Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW TAILS PROTECTION ?

Options
  • 20-07-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all,
    Was hoping if someone could help, im replacing a single phase 12 kva connection and getting a new 3 phase connection. There are 4 seperate boards and 3 meters. If the new tails are more than 3 meters long do I have to protect them with a fuse and if so what type/rating of fuse and where do I locate(beside esb meter?) any help would be grately appreiciated .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The normal procedure would be to install a main distrubtion board. This would be a 3 pahse board that would be fed directly from your new 3 phase meter.
    This board would then have a switch fuse for each sub-distribuiton board.

Your existing boards would become sub-distribution boards. Each of the sub-distribution boards would have main isolator as opposed to a main MCB or switch fuse as their cable supply would be protected by the switch fuse in the main distribution board.

What is the load on each board at present?

the layout should be as follows

esb cutout
    main switch fuse
    hrc fuse cutout
    esb meter
    neoz switch fuse
    consumer unit

E&OE

2011 wrote: »
    The normal procedure would be to install a main distrubtion board. This would be a 3 pahse board that would be fed directly from your new 3 phase meter.

Your existing boards would become sub-distribution boards. Each of the sub-distribution boards would have main isolator as opposed to a main MCB or switch fuse as their cable supply would be protected by the switch fuse in the main distribution board.

i wonder is the op looking for a multi meter installation(apartments)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »

I am not sure.
    I took the OP to mean that 4 single phase distribution boards which are presently fed from 4 single phase meters are to be replaced by a one 3 phase meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sean107

2011 wrote: »

Hey thanks for the replys
    There are 4 boards fed from 3 single phase meters fed from one 12 kva supply
    There is now 4 apartments and the esb say we have to upsize our mic and install new 3 phase supply
    The idea of a main distribution board is good but to expensive and not required by regulation I think ?
    There are also 3 of the boards located within a meter of the supply so I don't think I need protection for the tails on them it's only the last board is upstairs so I think I need to protect these tails ?
    Any feed back is appreciated
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i'd say you'll need a panelboard with

3phase main isolating switch

esbn sealed cut-outs or fuse-units

single phase esbn meters

and 63amp SP 10KA mcbs for distribution to SP boards

there is a regulation on 3metre length for protecting tails ,but the mcbs will facilitate maintenance,alterations etc on the sub-boards anyhow

i think also your main bonding and earthing conductor connect here

there's a section in the rules on apartments and the esbn 'code of practice' contains the info on panelboards(or you can buy them assembled ready to go)

i don't know too much i'm afraid

sean107 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the replys
    There are 4 boards fed from 3 single phase meters fed from one 12 kva supply
    There is now 4 apartments and the esb say we have to upsize our mic and install new 3 phase supply
    The idea of a main distribution board is good but to expensive and not required by regulation I think ?
    There are also 3 of the boards located within a meter of the supply so I don't think I need protection for the tails on them it's only the last board is upstairs so I think I need to protect these tails ?
    Any feed back is appreciated
    Thanks

i would prefer to make them up myself also
    much cheaper too and look well if done right
    agree with m cebee when he says to protect tails to consumer unit(better job altogether)

be sure you have already confirmed meter positioning and key safe with esbn before you do to much work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the layout should be as follows

esb cutout
    main switch fuse
    hrc fuse cutout
    esb meter
    neoz switch fuse
    consumer unit

E&OE

esb cut-out

3 phase main isolating switch or switchfuse?

hrc fuse units

esb meters

63amp 10KA mcbs

is it isolating switch or switchfuse?

i fitted a board with 3 gd meters and 3 nsh meters and it came with isolating switch only?and the code of practice seems to show isolating switch

i would have thought it should be switchfuse?

M cebee wrote: »

3 phase main isolating switch or switchfuse?

i would have thought it should be switchfuse?

i would have always fitted switch fuse

page 37 seems to indicate it too

• Advertisement
Advertisement