Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwellian disregard for the public

• 20-07-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

The way this country has been run and the way all politicians are just agenda driven hoors is ridiculous. Where is the centrist party that is straight?
    FF/FG/Lab are sa bent as s-hooks and most of the rest are incompetent militant fools.

I used to be involved in politics but the smugness and cliqueness of those involved was disgusting, they just keep feeding their mates the same bull**** which entrenches stances.

If they keep going down this line the next year and a half is going to get very dangerous for a number of individuals.

edit: Last straw was these bloody gender quotas but there has been a long list of questionable decisions over the last while. Bank bailout and the plethora of ridiculous follow ons. The horrendous pay and benefits that politicians are on. Inability to do anything about public sector wasted (make it manageable at least) and the fact that while I was working friends of mine got more money and other support from the government by not taking jobs. I had hopes FG would handle some of what was there when they came to power, it was FG I was involved in but I am completely disillusioned now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Care to be more specific?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you used to be involved in politics to any significant degree, then maybe you have the experience to start a new party. Go for it.

Many of us want more variety in elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Bertie, how you've changed your tune.. Thinking of running again!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

How original.

A thread insulting politicians for a vague reason with a sensationalist headline and final statement that is threatening while saying nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

George Orwell actually gave a lot of attention to the public, particularly its most disenfranchised members. See Down and Out in Paris and London and The Road to Wigan Pier for examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

If they keep going down this line the next year and a half is going to get very dangerous for a number of individuals.

Thank god guns aren't legal in this country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I used to be involved in politics

Would never have guessed. Your post makes such perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

The way this country has been run and the way all politicians are just agenda driven hoors is ridiculous. Where is the centrist party that is straight?
    FF/FG/Lab are a bent as s-hooks and most of the other incompetent militant fools.

I used to be involved in politics but the smugness and cliqueness of those involved was disgusting, they just keep feeding their mates the same bull**** which entrenches stances.

So OP you want a political Party that has no agenda? mmmm ehh no, I will pass on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

Start driving a taxi, messing around with springs and looking really, really intensely into mirrors whilst speaking to yourself...and it will all be OK.

Promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Orwellian? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

davet82 wrote: »
    Thank god guns aren't legal in this country :rolleyes:

Eh guns are legal :confused:

Eh guns are legal :confused:

ok sorry... more widely available then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Don't really understand what you are saying here. Are you threatening these unnamed individuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

I must work harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dave! wrote: »
    If you used to be involved in politics to any significant degree, then maybe you have the experience to start a new party. Go for it.

Many of us want more variety in elections.

I agree but each party carries its own problems in this country. IMHO the power of the political whip system in this country drives away real poiliticians with any desire for change. In the whip the parties have a method in which they put themselves first. Peter Matthews of fine gael is a person I have a lot of time for but the way the party whip has affected his time in politics has removed the possibiltiy of any real impact he can make on Irish politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

ok sorry... more widely available then :P
    They're pretty widely available too. There's thousands and thousands of legally held licenced firearms in Ireland.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Don't really understand what you are saying here. Are you threatening these unnamed individuals?

Politically speaking, a lot of them will lose their seats due to the fall FG was goin to have anyway but which is just exacerbated by their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Much as I love the novel, sometimes I think that Eric Blair has a lot to answer for in unleashing the Orwellian concept on the world. Car got clamped? That's Orwellian. Fined for speeding? Orwellian too. CCTV on O'Connell St? Big Brother is watching- most definitely Orwellian.

I'm pretty certain that those who most misuse the relevant terms have likely never even opened 1984, let alone read it.

Einhard wrote: »
    Much as I love the novel, sometimes I think that Eric Blair has a lot to answer for in unleashing the Orwellian concept on the world. Car got clamped? That's Orwellian. Fined for speeding? Orwellian too. CCTV on O'Connell St? Big Brother is watching- most definitely Orwellian.

I'm pretty certain that those who most misuse the relevant terms have likely never even opened 1984, let alone read it.

It has really been co-opted as the high level of influence/intrusion of government and organisations into peoples lives and freedoms. The orginal intention of the word is was it is but the current use of the word defines its meaning to most of the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I blame de foredeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It has really been co-opted as the high level of influence/intrusion of government and organisations into peoples lives and freedoms. The orginal intention of the word is was it is but the current use of the word defines its meaning to most of the public.

By that definition, "Orwellian disregard for the public" doesn't really make any sense then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Co-opted by people who misuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I agree but each party carries its own problems in this country. IMHO the power of the political whip system in this country drives away real poiliticians with any desire for change. In the whip the parties have a method in which they put themselves first. Peter Matthews of fine gael is a person I have a lot of time for but the way the party whip has affected his time in politics has removed the possibiltiy of any real impact he can make on Irish politics.

Can you expand on that please? I've seen reference to the whip system before, but am not entirely sure what people mean... Isn't the whip system what's used to keep party members voting in line with the party leadership?

I would have thought that that was important in ensuring a stable government at least.

of or relating to the works of George Orwell (especially his picture of a future totalitarian state

seems to make sense based on that and from the reading of 1984, I'm not saying every aspect of the society he depicts is present but a good few parts of it are developing.

As for co-opted through misuse, it was used in that fashion a long time before I was born so my point still applies.

Sky King wrote: »
    They're pretty widely available too. There's thousands and thousands of legally held licenced firearms in Ireland.

oh ffs.... Uzi's then, thank god for no Uzi's being widley available! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

oh ffs.... Uzi's then, thank god for no Uzi's being widley available! :pac:
    Ah, but there are uzis everywhere. There is probably an uzi within 100 meters of you right now.

Not really, but would be funny for you to have to go, "Ah feck, no more claims from me now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

SocSocPol wrote: »
    So OP you want a political Party that has no agenda? mmmm ehh no, I will pass on that.

You obviously haven't heard of the "Couldn't give a sh1t party". It would have lots of members but interested people couldn't be arsed signing up for it because they don't give a sh1t.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Ah, but there are uzis everywhere. There is probably an uzi within 100 meters of you right now.

Not really, but would be funny for you to have to go, "Ah feck, no more claims from me now."

i'd close my account :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Einhard wrote: »

Spot-on. North Korea is Orwellian, Ireland is so very very much not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Dave! wrote: »
    Can you expand on that please? I've seen reference to the whip system before, but am not entirely sure what people mean... Isn't the whip system what's used to keep party members voting in line with the party leadership?

I would have thought that that was important in ensuring a stable government at least.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes thats the premise of the party whip system in Ireland at least. The whip system ensures that every party member tows the party line and vites in line with the party. The UK and America also but the power of the political whip doesnt seem as far reaching in the uk and america. The leaders of the political parties in this country apply absolute control over the parties here. As a result members of Irish political parties are just extensions of their political leader and not effective politicians.

Recently Peter Matthews wanted to change the wording of an invite to patrick honohan and as a result of orders from the party whip he had to vote against his own proposal. Thats the type of crazy control the whip system has in this country. In the uk and amercia often politicians speak out against the party line yet remain in the party. We should have a system like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ah jasus OP, these are political Parties you're talking about. Parties are supposed to be laid back and a bit of fun - sort of like a birthday party but with more money involved. If they wanted to do a bit of good, itt'd be a Political Workgroup. Nobody gets involved with a party for the work, it's for the craic and a few bob. Parteeh. The hints in the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles, because only there, in those
    swarming disregarded masses, eighty-five percent of the population of Oceania,
    could the force to destroy the Party ever be generated."
    - George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 7

Advertisement