Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting potted laurel

Options
  • 20-07-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

I have previously planted bare root laurel hedging at front of site which is thriving. There is one area at the back that I want to plant some in as well. One area of it can be wet ESP in winter so bare root is not an option. With a bit of good weather on horizon I'm hopeful of doing it soon.
    My question is this - the area in planting in will be a 20 foot strip at right angle to a 24 foot strip.
    Should i dig an individual hole for each as I had done with the barefoot. Or dig 2 trenches as the potted plants are more likely to stay upright when backfilling trench ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

I recently planted potted Laurel hedge,What I have done is spray the area where the Laurel was to be sown beside fence with Roundup to kill of the grass and weeds.Left it a while then cleared the dead grass off and dug holes for each potted laurel,making sure the hole was double/triple the size of the pot,mix in some well rotted compost with the soil to give the roots a chance to get established.Apply blood /fish and bone around each plant if needed.Then cut weed membrane around each plant and top wil bark mulch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The average is 3 plants per meter.

I suppose how energetic and handy you feel it will be to dig 2 long trenches.

Id just dig a hole bigger than each pot,and then mix in some fresh compost/manure mixture and some fertilizer pellets,slow release food granules or blood fish and bonemeal.

Dont forget to add in some horticultural grit too (drainage).;)

PS-Check the roots of each plant 1st and make sure they are in good condition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Also,dont forget to water the soil right out away from the plants aswell.
    Some people,tend to only water the plant,but neglect the soil around the plant.

So give the soil a good watering too.

This will encourage the roots to spread out and seek new soil/moisture too.

Advertisement