Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we a laughing stock.?

• 20-07-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭

With our spudlike faces and our reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take us seriously.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Of course not, are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dontron

look on the bright side at least there are other countries we can look down on

im looking at you ethiopia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

laziness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

kneemos wrote: »
    With our spudlike faces and our reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take us seriously.?
    Speak for yarself there. :p
    Only if they're thick enough to view us as only the above - in which case they're hardly worth worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

speak for yourself, im very handsome il have you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

we've had to drink and fight really hard for that reputation dam it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

No were not. People have a good impression of us anywhere I've went. Went to the doctor today and the doctor says, "You're from Ireland! I love Ireland!" with a big smile on her face. This would happen every other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Japanese are xenophobic dolphin haters. Koreans eat dogs. English are hooligans and horrible on holiday. Americans don't grasp irony and they're stupidly forward. Romanians are thieves. French are stuck up. Ze Germans are efficient but humourless. So it goes.
    We have a good reputation and we're welcomed most places we go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Steorn and over-unity orbo energy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

spudlike? sexy spuds round these parts..

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    Ze Germans are efficient but humourless.

And Nazi's too, don't forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

juan.kerr wrote: »
    laziness?

Yes as is evident from your one word response.

Yes as is evident from your one word response.

indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Japanese are xenophobic dolphin haters. Koreans eat dogs. English are hooligans and horrible on holiday. Americans don't grasp irony and they're stupidly forward. Romanians are thieves. French are stuck up. Ze Germans are efficient but humourless. So it goes.
    We are welcomed for our tolerant non judgmental ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It's not like we have people on the most beautiful list, top selling musician, great writers, artist and scientist of massive importance.

But then again we do and for such a small country that is impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Apart from Bondi

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It's not like we have people on the most beautiful list, top selling musician, great writers, artist and scientist of massive importance.

Are Jedward scientists now too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

The women love the accent.

What more do you want in life?

Dontron wrote: »
    look on the bright side at least there are other countries we can look down on

im looking at you ethiopia...

Yeah, with its rich cultural history, poets and musicians and stunning landscapes and legacy of famine!

If only we had something in common... :P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We're just one big group of ignorant gombeen headed, twinkly eyed, stout drinking, potato munching leprechanic pixies.

Did I miss anything? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

freckle stock, redhead stock, stockier stock, resilient stock, not the one you suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The foreign women love Irish men, so we can't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

I think a conclusion like that is a little difficult to qualify, considering the problems you listed aren't specifically Irish problems; if you want to see bad drinking cultures, go over to America, France, Australia or South Africa, if anything, they're worse than us. Ugliness isn't exactly a national trait, no matter what country you visit, the occupants will say the grass is greener on the other side. You can bring up our limited island gene pool, but really? Even then we're splitting hairs. Every nation thinks other countries' girls are more attractive than theirs.

What's more, contrary to the impression one would get from Irish masochism, Ireland has quite a good reputation internationally, which is one of the reasons our tourism trade is so strong. Americans consider it a badge of pride to be partially Irish, our fans were considered to be best at the European Championships (no racist violence, so it could be a lot worse), and it generally helps that Ireland has a history of neutrality and Irish soldiers only being used for peacekeeping missions that keeps us out of the political dogfighting that leads to countries like Britain and America being hated in the Middle East (and elsewhere).

The point is that people from other countries don't spend their days reading the Irish papers and going, "Tut tut, them Irish, they're not mature and responsible like we are!" They're generally busy focusing on their own problems, which every country has. People who have never lived in Ireland only go by Ireland's international reputation, which is to all intents and purposes in pretty good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No, just you, OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I have no prouder boast than being able to say I'm Irish.

We may not be prefect, but at least we know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Best Fans In The World though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I don't judge people by nationality, we are human regardless of where our origins are.

Like I say I'm born in England, moved here when I was 14 (now coming 26), but consider here to be my home, infact I don't even consider myself to be English. If some people want to judge me because of my accent then thats there problem there's honestly nothing I can do about it. I can live here for the rest of my life but to some I always be judged because of my English accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I actually don't get this idea that foreigners look down on us....have none of yous been abroad at all? People really like us generally. Not saying it's necessarily justified but the attitude is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Lisandro wrote: »
    I think a conclusion like that is a little difficult to qualify, considering the problems you listed aren't specifically Irish problems; if you want to see bad drinking cultures, go over to America, France, Australia or South Africa, if anything, they're worse than us. Ugliness isn't exactly a national trait, no matter what country you visit, the occupants will say the grass is greener on the other side. You can bring up our limited island gene pool, but really? Even then we're splitting hairs. Every nation thinks other countries' girls are more attractive than theirs.

What's more, contrary to the impression one would get from Irish masochism, Ireland has quite a good reputation internationally, which is one of the reasons our tourism trade is so strong. Americans consider it a badge of pride to be partially Irish, our fans were considered to be best at the European Championships (no racist violence, so it could be a lot worse), and it generally helps that Ireland has a history of neutrality and Irish soldiers only being used for peacekeeping missions that keeps us out of the political dogfighting that leads to countries like Britain and America being hated in the Middle East (and elsewhere).

The point is that people from other countries don't spend their days reading the Irish papers and going, "Tut tut, them Irish, they're not mature and responsible like we are!" They're generally busy focusing on their own problems, which every country has. People who have never lived in Ireland only go by Ireland's international reputation, which is to all intents and purposes in pretty good shape.

wha?

• Advertisement

If the foreigners look down on us why are there so many of the living here? To take advantage of us or something?

I don't judge people by nationality, we are human regardless of where our origins are.

Like I say I'm born in England, moved here when I was 14 (now coming 26), but consider here to be my home, infact I don't even consider myself to be English. If some people want to judge me because of my accent then thats there problem there's honestly nothing I can do about it. I can live here for the rest of my life but to some I always be judged because of my English accent.

If you feel it's home, then it's home. People who judge on accent or skin colour etc are pretty shallow and not worth the bother...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i think were reckeless drivers.. definately

If the foreigners look down on us why are there so many of the living here? To take advantage of us or something?

I used to love it so much when a "foreigner" took advantage of me, I ended up marrying one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The anti-Irish Irish strike again.

Are the Polish a laughing stock.?

With their spudlike faces and their reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take them seriously.?

would not be allowed. Not that I think that AH should be moderated over much, but lets give the OP a kick in his trollish arse.

KICK

i think were reckeless drivers.. definately

Visit Sicily or Taiwan and you'll see us in a different light :D

In many cases (in any of these countries) it tends to be male 17- twenty somethings that are the worst culprits.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    I used to love it so much when a "foreigner" took advantage of me, I ended up marrying one :D

Oh you poor thing! Did you inform the gardaí?

If you feel it's home, then it's home. People who judge on accent or skin colour etc are pretty shallow and not worth the bother...

I love wemons with shallow skin.

With their spudlike faces and their reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take them seriously.?

would not be allowed. Not that I think that AH should be moderated over much, but lets give the OP a kick in his trollish arse.

KICK

FWIW, I think it's satire and the OP is sending up stereotypes and those who use stereotypes?

Hope I'm correct in this assumption :D

She must have been very smart to have tricked you into it. Smarter than us simple Irish folks anyway.

KICK

Ouch

• Advertisement

Oh you poor thing! Did you inform the gardaí?

No, I informed her parents of my intentions :D

Actually, not strictly true, had to wait a bit before we got married...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If we start using both a full stop and question mark at the one time we might be.

She must have been very smart to have tricked you into it. Smarter than us simple Irish folks anyway.

She didn't trick me into it, we got married after living together for 12 years.

But you're correct, she's very smart indeed. :D

No, I informed her parents of my intentions :D

Actually, not strictly true, had to wait a bit before we got married...

Where's she from?

It's not so I can avoid her people so I don't need to wait for marriage to (dubliner here) "ride the poxy hole offa her".

Where's she from?

It's not so I can avoid her people so I don't need to wait for marriage to (dubliner here) "ride the poxy hole offa her".

Hmm, getting a bit personal so I shall bid you a farewell for now.

Peace out, y'all :)

Hmm, getting a bit personal so I shall bid you a farewell for now.

Peace out, y'all :)

It was a joke :o

She didn't trick me into it, we got married after living together for 12 years.

But you're correct, she's very smart indeed. :D

Pictures please (The good ones)

It was a joke :o

ill visit you in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its the self loathing thats the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

stoneill wrote: »
    wha?

I don't really know how to respond to that post. However, "stoneill wha?" is an anagram of "waste on hill?" to which I say, yes, people do litter up in the Dublin Mountains. If this wasn't your question, I'm afraid I cannot help you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement