Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookery for a Singleton

Options
  • 20-07-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As a single person I find it difficult to cook and maintain an interesting diet for myself. I tend to buy in a number of vegetables which I'm then forced to use over the subsequent number of days before they go off.

I live in a shared house so the ability to cook a number of meals and then freeze them is not really an option due to lack of freezer space.

I find that most of my veggie dishes tend to look the same - a type of vegetable stew! I'm stuck in a bad rut with my cookery and would like to expand and be more creative, yet healthy.

As I'm big into keeping fit, I was wondering if you guys could recommend to me a cookery book (preferably with nutritional info) for single meals and/or advice on how to reduce wasted food?

I'm trying to up the fat contents of my meals, but I've no idea how to go about this. My current plan is to make some veggie curry with coconut in it and take linseeds in brekkie and olives in my salad at lunch time.

However, my main problem is a lack of simple meal ideas for evening. As much as I enjoy cooking, I don't want to be making complex dishes that take an age to complete.

Sorry, this is just a ramble, but any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

coconut milk is >20% fat, so if you want to reduce the fat content of your meals you would be better making tomato-based curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

One of my recommendations is to make a meal plan for the week/two weeks/whatever time-frame, so you don't purchase too many vegetables that you then have to throw away. I used to freeze leftovers too, to eat at a later time or to bring into work for lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

However, my main problem is a lack of simple meal ideas for evening.

Caprese salad, french style omelettes, fusilli with simple (garlic, spring onions, tomatoes, basil, seasoning, a splash of wine) tomato sauce with mushrooms/artichoke hearts/whatever you fancy. All take no more than 15 mins to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

coconut milk is >20% fat, so if you want to reduce the fat content of your meals you would be better making tomato-based curries.

He's trying to increase it, not decrease it :)

OP, some ideas that do not take long to make:

Quinoa with any number of veg, beans, and small amount of pesto

Bean Burgers (lots of recipes of you google), take maybe 15/20 minutes to prepare the ingredients so make a batch when you have the time and it will keep in the fridge for 4 - 5 days. Take out enough for a patty or two and fry em, takes 2 minutes. I like a rocket salad and a few corn on the cobs to go with that. You could use butter on the corn on the cob to up your fat intake.

Also follow the 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread, there's an endless supply of ideas in there.

Advertisement