxel firmware here. If this doesn't improve the connection PM me your landline number and I'll test it further for you.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Dannysaurus

Hi Dannysaurus,

From your post above there are a few things we should advise you of. Generally, using a standard setup it's not easy to distribute bandwidth. I'm fairly sure that it is possible but would likely involve customer settings like static IP addresses and special software but it would depend on you level of experience with computers.

Once someone in the house is doing anything intensive online like watching movies/downloading files/torrents you will notice speed decrease and ping increase. That's why most speedtest sites advise that you test the connection with only one device, and with nothing downloading in the background. Also, consider things like iPhones/iPads/Smartphones/PS3/Xbox. If any of these devices are turned on and connecting to WiFi automatically they would in turn reduce the speed further.

You could be right in saying that the firmware update may help. See link for eircom Zyxel firmware here. If this doesn't improve the connection PM me your landline number and I'll test it further for you.

Regards

James

That kinda goes without saying :P Which is why I was trying to figure out is there a way to make the decrease in speed less drastic. Like, I'm getting around 40ms in ping, and my threshold for playability is anything under 90ms, which is a rather large wiggle room, if that sentence actually made sense xD

I found that page a few days back, but the router doesn't seem to recognize it as valid firmware. Since we don't really use the landline (at all) I don't have it at the moment. Though when people start coming back from work I'll ask then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

That kinda goes without saying :P Which is why I was trying to figure out is there a way to make the decrease in speed less drastic. Like, I'm getting around 40ms in ping, and my threshold for playability is anything under 90ms, which is a rather large wiggle room, if that sentence actually made sense xD

I found that page a few days back, but the router doesn't seem to recognize it as valid firmware. Since we don't really use the landline (at all) I don't have it at the moment. Though when people start coming back from work I'll ask then.

Hi Dannysaurus,

I know what you mean there but trust me, one thing I've learned doing technical support is that nothing goes without saying. I have to cover every possibility. You'd be surprised how many times even supposed experts miss the most basic steps. But anyway, what you say there about having a tolerance of up to 90ms for ping fits in with our support team. They see anything up to 85-90ms as an acceptable ping time.

With regards to the firmware, I'll need you to get the account number and PM it to me along with your email address. What I'll do is email you the latest firmware file directly with some instructions on uploading it. That should do the job for you. Was thinking about this and you may be able to get some third party software that could divide up the bandwidth but from speaking to our team there's nothing approved by eircom to do this job. Send on the account info anyway and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

James

Advertisement