Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My idea to make iOS multi-tasking a whole lot better

• 20-07-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭

I've been looking a lot at how inefficient multi-tasking is on iOS, especially in closing apps.

Taking a queue from Jelly Bean/Android wouldn't it be cool if you could just swipe down your app icons in the multi-tasking tray to close them? Just drag them down and they're gone.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

jailbreak > download kill background > win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Id be happier to see true multitasking in terms of being able to split screen an ipad and watch a stream on one side and type an email on the other half.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's no need to close apps using the multitasking bar unless you are experiencing a problem with the app. I almost never do it. A lot of people don't understand how iOS multitasking works and are under the mistaken impression that all those apps are running in the background. They aren't.

There's no need to close apps using the multitasking bar unless you are experiencing a problem with the app. I almost never do it. A lot of people don't understand how iOS multitasking works and are under the mistaken impression that all those apps are running in the background. They aren't.

When i close apps my available memory (displayed on the top when using sbsettings) closing them sees the memory/RAM increase or am i off the mark here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A lot of people don't understand how iOS multitasking works and are under the mistaken impression that all those apps are running in the background. They aren't.
    Some do take up memory though, right?

If my kids get their hands on my phone they open Gina the Giraffe and a half-dozen other apps that they exit half-way through stories and games and whatnot...

If there no benefit to closing these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There's no benefit to it. If the system needs the RAM it will reclaim it itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Your idea is to copy android. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Just trying to make things better, I'm not going to get into 'who copied who' cause you would have a long list.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Just trying to make things better, I'm not going to get into 'who copied who' cause you would have a long list.

Why make any list at all? this particular idea of yours (the sole reason you posted this thread) to make ios better is to copy what android have done, that's the fact of the matter - it's not an Apple Vs Google thing, those fanboy tiffs get fairly embarrassing quickly :pac:

Mactard wrote: »
    Why make any list at all? this particular idea of yours (the sole reason you posted this thread) to make ios better is to copy what android have done, that's the fact of the matter - it's not an Apple Vs Google thing, those fanboy tiffs get fairly embarrassing quickly :pac:

I was trying to pre-empt it turning into one, from posting on The Verge usually I find it tends to the second you mention apple.

In basic terms, clearing out the multitasking menu, do you think its better than the hold/wiggle/toggle thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As already pointed out though there's no need to be clearing out the multitasking bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

is an App in the multitasking bar still using location services?

I am sure that if I closed Co-pilot that the arrow is still showing in the top bar...or maybe its not...not sure now

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I use a nice little tweak called multifl0w for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcIORhb8NfQ

you can turn off the app very easily with it. I am pretty sure there is a way you can close them in zephyr they way you described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

barryd09 wrote: »
    Id be happier to see true multitasking in terms of being able to split screen an ipad and watch a stream on one side and type an email on the other half.

There's a JB app for that! Its called Quasar. I'm not sure how it'd handle streaming but it will open multiple windows at once for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYWha8YFi8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As already pointed out though there's no need to be clearing out the multitasking bar.

I know there isn't a true need but I like to have my most used apps handy whenever I'm in another app. For example I'll be in tweetbot and I want to switch quickly to Facebook, instead of having loads of apps in there like Games I like to keep a core 4/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is an App in the multitasking bar still using location services?

I am sure that if I closed Co-pilot that the arrow is still showing in the top bar...or maybe its not...not sure now
    there are 7 things an app can do in the background from the wiki page.

location is one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS#Multitasking

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

There's a JB app for that! Its called Quasar. I'm not sure how it'd handle streaming but it will open multiple windows at once for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYWha8YFi8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Have to say not a bad app.

barryd09 wrote: »

Brilliant, must check that out! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Have you tried Weecloseapps? Searchable from Cydia. It puts a slider in the notification tray and you swipe it left/right to control closing apps or other activities. The free version is what I use, although there is a more advanced version. I use it if I've been running big apps like tomtom, one swipe left and all background apps are closed/killed.

Advertisement