Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a dog, Quick question

• 20-07-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to a wedding down in Kerry in a few weeks. I have a house down (it's in the middle of nowhere really) there and all the neighbors around the area will be gone to the wedding too. I'm going to have to leave the dog in the house, the thing is it will be for 23/24 hours. I don't really feel right about it but there are no Kennels around and nobody to look in on him because they will all be at the wedding. I will leave a large amount of water and food, and I will tire him out before we go so he will sleep most of the day, I'll take him on a long walk/jog. It is the first and most definitely the last time he will be left alone for so long. There isn't really anything else I can do. I know thats not really a question, I'm really just looking for someone to tell me he will be ok this once on his own.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I couldnt do it to my dog or dogs, but thats me. A lot can happen in 24 hours to be honest and i couldnt risk leaving my dogs for that long without being checked on.
    Is there absolutely no one that could come check him? Is there a kennels near where the wedding is on that you could put him in to?

Edited to add, just read you are going to a wedding down in Kerry, so where are living now? Can you not put him in kennels where you live? If there are other options, then leaving a dog on his own for that long is a definite no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

andreac wrote: »
    I couldnt do it to my dog or dogs, but thats me. A lot can happen in 24 hours to be honest and i couldnt risk leaving my dogs for that long without being checked on.
    Is there absolutely no one that could come check him? Is there a kennels near where the wedding is on that you could put him in to?

Where the wedding is on just an hours drive from the house, the nearest kennels is nearly an hours drive in the opposite direction. Anyone that we know well enough to ask will be at the wedding, it's just a tricky situation. I'm the same as you, I'll be worried almost the whole time.

I was going to clear out where he would be, but his bed there, cover a big area with cardboard/newpapers, leave plenty of water and food, give him some bones to chew on, freeze his kong toy with stuff inside for him.

Any other suggestions as to what I could give him so he is not bored. Other than not going to the wedding there isn't really anything I can do I don't think. We will be on our holidays down there for just over a week before hand and a few days after the wedding so we couldn't leave him up in Dublin in a kennels because that would be too long.

Of course there is something you can do.

Cant you leave him the kennels then for 2 days?

Sorry but it just sounds like putting him in kennels is too much hassle for you, which is very unfair if you ask me.
    An hours drive is nothing. Drop him at the kennels the day before and pick him up the day after the wedding, simples. Or get up very early and drop him to the kennels the morning of the wedding. You will have plenty of time as most weddings dont start until at least 12/1/2pm so loads of time to drop him at the kennels.

Please do not leave your dog on its own for 24 hours :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

good luck having a house to come back to! 24 hours is plenty of time for a dog to get very bored and up to all sorts of mischief!

just put him in kennels for the 2 days. it'll be 100% safer and probably cheaper than redecorating the house! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Of course there is something you can do.

Please do not leave your dog on its own for 24 hours :(

+1

• Advertisement

Just off the phone there to one of the neighbors and it turns out there is a new kennels opened not so long ago just outside where the wedding is! Happy days. Thanks for the replies folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Dogs often sleep 20 hours a day so one day is not the end of the world.

Certainly not desirable but if its left alone for one day in its life (which it sound like) its not going to harm the poor fella.

Give him a big load of love when you get back ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Take him with you?

ANYTHING rather than leave him like that. A dog cannot hold water etc for that period and he will go nuts also of loneliness. He needs you or someone. I mean NEEDS. More than food or water , more than a walk, he needs you/people.

When we have dogs, we have to put their needs first. Everyone here knows that.

Please, do not leave him like that; the drive to the kennels is nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Could you not just tie him in the garden??

Everyone's happy then. Gaffe not wrecked. Dog not indoors all day?

Worst and most dangerous idea ever!! Please do not do this op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Please, oh please tell me you are joking. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd trust mine not to wreck the place, but no, NO, dog can hold their bladder and bowel for 24 hours.

CiaranK wrote: »
    Just off the phone there to one of the neighbors and it turns out there is a new kennels opened not so long ago just outside where the wedding is! Happy days. Thanks for the replies folks :)

People might have missed this post :)

kinkygirl wrote: »

Please, oh please tell me you are joking. :mad:

I am 100% not joking.

Locking a housetrained dog in a house is IMO a stupid thing to do.

If the back garden is secure just leave out enough food and water to get him through the day and the dog will be happy out.

If the garden is not secure and there is a chance the dog could escape and harm himself or others, a well thought out bit of 4 mil steel rope in the back garden and no problemo.

A dog won't get traumatised from a day on his own. More likely locking a dog in the house and forcing it to urinate and defecate where it knows it shouldn't will. Or at the very least will cause you problems down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If the garden is not secure and there is a chance the dog could escape and harm himself or others, a well thought out bit of 4 mil steel rope in the back garden and no problemo.

And what happens when the dog gets panicked because it's never been on a chain before, barks the place down, pisses off all the neighbours? Or ends up pacing because it's so stressed from being on a chain and makes the chain shorter and shorter until it can't move an inch? Jumps up, gets the chain caught on a tree branch and ends up hanging its self?

Really not a good idea to chain a dog which has never been chained before when there is no one around. (well not good full stop but I know sometimes it's a last resort) OP I'm glad you found a kennels, the little fella will probably have more fun than you will at the wedding! :P

And what happens when the dog gets panicked because it's never been on a chain before, barks the place down, pisses off all the neighbours? Or ends up pacing because it's so stressed from being on a chain and makes the chain shorter and shorter until it can't move an inch? Jumps up, gets the chain caught on a tree branch and ends up hanging its self?

Really not a good idea to chain a dog which has never been chained before when there is no one around. (well not good full stop but I know sometimes it's a last resort) OP I'm glad you found a kennels, the little fella will probably have more fun than you will at the wedding! :P

Wow a lot of hysteria there. Yeah okay, sometimes the worst case scenario happens. But if you think it out and minimise the risk of these things happening there shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know I posted all the worst case scenarios, but it's just so people see it's not as easy as throw on a chain and he'll be grand. I've heard horror stories of people who don't think it through and then come home to a hanging dog. Fair enough if you've to chain a dog for it's own safety, we had a dog for 15 years who had to stay on a chain or else she'd have gotten shot by a farmer (no matter how secure the garden was she always found a way out), but there was always someone around to keep an eye out, and if there wasn't then she wasn't on the chain, she was in her kennel or a run. But it doesn't matter anyway because the OP has made a good decision in booking a kennels :)

I personally know of two dogs that died in their own garden by being hung by their collars. One tried to jump the fence and the owner came home to find the dog hanging dead on the fence by his collar.

Another was a puppy that got caught up in something in the garden and choked and died, and these both were dogs that werent even tied up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

dangerous game is tethering incorrectly. so much so that certain states in the U.S. are bringing in legislation to ban it.

I personally know of two dogs that died in their own garden by being hung by their collars. One tried to jump the fence and the owner came home to find the dog hanging dead on the fence by his collar.

Another was a puppy that got caught up in something in the garden and choked and died, and these both were dogs that werent even tied up :(

If they were tied correctly they wouldn't have gotten near the fence.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't leave him on his own tied up myself.

Down there when he is in the garden he is on a 20/25 foot rope and he can run around like a mad thing on his harness without worrying about him getting away. Surrounded by fields/farm animals/farmers dogs and there are ways to get out in the garden over ditches etc. Someone is always with him when he is on the rope :)

If they were tied correctly they wouldn't have gotten near the fence.

They werent tied up. Thats the point i was trying to make that even a dog thats not tied up can choke itself, so tying a dog up is even riskier.

Tying a dog up is a recipe for disaster so its very bad advice to tie a dog up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wow a lot of hysteria there. Yeah okay, sometimes the worst case scenario happens. But if you think it out and minimise the risk of these things happening there shouldn't be an issue.

Not hysteria; simply caring which is what dog owners do.

Also danger of theft.

Advertisement