Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to contact over Father Griffin Road lanes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

yer man! wrote: »
    I get so confused driving on the road at two specific junction, 1. near the fire station and 2. near the Super Valu. I never know which lane to be in to go straight on as there are two lanes side my side both with arrows to proceed straight ahead however the opposite side of the junction only has one lane. It's obviously from when one lane was used to turn off onto the now one way street. It's been like this for years and I've witnessed a crash there before and had a few near misses myself when a car goes into the lane next to me and tries to cut in the other side of the junction. All the junction needs is a few arrows removed and repainted.....

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=galway&hl=en&ll=53.268967,-9.057554&spn=0.000921,0.002411&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.592876,79.013672&hnear=Galway,+County+Galway,+Ireland&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.268823,-9.057739&panoid=ymkxvUbNthJeHhArFhdFwQ&cbp=12,44.18,,0,10.71

Super Valu junction (no arrows at all) I use the right lane to turn right and the left to go straight on, I don't know if this is correct procedure or not.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=galway&hl=en&ll=53.267366,-9.061275&spn=0.000914,0.002411&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.592876,79.013672&hnear=Galway,+County+Galway,+Ireland&t=h&layer=c&cbll=53.267402,-9.061133&panoid=d6wocutA12rS9CeZ1ylRdw&cbp=12,254.71,,0,7.71&z=19

City council roads department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

For the Supervalu junction, I always stay in left lane for straight on and right lane for turning left. If you're in the right lane, you drive into a white box with a right turn arrow so you can't go straight on then anyway AFAIK.

For the fire station, I just go in whichever lane has cars really! It's just manners but you'll always get some cheeky fecker trying to jump in the lane with no car and cut off another car when taking off.
    Don't know legally which lane you should be in, I guess left as there is a right turn off at this junction.
    Basic manners at this junction go a long way though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

the best solution i've seen is people driving down the center of the two lanes at the fire station so no one can queue jump them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

yer man! wrote: »
    Super Valu junction (no arrows at all) I use the right lane to turn right and the left to go straight on

That's the way I approach it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

the best solution i've seen is people driving down the center of the two lanes at the fire station so no one can queue jump them

I do this from time to time, as I've had very bad experiences with people shooting up along side me and suddenly swerving in front of me to get across the bridge.

AFAIK the right hand lane at the Father Griffin junction is for straight ahead and right turn. The left lane is only turning left towards the Crescent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I do this from time to time, as I've had very bad experiences with people shooting up along side me and suddenly swerving in front of me to get across the bridge.

So do I, it is the only way to leave room for cyclists too as two side by side cars at those lights occupy the entire road. And there is no advanced stop box for cyclists there either...despite the fact that there is room for one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

When in the car I do this as well. For the reasons spongebob has given ie this design systematically removes road capacity from cyclists so as to store a few more cars side by side.

The GTU has plans for a similar "narrow stacking lane" treatment up at Thermo king

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

On a very rare occasion a car turns right there...very rare mind. Then I use the inside lane. The footpath is also narrow and busy and forcing cylists inside is pointless. They WERE supposed to have done _Something_ by now but haven't. :)

Remember This??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284542

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ideal junction to put in cycle lanes to jump to the top of the TRAFFIC Q. Especially Inbound.

Advertisement