Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we a laughing stock.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

ill visit you in jail.

Don't worry, I'll be sure to post an abusive message in the prision forum for you! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Why is this still open? Are there any mods?

NinjaK wrote: »

None of the AH mods are Irish. They're all Polish people laughing at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you can't be critical of yourself it's a dangerous thing I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

AAHHHH Jasus will ya let us have the crack, its Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

To quote our own Barry O'Bama for a small country we "Punch above our weight".

We'll overlook the fact that he has said that about every other small country on the globe also.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

This is pathetic, learn to love yourselves and get some self-esteem guys.

I love myself regularly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've got some self-esteem guys lined up for later on, will report back on what transpires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

We're not brilliant either though - no country is. The Mauritius thing has really opened my eyes to the amount of hateful, slackjawed yokels in this country.

But yeh, no need for the silly inferiority complex.

Onixx wrote: »
    We're not brilliant either though - no country is. The Mauritius thing has really opened my eyes to the amount of hateful, slackjawed yokels in this country.

What thing was that? (genuinely curious, I've no clue what Mauritius thing you're on about)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Not to say were exceptional....I don't believe that but the perception abroad is good whether we deserve it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What thing was that? (genuinely curious, I've no clue what Mauritius thing you're on about)
    If you are on facebook, go to the Mauritius page. Idiots flocked there and posted crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

One thing Ive notices is we Irish have really bad teeth. Very few people I know have perfect straight, white teeth - Myself Included.

Compared to alot of foreigners who seem to have awesome teeth.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    If you are on facebook, go to the Mauritius page. Idiots flocked there and posted crap.

Not seeing it at all...
    PM a link please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I feel the self-loathing in this one is strong.

Pushtrak wrote: »

I actually don't think I can bear to look. Had a little look and couldn't take it...

Oh yeh I'm not trying to deny that - I'd say there's hostility towards Irish people at times because of the boozing and fighting carry-on (e.g. in Oz) but a high regard for the positives too.

The Mauritius thing is the aftermath of the murder of that young woman Michaela Harte McAreavey. There's a significant mob of Irish people on social media hatemongering against all of Mauritius. They're depressingly thick and dreadful.

Oh yeh I'm not trying to deny that - I'd say there's hostility towards Irish people at times because of the boozing and fighting carry-on (e.g. in Oz) but a high regard for the positives too.

The Mauritius thing is the aftermath of the murder of that young woman Michaela Harte McAreavey. There's a significant mob of Irish people on social media hatemongering against all of Mauritius. They're depressingly thick and dreadful.

I see, thank you.

old hippy wrote: »
    I've got some self-esteem guys lined up for later on, will report back on what transpires.

Don't forget your good reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Us Irish are just like the majority of other countries on this planet, Good,Bad,ugly,etc etc No other country has a monopoly at being the better than anyone else,We all have faults. imho :-)

realies wrote: »
    Us Irish are just like the majority of other countries on this planet, Good,Bad,ugly,etc etc No other country has a monopoly at being the better than anyone else,We all have faults. imho :-)

Fact. Except the English (joke).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The English probably have a worse reputation abroad than the Irish.

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Well I believe the Irish are blind since she did state it was a joke.

Well I believe the Irish are blind since she did state it was a joke.

Yes I know its a joke, I'm just saying the English have a worse reputation abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

To be fair though the English a lot better behaved now abroad than they used to be, a lot of people still have images of things like heysel and football crowds in the 80s and 90s but a lot that stuff just isn't true anymore, and certainly the majority aren't like that, infact the majority were never like that to begin with, a lot of those stereotypes in recent years haven't been true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

kneemos wrote: »
    With our spudlike faces and our reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take us seriously.?

Luckily we are so drunk and violent they never say it to our spudlike faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You know what D4s think of culchies?
    That's what the rest of Europe think of the Irish.

biko wrote: »

But what about what the D1s think of the D4s?

Actually our politicians are probably a laughing stock, but thats understandable.

• Advertisement

Certainly Fifa were laughing at us after we requested a re-match after the handball incident. Fecking Sepp Blatter.

Luckily we are so drunk and violent they never say it to our spudlike faces.

My face has been compared to that of a turnip....with lettuce hair, tomatoes sliced in half for ears, two little raisins for eyes, carrot mouth and a french onion for a nose. :)

biko wrote: »

Pah, who cares what them Europeans think? I mean, what have they ever done for us?

Oh, hang on...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

were low down the bar internationally since the crash and brian cowens antics,some of irelands politicans are the best paid in the world,getting 100,000 + salaries,i think that is disgraceful and the cutting of health services was announced just today,and after the whole cutting of roscommon hospital where a girl near roscommon died bc of this its truly awful..

there are potholes in the roads where we live,the road markings on the road of which direction to drive,are gone,and two american tourists driving in their rented car went into oncoming traffic it could have caused a head on collision,how many people have died due to getting disorientated and there being no road markings and driving head on into another car going at speed?

These people are the reason there are so many badly off and injured and in bad health in ireland bc of cuts but they are not happy to cut their own salaries we should be demanding calls for cuts to thier handsome salaries and their on paid holidays?!?!?!this needs to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Yes I am, after what I posted in the thread "Where did you get your user name thread", Yes I am :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    My face has been compared to that of a turnip....with lettuce hair, tomatoes sliced in half for ears, two little raisins for eyes, carrot mouth and a french onion for a nose. :)

You must have great friends. I'm sure they meant it as a compliment. Somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

were low down the bar internationally since the crash and brian cowen's antics,some of ireland's politicians are the best paid in the world,getting 100,000 + salaries,i think that is disgraceful and the cutting of health services was announced just today,and after the whole cutting of roscommon hospital where a girl near roscommon died bc of this its truly awful..

there are potholes in the roads where we live,the road markings on the road of which direction to drive,are gone,and two american tourists driving in their rented car went into oncoming traffic it could have caused a head on collision,how many people have died due to getting disorientated and there being no road markings and driving head on into another car going at speed?

These people are the reason there are so many badly off and injured and in bad health in ireland bc of cuts but they are not happy to cut their own salaries we should be demanding calls for cuts to their handsome salaries and their on paid holidays?!?!?!this needs to stop.

:p Christmas2012 If any one outside of Ireland read any more of your crazy/funny posts :D We will sink even lower ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

were low down the bar internationally since the crash and brian cowens antics,some of irelands politicans are the best paid in the world,getting 100,000 + salaries,i think that is disgraceful and the cutting of health services was announced just today,and after the whole cutting of roscommon hospital where a girl near roscommon died bc of this its truly awful..

These people are the reason there are so many badly off and injured and in bad health in ireland bc of cuts but they are not happy to cut their own salaries we should be demanding calls for cuts to thier handsome salaries and their on paid holidays?!?!?!this needs to stop.

'..stop, joe'

Down with this sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i have made a valid point about the roads in ireland some of the country roads are unmarked and very dangerous for tourists and natives alike to navigate,replying with such quips as stop joe and saying im making ireland lower down the bar doesnt help the situation at all..it just belittles what i wrote,why not reply with something more useful than stop joe,how is it im going on like joe duffey,is it because i have a valid point to make about the state of irelands roads..

and what about that comment i made on the ministers being overpaid,are you disputing that with your 'stop joe' reply?

i have made a valid point about the roads in ireland some of the country roads are unmarked and very dangerous for tourists and natives alike to navigate,replying with such quips as stop joe and saying im making ireland lower down the bar doesnt help the situation at all..it just belittles what i wrote,why not reply with something more useful than stop joe,how is it im going on like joe duffey,is it because i have a valid point to make about the state of irelands roads..

and what about that comment i made on the ministers being overpaid,are you disputing that with your 'stop joe' reply?

Oh I wish it could be Christmas every daaaaay

It's moreso that you're not used to AH.

Everything (even the most valid of posts) get's torn apart as per AH style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Well ok Stop it, what is stopping you and your mates going out there and change things

Ask your local council if you can mark the road, if they say no ask them why? atleast you have complained to them.

Change things everyone of us has the power to do this, all we need to think is community wise right now, they Local Pollies love that and then basically tell them how they are lettting down their own community. That is what won us wars in the past.:)

People in Ireland, need to understand that their neighbours and community are looking out for them, (protecting their houses, making sure each and everyone is secure, and safe). This is community in Ireland, and we appeared to lose it during the "Celtic Tiger" we need to embrace it again : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Are you serious?

Are you cereal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The foreign women love Irish men, so we can't be too bad.

They do at first; have you seen the divorce rates from Irish men in eg Canada?

Graces7 wrote: »

Went out with one particular lady who said she was a bit iffy about Irish men as we were "always banging on about home and mother's cooking". She said she'd give me a try, though :D

Graces7 wrote: »

No but we're doing well with the Europeans, Aussies and Americans. :)

old hippy wrote: »
    Went out with one particular lady who said she was a bit iffy about Irish men as we were "always banging on about home and mother's cooking". She said she'd give me a try, though :D

Gracious of her

kneemos wrote: »
    Gracious of her

I think she was only half serious, tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement