Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an entrance scholarship for medicine?

• 20-07-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

My parents just about miss the requirements for me to get a grant, however they also have several other children in university to support and medicine itself is a very expensive course, so I'm slightly worried that they're going to struggle with having to support yet another college student. I'm really just looking for something that could help out with book costs to lessen the impact on them.

It doesn't seem feasible that med students would be able to get scholarships since everyone who gets into the course will have a great degree of academic achievement anyway. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to get one if, for example, my combined lc/hpat score was much higher than the minimum requirement (eg. 760s or higher). I was trying to find info online but google isn't really throwing up anything.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Darksider wrote: »
    My parents just about miss the requirements for me to get a grant, however they also have several other children in university to support and medicine itself is a very expensive course, so I'm slightly worried that they're going to struggle with having to support yet another college student. I'm really just looking for something that could help out with book costs to lessen the impact on them.

It doesn't seem feasible that med students would be able to get scholarships since everyone who gets into the course will have a great degree of academic achievement anyway. I'm just wondering if it would be possible to get one if, for example, my combined lc/hpat score was much higher than the minimum requirement (eg. 760s or higher). I was trying to find info online but google isn't really throwing up anything.

Cheers!

NUIG is the only college I know of that givesMed scholarships. 10 Med students with the highest combined LC Hpat who applied for NUIG Medicine receive an entrance scholarship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

http://www.nuigalway.ie/admissions/documents/2012_excellence_scholarship.pdf

This summarises NUIG Excellence scholarships and the medicine ones are on Pg2 under Medicine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

NUIG give an scholarship of €2,000 to the top 10 combined HPAT + Leaving Cert. I'm not sure of the most recent points, but in 2009 the lowest points for it were around 748, and there has been a general points rise since then. Info here.

UCD give an entrance scholarship of €1,270 to the top 10% of medicine applicants according to this.

UCC give an entrance scholarship of €2,000 to medical students, for those who got 600, and the top 5 combined LC/HPAT. Info here.

Trinity give a book prize of €300 for anyone over 560. Medicine isn't mentioned separately so I'm not sure what happens there. Info here.

Other scholarships aside from entrance scholarships are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys. Kind of torn now on how I feel now. Have trinity down as no. 1 so even if I get enough for the nuig scholarship it means i'll definitely be going to trinity. Thanks again for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

Aside from just medicine, UCD give Ad Astra scholarships to anyone with 600 points (not sure if it includes the extra 25 maths points because I don't think the info has been updated since last year), so even regardless of the fact that it's medicine there's a chance for your fees to be halved

• Advertisement
Advertisement