Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Need More OAP's like this

• 20-07-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

You may not agree but i think by chance it worked out lucky that this guy had a gun.

I'm Aware of the shootings that happened last night but. This man has done some good and for all we know there could of been more shootings. But thanks to him ppl were saved from being mugged and shot if situation were to get out of hand. It could have swung both ways. but it ended on a relativly postive note.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Oh, you picked the wrong day for this thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Poor timing, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Yes, more armed people. That's what the world needs, not less guns but more guns.

1. Everybody carries a gun
    2.???????????
    3.=less pointless gun deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Im aware loads of ppl have been killed but. This man managed to save few more lives.

I don't know why, but the fact they were arrested for "criminal mischief" made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Jhcx wrote: »
    Grabs popcorn for the abuse to come on guns and the world in general

Yes, if we had more guns there would definitely be less violent crime.

I hope you're not going to a Batman screening with that popcorn btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Why didnt they just blow his head off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Why didnt they just blow his head off?

:confused:

Because they were being shot at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It could have ended very badly just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

chin_grin wrote: »

Because they were being shot at?

Perhaps I should have watched it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I hope you're not going to a Batman screening with that popcorn btw...

Unfortunatly i am planning to go tonight and im sh*ttin myself. but cant let this stop me. way i look at it. if i get shot i get shot it must have been coming :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

This man managed to save few more lives.

no he didnt

he stopped a few people getting robbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Helix wrote: »
    no he didnt

he stopped a few people getting robbed

The robbers were armed so who knows what they were capable of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yes, there's no stopping these criminal masterminds. Unless you're an elderly fella enjoying your retirement in Florida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

And when that crime comes we'll be ready to blow it's freaking head off.

Obvious logic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Everyone who has a gun should be shot.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Unfortunatly i am planning to go tonight and im sh*ttin myself. but cant let this stop me. way i look at it. if i get shot i get shot it must have been coming :(

Are you serious? If you are thats one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

to be fair if there were no guns we would still kill each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

they were capable of sweet feck all considering they were armed yet an old man put them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Helix wrote: »
    they were capable of sweet feck all considering they were armed yet an old man put them down
    If your getting shot at and more than likely don't know anything about a gun other than how to load it and shot it your going to flee like the coward that you are when someone doesn't fall for your hardman ruse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

great story good to see someone being actively a good samaritan type vigalante

great story good to see someone being actively a good samaritan type vigalante

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

While I'm all for scumbags getting what is coming to them, this could have easily gone another way. They could have started blindly shooting back at him or blindly shooting in any direction because they were panicked and could have hit an innocent bystander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

We need OAP's what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Im aware loads of ppl have been killed but. This man managed to save few more lives.

You do know that when any old civilian is allowed to own a gun, that makes it an awful lot easier for petty criminals to get their hands on a gun, don't you? The same kind of petty criminals who, oh I don't know, go around robbing shops?

One man getting rid of armed robbers is one drop in a whole pond of shootings. Lack of gun control not only makes it easier for scumbags to arm themselves, but it also makes it easier for them to commit crimes because they always have the initiative.

Do you wonder why an entire room of people had to die and be injured? Because the man with the gun could shoot at will while everyone else was caught by surprise and had nowhere to go. I would never feel safe in a country that allows its citizens free access to firearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

That was a very poorly executed robbery. One of them should have adopted a position where he can view the room. The 2nd should roar at everyone to get on the floor to see immediately who might become a problem.

The guy who doesn't cooperate should be used as an example to others and be loudly threatened - if he doesn't cooperate the robber should break his nose with the weapon. That would set the tone and subdue any wannabe vigilantes who might be thinking of having a go. Then one robber should get the loot while the other gives cover.

Feckin' amateurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

This man managed to save few more lives.

There was a robbery in progress, not a shooting. Lives may have been at risk, but opening fire at the thieves in this way (in a crowded room) was probably not a good strategy, especially since the elderly gent does not appear to have been a great shot (it looks like most of his shots missed). There's no evidence that the thieves fired a single shot, even while being fired upon.

As for chasing the fleeing thieves and shooting at them as they fled, well that was just extremely unwise. Had he killed one of them with his efforts who's to say he would not have been charged with manslaughter?

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

You do know that when any old civilian is allowed to own a gun, that makes it an awful lot easier for petty criminals to get their hands on a gun, don't you? The same kind of petty criminals who, oh I don't know, go around robbing shops?

It makes it a bit easier for sure. But then having the kind of laws we have in Ireland makes it impossible for "any old civilian", but only slightly harder for the criminals. So where does that leave us?

It's just a shame that this old guy wasn't in the cinema in Denver last night.
    especially since the elderly gent does not appear to have been a great shot (it looks like most of his shots missed).

He took on 2 armed opponents and managed to hit them both - that was outstanding. It's a lot harder than it looks.

firefly08 wrote: »
    It makes it a bit easier for sure. But then having the kind of laws we have in Ireland makes it impossible for "any old civilian", but only slightly harder for the criminals. So where does that leave us?

It's just a shame that this old guy wasn't in the cinema in Denver last night.

He took on 2 armed opponents and managed to hit them both - that was outstanding. It's a lot harder than it looks.

More casualties? Best not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

More casualties? Best not.

That makes no sense - going by the evidence of what happened, the logical conclusion is that if he had been there would have shot the attacker - that would be likely to have resulted in fewer casualties.

That makes no sense - going by the evidence of what happened, the logical conclusion is that if he had been there would have shot the attacker - that would be likely to have resulted in fewer casualties.

An elderly armed man in a darkened cinema?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Actually, I think that's a much more preferable state of affairs. Gangland criminals and their like will always have access to guns and generally spend a lot of their time at each others' throats rather than shooting people in cinemas. It's any petty criminal/lowlife/homicidal maniac being able to get a hold of these things that we should be worried about. One can avoid gangland territory and the like, but I would feel very unsafe on the street knowing that all it takes is an easily attained gun from the pocket of one of these people and my life/wallet/both are under threat. Civilians shouldn't have to worry about this, nor should they have to take it upon themselves to protect themselves from it. That kind of arms race has only one result, and it's more crime and more deaths.

Advertisement