Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 PDC World Matchplay Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

A typical Barney performance when things start to go wrong he starts sulking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

leggo wrote: »
    Every year, I forget how much I love the Matchplay. What a night, and it's not even over!

Best tournament to watch by a mile imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Delighted for Jenkins, would love for Smith to beat Lewis but I can't see it happening.

13-0, another whitewash on the way I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Best tournament to watch by a mile imo

Hmm, tough to disagree with. The PL drags out a bit long; the UK Open is great at the start but can get a bit too mental and random by Sunday; the Grand Prix is a bit of a chore; and the Grand Slam a bit over-complicated. The Worlds will always be more special, but some years it can be a bit dodgy and disappointing (I think it goes on so long that if it's not great, it feels anti-climactic).

The Matchplay is relatively short, but has long battles with only the heavyweights involved, and a knockout format so every game counts. Yep, on reflection I'd agree with that assessment!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Adi makes it look so easy..

• Advertisement

Delighted for Jenkins, would love for Smith to beat Lewis but I can't see it happening.

13-0, another whitewash on the way I feel.
    Early doors but it's looking like it certainly won't be far off!
    Hmm, tough to disagree with. The PL drags out a bit long; the UK Open is great at the start but can get a bit too mental and random by Sunday; the Grand Prix is a bit of a chore; and the Grand Slam a bit over-complicated. The Worlds will always be more special, but some years it can be a bit dodgy and disappointing (I think it goes on so long that if it's not great, it feels anti-climactic).

The Matchplay is relatively short, but has long battles with only the heavyweights involved, and a knockout format so every game counts. Yep, on reflection I'd agree with that assessment!

Yeah I'm a big fan of the matchplay. Nice time of year for it too! The GP can get annoying with the double in and the UK open can get very annoying to watch. PL dragged out definitely! Worlds are the highest stature but I just prefer the legs format. However I used to prefer the Matchplay final on the saturday but it's not that big a deal!

In other news, how on earth does Aidy Lewis get such goodlooking women! :D I know that he's two time world champ but come on! Also what happened to that weight loss routine he promised? For his age it is dangerous how overweight he is you'd think

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Just tuned in. Whats the difference between matchplay darts and 'ordinary' darts..?

robbie1977 wrote: »
    A typical Barney performance when things start to go wrong he starts sulking.

Psychologically he's terrible. Looking at him tonight for the first time you'd be shocked to hear he's won world championships! Seems to lose it at times during games.

Gary Anderson is another. Started laughing and joking when Deano took out a cracking finish yesterday. Seems to zone out during games and lose concentration.

Surely a record of consecutive legs and it's only increasing!

Lewis is unreal

• Advertisement

Ah pity a part of me would've loved a whitewash!

Lewis is simply a pleasure to watch when in full flow

Just tuned in. Whats the difference between matchplay darts and 'ordinary' darts..?

Matchplay is based on best of a certain amount of legs, set play is on sets (1 set = first to 3 legs). So matchplay is almost like a sprint, where you get ahead and have to try stay ahead, whereas set play is more strategic. You can afford to drop a set and still stay in the game over a long enough format. If you lose a few legs in a row in match play, you're looking at defeat.

Matchplay is based on best of a certain amount of legs, set play is on sets (1 set = first to 3 legs). So matchplay is almost like a sprint, where you get ahead and have to try stay ahead, whereas set play is more strategic. You can afford to drop a set and still stay in the game over a long enough format. If you lose a few legs in a row in match play, you're looking at defeat.

Exactly. In set play you can technically win more legs than your opponent but still lose the match on sets

Aidy is half way in his cot now, to be fair to Smith he's not giving up but with Lewis only going half-heartedly this is quite boring to watch

It says a lot about how good Lewis is that he's won the past two World Championships while still being the type of player who can completely lose interest in the entire game halfway through. I wonder if he's getting like Taylor in that Taylor beats himself up if he doesn't hit a 9-darter, now Lewis is perhaps frustrated that he didn't whitewash.

On another note I cannot stand Wayne Mardle in the commentary. Forgot since the PL how annoying he is!

You'd miss Dave Lanning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Brilliant :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So bad it's good :P

Justin Pipe is painful to watch

Except for the part he finished 132 with 2 bulls and double 16 :D Brilliant!

Except for the part he finished 132 with 2 bulls and double 16 :D Brilliant!

The ultimate sentence would be to have to sit down and watch him play Dennis Priestley on loop for a day! :D

• Advertisement

9 darter from Newton :D:D:D

Delighted for Pipe! Crowd an absolute disgrace at the end there... Absolute idiots

Delighted for Pipe! Crowd an absolute disgrace at the end there... Absolute idiots

Yeah, what the hell? They just turned all of a shot, on both players!

Newton was booed as well, brainless idiots!

Gotya wrote: »
    Yeah, what the hell? They just turned all of a shot, on both players!

Yeah they booed Pipe out of it when he was throwing to win. Pipe got a lot of stick from the braindead's at the world champs too. But then (I presume) the Pipe followers retaliated and tried to put Newton off. Disgraceful stuff. They shouldn't hesitate to eject some drunken idiots

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's a pity because the crowds have been top notch so far and very well behaved compared to other tournaments. Disappointing end to a decent game.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It's a pity because the crowds have been top notch so far and very well behaved compared to other tournaments. Disappointing end to a decent game.

Yeah usually Blackpool has very nice crowds who are there to enjoy their darts. Tbf to Pipe he never seems to get fazed. For some reason I really like the guy I don't know why ha

Yeah usually Blackpool has very nice crowds who are there to enjoy their darts. Tbf to Pipe he never seems to get fazed. For some reason I really like the guy I don't know why ha

Maybe it's his dancing.....
    He is just so slow, if he picked up the pace a little lets say around taylors pace which isn't a huge difference it wouldn't be so hard to watch him, but hey as it was said when he taking out 132 bull, bull, 32.. thats almost as good as it gets.

Gotya wrote: »
    Maybe it's his dancing.....
    He is just so slow, if he picked up the pace a little lets say around taylors pace which isn't a huge difference it wouldn't be so hard to watch him, but hey as it was said when he taking out 132 bull, bull, 32.. thats almost as good as it gets.

Yeah he's terrible to watch indeed. But just like him and like seeing him do well haha. Deano baxter should be good game tonight!

• Advertisement

Yeah he's terrible to watch indeed. But just like him and like seeing him do well haha. Deano baxter should be good game tonight!

Yeah should be, i'd fancy deano, hard to call tho..

Who's the brunette they keep showing. whites daughter?

Advertisement