Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we a laughing stock.?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ah okay, stupid me. I was just imagining people from out foreign insulting an Irish person and it annoyed me!

Why can't a foreigner insult an Irish person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

kneemos wrote: »

Because we're preciousssss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Shryke wrote: »
    Japanese are xenophobic dolphin haters. Koreans eat dogs. English are hooligans and horrible on holiday. Americans don't grasp irony and they're stupidly forward. Romanians are thieves. French are stuck up. Ze Germans are efficient but humourless. So it goes.
    We have a good reputation and we're welcomed most places we go.

Very Stereotypical post. How Ironic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fitzYOLO

Pretty much nobody takes us seriously but what does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Because we'll get drunk and kick the fuck out of them.

That's why.

Very Stereotypical post. How Ironic!

Yeah....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Irish people are spuds. Irish people are drunks. Irish people are....*drawing a blank*

*ducks for cover*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If you consider that the current Irish catchphrase sweeping social media sites is "AHHH LEAVE IT AOOUUUUUUUU.... LEAVE IH BLEEDIN' AOUU..." I'd have to venture a yes.
    Even our parliament is a laughing stock: this is the first video result on youtube for the phrase "Dail Eireann"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Anyway the potato is the greatest vegetable on Earth, I mean, we could have been called 'turnip heads' like the English and that's way worse.
    That's the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do you know for all our Gombeens and jaysus chancers, we've also produced more than our fair share of great minds who've contributed greatly to the literary world in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Ah okay, stupid me. I was just imagining people from out foreign insulting an Irish person and it annoyed me!

Nooo. Just the fact that a human head can be compared to a vegetable such as a potato and thought I'd do a bit of veg-human head comparing myself. Basically a ****e attempt at a joke. Joke fail if you will.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Do you know for all our Gombeens and jaysus chancers, we've also produced more than our fair share of great minds who've contributed greatly to the literary world in particular.

Irish literature was and still is amongst the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Nooo. Just the fact that a human head can be compared to a vegetable such as a potato and thought I'd do a bit of veg-human head comparing myself. Basically a ****e attempt at a joke. Joke fail if you will.

Like a man who walks into a bar and says..ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yep. A lot of great scientists too for such a small nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Low-level trolling is not venomous, that's why its called low-level trolling.
    I'd have thunk it's snide, passive-aggressive, ultimately malicious, often personal digs rather than jokey comments in response to a vent out of the blue and to a person who is such a troll they're now banned, but maybe it's subjective.
    Orizio wrote: »
    Power and influence.
    Influence in terms of what? For example, Irish literature is very influential.
    BlueSmoker wrote: »
    that was very much a general statement out of fustration, and I apologies now for anyone who was offended by it.
    Again my apologies for any offence I have caused.
    None taken, no need for apology. Just wondered was all. :)
    fitzYOLO wrote: »
    Pretty much nobody takes us seriously
    How do you know this? The "Ole ole shur Ireland's the best" brigade and the "We're inferior" brigade are as bad as each other. :p

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

When i look at the prominence of Sports on News websites i wonder what are we serious about .Why should other Nations take us seriously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

With our spudlike faces and our reputation for drunkiness,fighting and laziness do you think other countries really take us seriously.?

its called a stereotype. usually there is a bit of truth behind them....

Advertisement