Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts for Upgrade - Final Check

Options
  • 20-07-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for any pointers on my next upgrade.

Only changing the motherboard, processor and RAM, everything else stays the same. Only concern is the cooler fitting into my Antec 900 case.

Processor | i5 3750K | €230.01
    Motherboard | Gigabyte UD5H | €180.52
    Cooler | Arctic Cooler i30 | €36.12
    RAM |2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP PC-12800 | €56.29
    |Total|€502.94

The motherboard is a tad on the expensive side but I feel it'll be worth it for the extra ports. I'd rather not find myself lacking for SATA or USB ports down the line.

Cost is mostly being set off by sale of old hardware and a small project coming to fruition but I'd rather not spend too much more than that.

Anybody any recommendations for changes or does this all look good?

I'm also seriously considering getting the Samsung Green RAM for clocking purposes buy don't think I could justify nearly double the cost for it...

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
    Antar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

How much?!
    Why that motherboard?
    and
    How Much?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think the UD5H is supposed to be unstable. If you run out of SATA ports you could always buy a SATA PCI card. I'd suggest something like the Asus P8Z77-V or ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (6 SATA ports, 6 USB ports)

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.70
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€208.07
    Intel Core i5-3570K Tray, LGA1155|€213.33
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156|€67.99
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€545.08

Mad e-peen motherboard, better cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

How much?!
    Why that motherboard?
    and
    How Much?!

I'd heard good things about it and it offers 9 SATA ports as well as a heap of headers for extra USB ports (can never have enough USB ports). It also supports RAID 5 which is something I require. My current Gigabyte board has been fairly solid bar some early day troubles with incompatibilities between the SATA controller and on-board NIC.

If there's a similar or better offering for a similar or cheaper price then let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

About the €500 mark.

RAID 5 on a marvel controller :eek:

I'd go for a cheaper main board and look at a proper controller for RAID 5. If the MB goes the RAID array will go with it. That said same for the controller card but I suspect the failure rate is less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement