Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about next doors dog?

• 20-07-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey guys, anyone that can give some good advice would be appreciated!

Next doors dog (a small Terrior) keeps barking at us and our dog anytime we go into our garden (It also used to be able to get in through a hole in the fence which we fixed), or just even open our back door. It is literally driving our dog mad, she more or less runs to the back door barking back the moment she can hear it yipping again.

Now this wouldn't be so bad but we have a baby in the house now that cries when it can either hear it yipping, or when our dog starts barking back at it. As far as resolutions go, they know about this, as we have told them. They laugh it off, and do nothing.

What should we do? Were not really in friendly terms with that neighbour, but I'd like it sorted. Could I get that dog to start being more friendly with us somehow? Completely undesireable, but could we get the dog warden to do something? I don't want their dog taken off them, as that isn't fair. But this really has to stop somehow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Do the two dogs get on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Edenane

Nope, once they see each other they both bark even more, but we do scold our dog when she does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The only resolution I can see is you get rid of your dog. You have no right to get rid of the neighbours' and there's no way to stop them barking, and it's upsetting your baby. Sorry.

mitosis wrote: »
    The only resolution I can see is you get rid of your dog. You have no right to get rid of the neighbours' and there's no way to stop them barking, and it's upsetting your baby. Sorry.
    I know what you mean, but that dog will be barking at us whether we get rid of our dog or not. So I'd rather advice on what I should do about their dog. If I can't do anything, so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Hi :) do you have a residents association in your area? if so you could ask them to approach your neighbour. I'm sure your neighbour's dog barking is driving other people around crazy too. Yes dog's bark, but its not acceptable to allow a dog to bark constantly.
    If you don't have a residents association to go to you could try the dog warden, maybe he/she could have a word with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SpyderCats wrote: »
    Hi :) do you have a residents association in your area? if so you could ask them to approach your neighbour. I'm sure your neighbour's dog barking is driving other people around crazy too. Yes dog's bark, but its not acceptable to allow a dog to bark constantly.
    If you don't have a residents association to go to you could try the dog warden, maybe he/she could have a word with them.

Dog warden sounds like a good idea as they do know there is an issue here. Different when they do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Why not just open up the gap again and let the neighbour's dog in to play with yours? A male rarely fights with a female and they may be just barking because they want to be together. They'll probably be quiet after they've played together for a while and the neighbour's dog will most likely stop barking at you as well once you have been close to it and patted it on the head/given it some treats a few times.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Why not just open up the gap again and let the neighbour's dog in to play with yours? A male rarely fights with a female and they may be just barking because they want to be together. They'll probably be quiet after they've played together for a while and the neighbour's dog will most likely stop barking at you as well once you have been close to it and patted it on the head/given it some treats a few times.:)

I think that it would be a great idea to introduce to dogs but not in the OP back garden, dogs are very territorial and an introduction like that could go very wrong :eek:. OP is there anyway you could approach your neighbour with they idea of going for walks with your dogs? I know personally that I've had a few disagreements with one or two of my neighbours over the years but after a week or two of ignoring them, it was all forgotten about :)

SpyderCats wrote: »
    Thats a good idea, we actually do have a residents association here!

Also, when the dog used to get into the garden my dog didn't mind, but their dog wouldn't stop barking. Or get close enough to pet it/give it a treat.

I actually would try and take the dogs for walks but the neighbours are a bit odd... Things like they won't answer the door when I call, or just getting a 'hello' from them can be oddly difficult too at times.

My sister also just told me that when it used to get into the garden it nipped at her ankles. That makes me a bit more worried about letting it into the garden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Nice as the neighbours dog here is, I wouldn't want it with free access into my garden. I've enough cleaning up to do after my own two!! Plus you'd have infection etc to consider.

Can the dog see through the fence? We had a similar problem when we had fences like this http://mnkyimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/panel_fence_curved_top_trellis.jpg because there is a tiny gap for them to see through between each length.

It's not so bad now that we've put solid wood along the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Well, you say these neighbours are a bit odd, and it sounds rather as though they don't give their dog enough exercise, or let it in to interact with them enough either. Both evidenced by it s spending so much time in the garden, barking at the neighbours.

The Residents' association sounds like a good way to go, and those might be salient points for them to raise as remedies for the dog disturbing the neighbourhood. Hopefully there is somebody in the neighbourhood with sufficient diplomacy skills that they might respect to get them to take these measures? That would clearly be ideal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sanecat640

from what i gather, the dog only barks when you wither go at your back door or go out into your back garden. that's pretty normal behavior for a dog. we had a problem where our own dog barked at a new neighbor who moved into the house next door anytime they came outside and what we did was buy packs of Schmackos (they are dog treats, you probably know them) and gave them to our neighbor and told her to bring the treats out with her everytime she came out the back and if the dogs happened to be outside too, to throw some over to them (our dogs were german shepherds, so asking an old lady to hand the treats to them would have been too much to ask). she did this everytime she came out, and even made extra trips just to fed them, and within a a week the dogs stopped barking at her and actually anticipated her visits to the back garden.
    this may be worth a go for you too. just bring out some dog treats everytime you go out and give them to your neighbors dog and before you know it he'll look forwards to you coming out.
    i think calling the dog warden is blowing it a bit out of proportion. it would be different if you had spoken to your neighbor about it, and if the dog was barking non stop day and night. but he is only barking at you when you come out to protect his turf.

sanecat640 wrote: »
    from what i gather, the dog only barks when you wither go at your back door or go out into your back garden. that's pretty normal behavior for a dog. we had a problem where our own dog barked at a new neighbor who moved into the house next door anytime they came outside and what we did was buy packs of Schmackos (they are dog treats, you probably know them) and gave them to our neighbor and told her to bring the treats out with her everytime she came out the back and if the dogs happened to be outside too, to throw some over to them (our dogs were german shepherds, so asking an old lady to hand the treats to them would have been too much to ask). she did this everytime she came out, and even made extra trips just to fed them, and within a a week the dogs stopped barking at her and actually anticipated her visits to the back garden.
    this may be worth a go for you too. just bring out some dog treats everytime you go out and give them to your neighbors dog and before you know it he'll look forwards to you coming out.
    i think calling the dog warden is blowing it a bit out of proportion. it would be different if you had spoken to your neighbor about it, and if the dog was barking non stop day and night. but he is only barking at you when you come out to protect his turf.
    I guess I could try that too. Thing is that it barks at anything - noise, people... Plus I know it gets into other peoples gardens and worries their dogs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sanecat640

oh, well if he still gets out of his own garden and is constantly barking then it is time to talk to your neighbor. if your neighbor is not the type you can talk to (because they have a history of becoming hostile or you simply don't feel comfortable doing it yourself) then you should definetly contact your local dog warden, who WILL visit the dog owner. (he will not only talk to the owner about the barking but also make sure that the little terrier is being looked after properly. being left out in the back garden all time with access to roam the neighborhood does not sound like he is being cared for properly and it puts not only the dog himself, but also cats, other dogs and children out playing at risk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Edenane wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone that can give some good advice would be appreciated!

Next doors dog (a small Terrior) keeps barking at us and our dog anytime we go into our garden (It also used to be able to get in through a hole in the fence which we fixed), or just even open our back door. It is literally driving our dog mad, she more or less runs to the back door barking back the moment she can hear it yipping again.

Now this wouldn't be so bad but we have a baby in the house now that cries when it can either hear it yipping, or when our dog starts barking back at it. As far as resolutions go, they know about this, as we have told them. They laugh it off, and do nothing.

What should we do? Were not really in friendly terms with that neighbour, but I'd like it sorted. Could I get that dog to start being more friendly with us somehow? Completely undesireable, but could we get the dog warden to do something? I don't want their dog taken off them, as that isn't fair. But this really has to stop somehow!

You cant ask a dog warden to call to your neighbours because their dog barks at you. Unless the dog is being neglected they wont care. Sounds like it could do with getting out for some exercise but thats not something dog wardens deal with.

Just because the neighbours dog barks does not mean that its ok for your dog to bark back. Take your dog into the garden on a lead (eventually off lead too) and stand by the fence until both dogs calm down and stop barking, then walk away. Repeat that a few times a day and they will eventually stop barking at each other. Even if it doesnt work with the neighbours dog, it will stop your own dog from disturbing your baby. I had a similar issue with a neighbours dog but once you can control your own dog, the issue resolves itself.

Advertisement