Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollution in Clare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I was in Lahinch for a few days this week and the water was a lovely brown colour. The sea looked like a big dirty puddle of rainwater.

Did'nt stop me surfing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thats a sickener. E-coli is serious business, I'd be looking to go surfing elsewhere until they give the all-clear. I don't think the best conditions in the world would tempt me out into water thats polluted with human poo.

Brown water doesn't necessarily mean polluted water btw, thats pretty common after heavy rainfall. Often its just traces of soil/sediment.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Have you surfed in Lahinch in the past Cornbb?
    I hate to break it to you but you been surfing with poo.
    (was it world class outta curiosity?)

I havent surfed lahinch in years after getting pretty sick from it twice. Just too close to town for comfort.

Being honest, there's parts of this country that the water quality is truly terrifying but no one seems to worried. (Iv felt like I need a decontamination shower after one river mouth on the east coast...)
    Same as Lahinch, I havent surfed east cork in years. I can remember getting out one day and the lad I was surfing with started to throw up as we were walking up the beach. Another ended up having to get treatment for a infection on his leg that they traced back to some sort of toxic bacteria from dodgy water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I know Enniscrone has had a bad rep in the past and but have never heard too many bad things about Lahinch so this is a surprise.

If it comes between catching a wave and my health though, I prefer to choose the latter, its just not worth putting your health at risk like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

I think it's just the way it is along the coast with towns. There's been talk of bundoran, enniscrone and lahinch. Shame really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

safe to venture in over the next day or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

woah
    Have you surfed in Lahinch in the past Cornbb?
    I hate to break it to you but you been surfing with poo.
    (was it world class outta curiosity?)

I havent surfed lahinch in years after getting pretty sick from it twice. Just too close to town for comfort.

Being honest, there's parts of this country that the water quality is truly terrifying but no one seems to worried. (Iv felt like I need a decontamination shower after one river mouth on the east coast...)
    Same as Lahinch, I havent surfed east cork in years. I can remember getting out one day and the lad I was surfing with started to throw up as we were walking up the beach. Another ended up having to get treatment for a infection on his leg that they traced back to some sort of toxic bacteria from dodgy water.

does anyone know if mayo is ok louisburgh area?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Hi Liz

Yeah it's fine.:)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heard on the radio today that all the achill beaches have had their blue flags taken down due to e-coli.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Heard on the radio today that all the achill beaches have had their blue flags taken down due to e-coli.
    really?!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Ahhh crap as we had been looking at either Doolin or Achill next weekend for a surf/camping trip.. Here is hoping this clears off.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lizgal wrote: »
    really?!

Yeah, only caught it on the radio (MWR) there this evening, can't find anything online. Its temporary until the water get back to normal apparently. Lifeguards are still on duty though it said. I surfed Keel a few nights ago and I'm fine, not sure I would have done it if i'd known though!

Could very well be fine again by next weekend.

know anything about louisburgh?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

This stuff is a feature all year round. Its just the blue flags are there for the summer.

This stuff is a feature all year round. Its just the blue flags are there for the summer.

True, its probably like this everytime there's heavy rain I suppose.

Lizgal, I didn't here them mention louisburgh but I only caught the end of the report unfortunately. If I had to guess I can't imagine it being much different. If the blue flags aren't up then you'll know something is up.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    True, its probably like this everytime there's heavy rain I suppose.

Lizgal, I didn't here them mention louisburgh but I only caught the end of the report unfortunately. If I had to guess I can't imagine it being much different. If the blue flags aren't up then you'll know something is up.
    in lahinch they put a red flag up

A link on the county council site confirming the warnings for achill: http://www.mayococo.ie/en/News/GeneralNews/Index.aspx#d.en.19732

• Registered Users Posts: 12 No good names left

You can guarantee that any beach near a river, or with a storm drain or stream running into it, will have dire water quality after heavy rain, particularly after a dry period. It just so happened that the testing coincided with a period of heavy rain, and it flagged the decline in water quality.

The tests from the day the beaches were closed (Lahinch, Kilkee etc.) came back okay - there is a time lag of approx 5 days - and the beaches had been open as usual during the affected period.

i asked (epa)if i could be present when they were next testing (aug 13th it was i believe)they said they didnt know exact times etc and were quite dismissive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Fanore is a Cleaner beach than Lahinch,
    There was a huge swell there last night.

Your better off waiting untill the tide is half way out due to the rocks,there's no point in risking getting a barnacle shave.

The topography of the beach changes quite a lot...

Advertisement