Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 swedes movin to dublin. advice?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

my friend and I are moving to Dublin in AUgust. we already have work, its more west of dublin. though we prioritize to live close to the "nightlife" and citylife, than to live close to work. We want to rent a place close to temple bar for example but not necessary. we dont even now about the good places yet. . we were thhinking about maybe renting somewhere in dublin 8. any ideas of where to not to live and where there are good nice cozy areas? not necessary to be in dublin 8.

we dont have all the money in the world but we were thinking a fresh place for 1000 monthly :)

i am thankful for all advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Try and find somewhere near the Luas tracks. Public transport isn't great here but the luas (tram) is reliable.
    Temple bar is more of a touristy place to go. It can be good in small doses but I don't think you'd enjoy it regularly, maybe you would though who knows.
    There's endless amounts of places to go and places go in and out of fashion so to speak. Just be weary of Copper Face Jacks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 koettbulle

Try and find somewhere near the Luas tracks. Public transport isn't great here but the luas (tram) is reliable.
    Temple bar is more of a touristy place to go. It can be good in small doses but I don't think you'd enjoy it regularly, maybe you would though who knows.
    There's endless amounts of places to go and places go in and out of fashion so to speak. Just be weary of Copper Face Jacks ;)

okay good :D nice advice! well i dont really know, here in stockholm uusually go to the same places, heard though that e pubs and so are uncountable in dublin xD and here also there are places where you want to live, and suburbs that are really awful which tou cant be at night in - its impossible to know when movin to a new country like thAt :D

koettbulle wrote: »
    okay good :D nice advice! well i dont really know, here in stockholm uusually go to the same places, heard though that e pubs and so are uncountable in dublin xD and here also there are places where you want to live, and suburbs that are really awful which tou cant be at night in - its impossible to know when movin to a new country like thAt :D
    btw we were thinking about ranelagh? is that a nice place?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭simo28

whereabouts in west Dublin will you be working? If you don't mind me asking that is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

post the same thread in after hours and sit back and read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

ranelagh is a lovely spot,on the luas line and is within walking distance of the city centre.

You didnt say were in west dublin you are working but if its blanchardstown direction you can get a bus to there with just a ten minute walk from ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Ranelagh is a great spot - I live there myself. But you said you will be working West Dublin ?

Give us a closer location where you will be working ??

simo28 wrote: »
    whereabouts in west Dublin will you be working? If you don't mind me asking that is
    ranelagh is a lovely spot,on the luas line and is within walking distance of the city centre.

You didnt say were in west dublin you are working but if its blanchardstown direction you can get a bus to there with just a ten minute walk from ranelagh
    Piliger wrote: »
    Ranelagh is a great spot - I live there myself. But you said you will be working West Dublin ?

Give us a closer location where you will be working ??

hi, thank you for all the answers.

I will work in Leixlip. Which is far away, but We are used to about 1-1.30h to work and school. we want to live closer to the inner city than work, but if you have any ideas about other places that is closer to leixlip and still close to inner city, with good bus and train -connections , that would be great. We are probably going to sign a 1 year contract for the rent- and as you understand we dont want to pick a place we are not happy about only 1 month after.

We are really looking forward to living in dublin and working there. the town seems interesting and we want to make the best of it. the area that we will be living is what matters most :)

it's a bit of a drive from ranelagh to leixlip but manageable and one thing to your advantage you'll be going against the flow of rush hr traffic going to/from work.

Again I'd highly recommend ranelagh as a place to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You can get a train from Connolly station to Leixlip which has 2 stations, one which is near the Intel factory so anywhere around the centre of Dublin could suit you.

• Advertisement

it's a bit of a drive from ranelagh to leixlip but manageable and one thing to your advantage you'll be going against the flow of rush hr traffic going to/from work.

Again I'd highly recommend ranelagh as a place to live!
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You can get a train from Connolly station to Leixlip which has 2 stations, one which is near the Intel factory so anywhere around the centre of Dublin could suit you.

okay. and ranelagh has nice bars/pubs around? not too many tourists?

Ok so from ranelagh i take the luas to connolly and then to leixlip? thats gr8:)

Ok so from ranelagh i take the luas to connolly and then to leixlip? thats gr8:)
    yeah there's a few good pubs loads and loads of good restaurants...no tourists.

You cant get the luas from ranelagh to connolly direct.You'd get off at st stephens green and then have maybe a ten minute walk to connoly station(depends on how short your legs are!:))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Bus into town and then train. Just make sure that public transport times are matching your shift times (Thats if you are on shifts and finishing outside the times of public transport ).

And Leixlip is in Kildare not in Dublin West :)

There are plenty of trains and buses into the city centre if you wanted to live along the dart line or out in Dublin 15 which if you lived in Clonsilla, Leixlip would be the next stop on the train. Its about 7 miles and a handy cycle along the canal if the weather is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

if you could stretch your budget slightly to say 1200 id move to IFSC (http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1223222)- it's 5 minutes walk to Connolly train station, on the luas line and also within walking distance to Temple Bar (15-20 minutes). to be honest as much as I like Ranelagh - it's a bit of a journey from Ranelagh to st stephen's then walk to Connolly (i'd say it's more of a 20 than 10 minutes) and then onto the train to Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

OK - reality check time. Ranelagh is nowhere near Leixlip and as a Swede coming over here (accustomed to first world public transport as you are) you’re in for a big surprise. Sorry but that’s the reality.

Presume your job (or commute) comes first, life second? If so ease your commute by picking a sensible location in which to live and work out your ‘city life’ after that. Ranelagh in this case may as well be Mars. The reality of that trip is 20 mins to city, 20 mins walk to connect and 30 mins train to be close to work in Leixlip, and that’s if you make all the connections. Utterly unnecessary in my view.

Google or Bing map Leixlip. It’s on the N4/M4 road but if driving consider local traffic when you get there, ultimately it’s no faster than taking a train. So for public transport look at Connolly or Pearse stations in Dublin travelling to Leixlip Louisa Bridge, closest station to Intel (if that’s where you’re heading). See http://www.irishrail.ie/media/DublinMaynooth111.pdf for an idea of timetables.

You don’t want to live near either Connolly or Pearse I’d expect, but anywhere walking 10 minutes or so could be ok. Look at IFSC area behind Connolly for a start. Also look at Drumcondra, it’s the other side of city and a bit further out but a better bet than Ranelagh for daily travel to Leixlip. It’s on the train line for a start (and far nearer airport for a quick trip home).

Otherwise give up on Dublin and look at Leixlip or Maynooth with trips into town (Dublin) when you need to get away for a far better quality of life.

uli84 wrote: »
    if you could stretch your budget slightly to say 1200 id move to IFSC (http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1223222)- it's 5 minutes walk to Connolly train station

The IFSC is the only good thing going for that area tbh,a 5 minute walk to connolly wouldnt be much of a plus either(and I lived on buckingham street for years so know it well enough)lots of junkies etc...

and like I said the walk time to connolly depends on whether you have short legs or not:pac:

TJJP wrote: »
    OK - reality check time. Ranelagh is nowhere near Leixlip and as a Swede coming over here (accustomed to first world public transport as you are) you’re in for a big surprise. Sorry but that’s the reality.

Presume your job (or commute) comes first, life second? If so ease your commute by picking a sensible location in which to live and work out your ‘city life’ after that. Ranelagh in this case may as well be Mars. The reality of that trip is 20 mins to city, 20 mins walk to connect and 30 mins train to be close to work in Leixlip, and that’s if you make all the connections. Utterly unnecessary in

You don’t want to live near either Connolly or Pearse I’d expect, but anywhere walking 10 minutes or so could be ok. Look at IFSC area behind Connolly for a start. Also look at Drumcondra, it’s the other side of city and a bit further out but a better bet than Ranelagh for daily travel to Leixlip. It’s on the train line for a start (and far nearer airport for a quick trip home).

thank you. yes now this is excactly why i needed to post in this forum. The trip from ranelagh-leixlip seems a lot of complicated...

that drumcondra seems interesting. gonna look it up.

about that me being a swede and all, haha, if i didnt missunderstood i think you ment that the town stockholm is small and the train and buses are easy to take? no worries i am used to being in london, i guess this is similar to that?

actually we prioritize life not work, but its almost 50/50. :D
    The IFSC is the only good thing going for that area tbh,a 5 minute walk to connolly wouldnt be much of a plus either(and I lived on buckingham street for years so know it well enough)lots of junkies etc...

and like I said the walk time to connolly depends on whether you have short legs or not:pac:

yes IFCS seems nice but if the area surrounding that area is bad then we wuldnt want to live there. and we rlly domt want junkies hanging around every corner when we walk at night!

what about kilmainham?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If you want to live in the city, you could look at Grand Canal Dock. It's about a 10 minute walk from Pearse Station which has a Commuter train service to leixlip.

Grand Canal Dock is a brilliant area, really modern, but rent will be a little more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

if you are working in leixlip. I also recommend living near the train line, think drumcondra would be close enough to town for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check out www.daft.ie, pretty much the best site for finding houses in Ireland.

D wrote: »
    if you are working in leixlip. I also recommend living near the train line, think drumcondra would be close enough to town for you.
    Drumcondra and phibsborough speems Nice . Which one shuld i prefere? How much more boring is it compared to ranelagh?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

"2 swedes movin to dublin. advice?"

Just wondering are you two women!? :pac:

nbar12 wrote: »
    "2 swedes movin to dublin. advice?"

Just wondering are you two women!? :pac:
    Not rlly relevant xD But yes we are 2 lesbians!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Not rlly relevant xD But yes we are 2 lesbians!!

Swedish lesbians :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi. I agree with others that you want to be near the train station because it will really make you life easier.

I think Drumcondra is a good option because you are close to the city centre for night life and also Connolly train station - which you need to get to work.

Also, that area has good transport links - Dart, Luas red line, and lots of bus routes. Get some bicycles and you'll be able to move around the city centre very easily.

That area of Dublin is a little bit rougher but it's not that bad as long as you are smart.

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Hi. I agree with others that you want to be near the train station because it will really make you life easier.

I think Drumcondra is a good option because you are close to the city centre for night life and also Connolly train station - which you need to get to work.

Also, that area has good transport links - Dart, Luas red line, and lots of bus routes. Get some bicycles and you'll be able to move around the city centre very easily.

That area of Dublin is a little bit rougher but it's not that bad as long as you are smart.
    :) bycycle we Will buy then:D How is it rougher? And do u know anything about phibsborough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

South Circular Road/Rialto maybe?

I loved living in Phibsborough (not rough at all) but it doesn't strike me as being amenable to Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

what about kilmainham?

I've never had bother in the area. Closest Luas is James St which will take you right next to Connolly station (15-20 mins). Bus routes right onto O'Connell Street which pass by Temple Bar. Thomas St/Meath St would provide for your food shopping needs.

• Advertisement

Onixx wrote: »
    South Circular Road/Rialto maybe?

I loved living in Phibsborough (not rough at all) but it doesn't strike me as being amenable to Leixlip.
    is is more amenable with drumcondra? Looked up s circular road. Seems Nice. How is the culture in that area? Does it have good train/ bus connections?

Advertisement