Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time CS degree

Options
  • 20-07-2012 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about doing a part-time Computer Science degree. My background is that I've been working in IT for about 10-12 years at this stage so I've a lot of experience but would like a degree as well.

I'm from the north and did all my education up there so I know nothing about the southern education system and I'm currently living and working down here.

The highest equalification I have is a BTEC HNC in Business IT. My GCSE grades are woeful, all D's and E's, including mathematics.

Do you know what my chances are of doing a part-time CS degree in Dublin? Would I be able to skip out on the first year due to my experience and HNC?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

DCU do a post grad course that allows for experience but I can not find a link to it.
    It would depend on the course and college,a lot has changed since you did your HNC .

Also have a look at DIT and NCI ,TCD used to do one so they are worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

G-Money wrote: »
    The highest equalification I have is a BTEC HNC in Business IT. My GCSE grades are woeful, all D's and E's, including mathematics.

That would certainly stand to you, but don't worry about your GCSE grades. With your experience and the HNC, they should not matter at all.
    G-Money wrote: »
    Do you know what my chances are of doing a part-time CS degree in Dublin? Would I be able to skip out on the first year due to my experience and HNC?

You may not be able to skip the first year, specifically, but you may get exemption from courses that are similar.

And as for your chances, it doesn't come down to chance. I would be extremely surprised if you were not accepted to a part-time course.

Advertisement