Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The digital changeover for analogue tv viewers

Options
  • 20-07-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

thought i'd start this in a new thread as most previous discussions on this topic are a few years old now. I've been looking into several possibilities such as Freeview and Saorview combi boxes, Freesat / Free-to-air, and so on and i'd like to open a discussion, and see maybe what people are doing about their analogue tv signal before it goes in october?

My finding so far:
    Saorview - rte/rte2/tv3/3e and duplicates of these for the price of a box (~50 in aldi atm) and installation (which is seeming ridiculously high at around 150???). overall really does not seem worth it
    Freeview - signals not good enough to get it in the city, and most of the county is too far out to receive the signal without a complicated two box system
    UPC - about 45 for the box + 50 for installation, + 5 extra a month if you've already got one box in the house, or one the deals they offer online. sounds ok but they are a nightmare to cancel with and there is tonnes of hidden (and often borderline not even legit) charges involved which suggest the no subscription boxes would be a much better idea

the rest i'm not 100% on just yet, but the research will continue. anyone like to chime in with their knowledge of what works for them? or which seems the best value?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A Saorview/Satellite Combi box can be picked up for around €100, this will allow you receive the 8 Saorview channels and dozens and dozens of FTA satellite channels including all the UK channels. Installation costs of this vary as a satellite dish and possibly a UHF aerial will be needed. Ive see some places offering all the equipment needed for as little as €175 inc delivery, this is exceptional value.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/260919535485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2829wt_952

At a guess, I reckon you'd get someone to install that system for in or around €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I will follow this with interest, I have not been paying attention except that I vaguely know I have to do something before October!

Is anyone on Coastal Systems, I keep meaning to ring them to see what painless solutions they can offer me - I'm looking for the easiest way out, at the moment I have RTE + various BBC and ITV channels (plus some junk channels), in 2 rooms for either €70 or 80 a year. The TVs are new and should be ok. I'm happy with the arrangement at present.

I think it is just the RTE channels I have to be concerned about. Does anyone know what Coastal Systems will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Aquos76 wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/260919535485?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2829wt_952

At a guess, I reckon you'd get someone to install that system for in or around €100.
    Have you got this and if so how would you rate it?
    I've got basic UPC digital but hardly ever watch tv so thinking of getting rid of it and just going for something like this for the family. I'd also have to pay someone to install it as I'm a pussy when it comes to ladders :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A Saorview/Satellite Combi box can be picked up for around €100, this will allow you receive the 8 Saorview channels and dozens and dozens of FTA satellite channels including all the UK channels. Installation costs of this vary as a satellite dish and possibly a UHF aerial will be needed. Ive see some places offering all the equipment needed for as little as €175 inc delivery, this is exceptional value.

Presumably that is just for one tv, what do you need to get to do more than one?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 yankadi

Hi
    There's a lot of confusing information about I think, the ads and leaflets for Saorview are a bit vague! If you have a digital tv, something you bought in the past 5 years or so , then you don't need this "set top box" the tv will recognise and decode the digital signal.
    The panic being generated might be something to do with RTE owning Saorview and it's an extra few quid... 50-80 a box ... and if about half the population buy one..
    ok rant over :)
    Freeview is very simple, I've set it up loads of times and there are lots of channels to get, if you get an updated box you can also access HD channels if you want, some also have PVR which is easy to use too, recordings can even be watched back on your pc if you're using an external hard drive.
    You can use just the box if you already have a sky dish installed, if you have an old sky dish and box you can even reset the box for freeview, instructions on the www somewhere !

• Advertisement

lets not confuse the terms here, Freeview is a service for the UK only, where as Freesat is a FTA satellite system

lets not confuse the terms here, Freeview is a service for the UK only, where as Freesat is a FTA satellite system
    true !

looksee wrote: »
    Presumably that is just for one tv, what do you need to get to do more than one?

Just additional combi boxes, most dishes now come with a quad LNB, these cna run up to 4 boxes and the Saorview signal is so strong over Waterford City, that there is no problem feeding four boxes from the one UHF aerial.

old gregg wrote: »
    Have you got this and if so how would you rate it?

Yeah, I have it set up on one TV in the house, its an excellent system alright, however, I also have a sky subscription also so by having this system if gives us the option of a 2nd tv that we can watch different channels other that those been viewed on the Sky digibox.

As a replacement for UPC, well if you only have the one TV in the house well its a no brainer, however, with each addition TV you will have to add another combi receiver and then there will be the additional installation costs. This is where the costs can spiral alright.

As a replacement for UPC, well if you only have the one TV in the house well its a no brainer, however, with each addition TV you will have to add another combi receiver and then there will be the additional installation costs. This is where the costs can spiral alright.[/QUOTE]

What about the RF through on some of the boxes ? or a wirless transmitter to keep the costs & wiring down?
    I know it means you watch what's on the box in all, but handy all the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

@Aquos76: just the one tv that the women watch endless crime dramas on. I just want music on tv \m/ :)
    Anyone local who can fit this and know what they are doing? Cheers for any thoughts.

^ just the one tv that the women watch endless crime dramas on. I just want music on tv \m/ :)
    Anyone local who can fit this and know what they are doing? Cheers for any thoughts.

Mark Knopfler on BBC4 tonight..

yankadi wrote: »
    As a replacement for UPC, well if you only have the one TV in the house well its a no brainer, however, with each addition TV you will have to add another combi receiver and then there will be the additional installation costs. This is where the costs can spiral alright.

What about the RF through on some of the boxes ? or a wirless transmitter to keep the costs & wiring down?
    I know it means you watch what's on the box in all, but handy all the same?[/QUOTE]

As far a I know, those Ferguson combi receivers only come with an RF loop through rather than an RF out, I'll double check for you tomorrow and post back.

@Aquos76: just the one tv that the women watch endless crime dramas on. I just want music on tv \m/ :)

PM me your number if you like and I'll get someone to give you a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

looksee wrote: »
    I will follow this with interest, I have not been paying attention except that I vaguely know I have to do something before October!

Is anyone on Coastal Systems, I keep meaning to ring them to see what painless solutions they can offer me - I'm looking for the easiest way out, at the moment I have RTE + various BBC and ITV channels (plus some junk channels), in 2 rooms for either €70 or 80 a year. The TVs are new and should be ok. I'm happy with the arrangement at present.

I think it is just the RTE channels I have to be concerned about. Does anyone know what Coastal Systems will do?

What is a coastal system?

Advertisement