Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we a laughing stock.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Well ok Stop it, what is stopping you and your mates going out there and change things

Ask your local council if you can mark the road, if they say no ask them why? atleast you have complained to them.

Change things everyone of us has the power to do this, all we need to think is community wise right now, they Local Pollies love that and then basically tell them how they are lettting down their own community. That is what won us wars in the past.:)

People in Ireland, need to understand that their neighbours and community are looking out for them, (protecting their <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">houses</a>, making sure each and everyone is secure, and safe). This is community in Ireland, and we appeared to lose it during the "Celtic Tiger" we need to embrace it again : )

Glad to see the Irish people, don't want to take this seriously, glad to see they are happy with being, screwed over again, glad they are happy with the idea it won't ever happen to them, well grow up take a look at your neighbours, it happening in your estates and you pretended it isn't is making you a fool, alot of people have watched their neighbours loose the homes, I can only ask one question here, what if you as a family were to lose your home, would you not like someone to step in, bank or neighbourwise.

Really this country has become as ignorant as hell, maybe we should go down the pan, because I would walk away from all of youse now, If my Mother didn't need to believed in a country that she build, It appears as if most of you are ungrateful gits, cause you don't even know how much your parents fought for you to be here, **** it we may at least have the honour of pulling the plug. Cause at least we fought, not once have you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Glad to see the Irish people, don't want to take this seriously, glad to see they are happy with being, screwed over again, glad they are happy with the idea it won't ever happen to them, well grow up take a look at your neighbours, it happening in your estates and you pretended it isn't is making you a fool, alot of people have watched their neighbours loose the homes, I can only ask one question here, what if you as a family were to lose your home, would you not like someone to step in, bank or neighbourwise.

Really this country has become as ignorant as hell, maybe we should go down the pan, because I would walk away from all of youse now, If my Mother didn't need to believed in a country that she build, It appears as if most of you are ungrateful gits, cause you don't even know how much your parents fought for you to be here, **** it we may at least have the honour of pulling the plug. Cause at least we fought, not once have you. :)

Steady, now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kneemos wrote: »
    With our spudlike faces and our reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take us seriously.?

Our? What's this 'our' bullshít? Please don't apply your obvious self-diagnosis to the rest of us, so take out the 'us' part and insert 'you'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No we are not

Was in town today, yes town and the place full of tourists and tour groups, all having a fine time in rare good weather
    Taking photos, doing historical tours and spending money

Great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Our? What's this 'our' bullshít? Please don't apply your obvious self-diagnosis to the rest of us, so take out the 'us' part and insert 'you'.

Our?Whats this "our"bull****?Please don't apply your obvious self-diagnosis to the rest of us, so take out the you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Don't really care if we are or not. When it really comes down to it, other countries can get ****ed.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Don't really care if we are or not. When it really comes down to it, other countries can get ****ed.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

old hippy wrote: »
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas every daaaaay
    Steady, now

This is an example of the low-level trolling we were referring to in a previous thread.

i have made a valid point about the roads in ireland some of the country roads are unmarked and <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">very</a> dangerous for tourists and natives alike to navigate,replying with such quips as stop joe and saying im making ireland lower down the bar doesnt help the situation at all..it just belittles what i wrote,why not reply with something more useful than stop joe,how is it im going on like joe duffey,is it because i have a valid point to make about the state of irelands roads..

and what about that comment i made on the ministers being overpaid,are you disputing that with your 'stop joe' reply?

Are you serious, I told you how to deal with the roads, as I said sort them out yourselve, tell the council you are and, sort them out, if it's that important, and then invoice them for the work. What am I saying that is unclear here, everyone seems to think they have no rights in their community, or neighbourhood, it's what Ireland was based apon, communities and neighbourhoods, the celtic tiger came along and people put more value on their house, over their community/neighbours. This is the people who well look after you

Well Live with it your house, your community and stop bitching about it, because some people thought they could upscale up to a better community, gob****es. at the end of the day

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    This is an example of the low-level trolling we were referring to in a previous thread.

Have you read the OP? Have you read christmas' output in general?

• Advertisement

Have you read the OP? Have you read christmas' output in general?

Yes I have, but its still trolling.

Yes I have, but its still trolling.

And blanket generalisations like the English abroad & all the foreign women love us isn't?

Come off it :D

And blanket generalisations like the English abroad & all the foreign women love us isn't?

Come off it :D

I think you need to look up the definition of trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Shryke wrote: »
    "...Romanians are thieves..."

To be fair the Romanians you consider thieves are not Romanians. Romanians can't stand that bunch as much as we can't. The people you're referring to are actually "Romani". It's not fair on Romanians really to refer to the Romani as Romanians. Romanians are actually just like us except that they're much better looking in most cases :D They're lovely people!

No I'm not Romanian and have no Romanian affiliations. :)

Ry wrote: »
    To be fair the Romanians you consider thieves are not Romanians. Romanians can't stand that bunch as much as we can't. The people you're referring to are actually "Romani". It's not fair on Romanians really to refer to the Romani as Romanians. Romanians are actually just like us except that they're much better looking in most cases :D They're lovely people!

No I'm not Romanian and have no Romanian affiliations. :)

Would actually agree I look like an Romani person and I do give them a hard time when asked, but I had a couple enjoying a moment because I never considered Romani to be Romanian, as most of us do, if you need the difference, I look like a creasy grispy (hippy) I loke no more Romanian than the man in the moon, but I do look gipsy, which is more mediterran, dark and again "hippy looking" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Are you serious?

Ehh...no :confused: Just taking the pee out of the potato comparison....I was drunk posting last night...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Are you serious, I told you how to deal with the roads, as I said sort them out yourselve, tell the council you are and, sort them out,

I have asked them several times and wrote several letter to them,and had no reply yet,they are happy to take the 100 euro charge but as we see they are not providing any service,ive only seen the council van once in about a year and a half..
    if it's that important, and then invoice them for the work. What am I saying that is unclear here, everyone seems to think they have no rights in their community, or neighbourhood, it's what Ireland was based apon, communities and neighbourhoods, the celtic tiger came along and people put more value on their house, over their community/neighbours.
    This is the people who well look after you

WHAT??I havent seen it yet,the roads are still fvcked up,there are lamps on the street smashed by teenagers and not working for ages now,there are huge gaps in some footpaths you could trip up over on,and huge gapes in some where water accumulates in floods on the roads which is dangerous..
    Well Live with it your house, your community and stop bitching about it, because some people thought they could upscale up to a better community, gob****es. at the end of the day

In the bolded statement i have to ask why are you making assumptions about me,saying im upscaling,and putting more value on my house than the community?im not here for you to take your built up anger out on me..

No but we're doing well with the Europeans, Aussies and Americans. :)

Irish women don't do so bad either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

The Irish stereotype isn't all bad.

Bad:
    Drinking, fighting, redfaced farmers, gambling

Good:
    Charming, friendly, gift of the gab, romantic (I mean the non-relationshipy type of romantic)

Then neither good or bad we have the red hair and freckles and that Irish mammies are amazing cooks and will feed you well.

I've never met anyone from another country that had a profoundly negative impression of the Irish. Personally, I'm proud of the culchie lilt in my accent, my inability to tan and my love of turnips.

• Advertisement

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Irish women don't do so bad either :)

I think Irish men and women need some of those east european genes,just to take the bad look of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I think Irish men and women need some of those east european genes,just to take the bad look of us.

Nah, not to make us more attractive, but to prevent inbreeding. Isn't the hugest island afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I think YOU are the laughing stock with a potato face and drunken demeanor, you! YOU! YOU!!!

guitarzero wrote: »
    I think YOU are the laughing stock with a potato face and drunken demeanor, you! YOU! YOU!!!

ME?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

ME?

YOU!!!

I look fine. Speak for yourself.

• Advertisement

In the bolded statement i have to ask why are you making assumptions about me,saying im upscaling,and putting more value on my <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">house</a> than the community?im not here for you to take your built up anger out on me..

I apologies for that statement, although it wasn't directed to you, it was a very general statement of fustration, it dose look like it was directed to you, and I am actually really sorry about that,again my apologies.

Now you want to get this road sorted, ok you have to convince the council that this is essential work, sending letters ain't going to do it.

Ok how many people use the road, eg spend an hour counting traffic at the busiest time of the day and multiply it by 24, that is how busy the road is : ), also how many people are dependent on that road, this is your neighbours, and anyone that may use this road to get from A to B, get as many statements you can from these people, then hand them (don't post them) to a local council member, and ask straight there and then why isn't anything being done about this road, and wait for an answer. (If you feel like it do it in a public place and get a friend to record it on their mobile)

Take name of councillor, and proceed to haunt him, with one call a week until problem is sorted.

It is the least you deserve :)

Also always be firm but polite, and don't upload the video, (the fact the Councillor, knows it was filmed, is enough)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Thanks for that advice i will video the areas that are badly done and upload them on youtube or somewhere public and write some blogs,just so people know..I havent heard anything back from them,the least i think of it is rude ,and ignorant at worst..

On average,i would say there is about (its the road that goes straight to an industrial estate on one side,and a shopping centre on the other side)i would say a couple of hundred cars pass there every day,its always busy anytime i pull out onto it..

I could call to a few neighbours to get my letter signed by them, and start a petition to get the road fixed,but in fairness these lazy hole should work on their own initiative and not rely on other people complaining to fix things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

My face has been compared to that of a turnip....with lettuce hair, tomatoes sliced in half for ears, two little raisins for eyes, carrot mouth and a french onion for a nose. :)

What part of Britain was the person who said that to you from?

Thanks for that advice i will <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">video</a> the areas that are badly done and upload them on youtube or somewhere public and write some blogs,just so people know..I havent heard anything back from them,the least i think of it is rude ,and ignorant at worst..

On average,i would say there is about (its the road that goes straight to an industrial estate on one side,and a <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">shopping</a> centre on the other side)i would say a couple of hundred cars pass there every day,its always busy anytime i pull out onto it..

I could call to a few neighbours to get my letter signed by them, and start a petition to get the road fixed,but in fairness these lazy hole should <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">work</a> on their own initiative and not rely on other people complaining to fix things..

I agree they should, but as we are well aware in this country they don't, and it is about time they where held accountable for their responibilities. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully it will be sorted soon. Always keep the pressure on, (firm but polite) and remember you are right, they have no excuse. : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Don't agree. It's very mild - have a look at the colostomy bag thread. And BlueSmoker just launched into an attack on the Irish population apropos nothing. What are you doing yourself, BlueSmoker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

With our spudlike faces and our reputation for drunkenness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take us seriously.?
    Seriously ? some countries wouldn't care less if we drank or fought our way into oblivion ...they have more serious thing's to worry about .

Onixx wrote: »
    Don't agree. It's very mild - have a look at the colostomy bag thread. And BlueSmoker just launched into an attack on the Irish population apropos nothing. What are you doing yourself, BlueSmoker?

You don't agree? what a surprise. :rolleyes: I guess we'll have to agree to disagree - or do you disagree to that?

Don't agree. It's <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">very</a> mild - have a look at the colostomy bag thread. And BlueSmoker just launched into an attack on the Irish population apropos nothing. What are you doing yourself, BlueSmoker?

I'm actually trying to take care of my mother, who has severe dementia and cancer, but seemily our govnerment seems to think she isn't ill enough for me to get Care's Allowance, (mind you I have being a full time Carer for the last 3 years, and it didn't seem to be a problem then, bizarre) So yep I'm a little bit annoyed, excuse me for that :)

I'll make sure to force myself to agree with stuff I don't agree with in future so.

Low-level trolling is a lot more venomous than the examples you pointed out, is all I'm saying.

That's beyond shyte, BlueSmoker - fair play to you. But it's not the general population's fault.

Low-level trolling is not venomous, that's why its called low-level trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

From living abroad and travelling a little the last few years I've noticed that whenever somebody figures out I'm from Ireland they immediately recount some incredibly random story that links them with the country. I'm generally with people of other nationalities when this happens and the same level of interest isn't directed towards them :P

For example I met a young lad in Linz a couple of months back, when he discovered I'm Irish he says "Oh, I love it there, spent a few months working on a farm in Knock last year, milking cows, it was great!" I don't think he was fully aware of the oddness of a teenage Austrian going to Knock (of all places) to milk cows. Nice bloke though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

People by and large don't give a **** about us, what with us being a meaningless island off the European continent. Threads like this are retarded.

Agreed except... how does a country be meaningful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Power and influence.

I'll make sure to force myself to agree with stuff I don't agree with in future so.

Low-level trolling is a lot more venomous than the examples you pointed out, is all I'm saying.

That's beyond shyte, BlueSmoker - fair play to you. But it's not the <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">general</a> population's fault.

I agree, and as I stated that was very much a general statement out of fustration, and I apologies now for anyone who was offended by it.

I still believe though we need to be together and use the communities we live in (boards.ie included) to change things, the best asset we have right now is each other. : )

Again my apologies for any offence I have caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Orizio wrote: »
    People by and large don't give a **** about us, what with us being a meaningless island off the European continent. Threads like this are retarded.
    That's exactly why people are generally friendly though - as a nation we haven't assassinated their presidents, robbed them of their natural resources, killed countless innocent civilians, etc etc. Our only inflictions upon the world are Riverdance and Chris de Burgh but a lot of them seem to like that type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Orizio wrote: »
    I think there has always been a bit of an obsession with some Irish as to the view and impressions foreigners have of Ireland and the Irish ,which is so 1960s .

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Irish people are ugly.

Real ugly.The amount of fatties here is a disgrace.

I know the east europeans are like a different species.Not to mention the Italians.Hubba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Irish people are ugly.

Hows life under the bridge Omar, eat any billygoats lately?

Attitude, brother. Attitude. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lolz81

With our spudlike faces and our reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take us seriously.?

You might be, but I for one am only bloody gorgeous and adored wherever I go!

Irish people are ugly.

And if we keep feeding the damn trolls, they get all fat up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ehh...no :confused: Just taking the pee out of the potato comparison....I was drunk posting last night...

Ah okay, stupid me. I was just imagining people from out foreign insulting an Irish person and it annoyed me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

No were not. People have a good impression of us anywhere I've went. Went to the doctor today and the doctor says, "You're from Ireland! I love Ireland!" with a big smile on her face. This would happen every other day.

Are you seriously ill or are you a hypocondriac? talking to your doctor every other day :)

Advertisement