Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone own a Remington 11-87 super mag ?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I was looking at a Remington 11-87 3.5" super magnum in my local dealers a few weeks ago. It was pricey at €1150 but it fits me like a glove and I can never find decent guns that fit me. I was in this morning buying some ammo and I asked about the gun if it was still in stock and could I have a look. I picked it up, mounted and all the usual inspections. Its a beaut !!

Does anyone own one and can they give me their experiences?? Ive read online that there is some trouble with the super magnums not wanting to cycle 2 3/4" cartridges at all , and also that its a nightmare to strip down and clean due to several razor sharp pieces in the mechanism.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cant tell you much about the 11-87 .But its predecessor the 1100 Super mag had some issues with 2.75 in rounds as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I have the super mag SPS for 5 years and have never had an issue with it not wanting to cycle any ammo down to 28g..

Mine has taken some abuse over the years and never fails, I use everything up to 3.5inch cartidges, mix of rounds everything without issue..

As for cleaning, very simple.. sometime knocking out the pins to release the trigger mechinsim can be annoying but does not need to be clean everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 magic_tree

Terrier wrote: »
    I have the super mag SPS for 5 years and have never had an issue with it not wanting to cycle any ammo down to 28g..

Mine has taken some abuse over the years and never fails, I use everything up to 3.5inch cartidges, mix of rounds everything without issue..

As for cleaning, very simple.. sometime knocking out the pins to release the trigger mechinsim can be annoying but does not need to be clean everytime

Thanks for the reply terrier ! Its the first gun that Ive ever picked up and it has fit me like a glove. I've read a lot online about them not cycling anything less than heavy 3" loads which put me off a lot. Also its very hard to find any reviews on the exact model I was looking at. Its the walnut stock, all the ones online seem to be synthetic or mossy oak camo.

Advertisement