Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat is not playful

• 20-07-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi everyone i have my cat about a year and a half i took him off a girl who cudnt look after him. Hes great hes outside cat tho just comes for food sleep or a pet but lately he dont want me to pet him hes just letting me but hes not happy and he never plays with me i even got ribbon and tryed hanging it nd trying to play he dnt lik balls as well
    is it just his nature or is der anything i can do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The only rule you'll need to know with cats is.....you cant make them do anything they dont want to do. Simple as. If he's an outdoor cat he'll get all the exercise and mental stimulation he needs and wont be the slightest bit interested in the bit of ribbon you're offering him to play with :p

Most...not all cats, play less and less as they get older too. If he's not acting sick etc then i wouldnt worry about it. Not much fun for you though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I notice cats never play with toys. A straw, yes. A piece of string, those rings off the top of milk cartons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't worry about it, it's the same here, it seems as if the more expensive and fancy the toy, the less inclined they are to play with it. Bits of old string, rolled up tinfoil, cotton reels, you name it they'll play with it, but ignore any feather adorned special cat toys.

We also bought ours a very expensive cat 'tower' once which they dutifully went up to, sniffed at disdainfully and then completely ignored. An empty cardboard box, or a paper carrier bag however can give them hours of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

Don't take it personally, it's just how they are.

Advertisement