Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chances of a Commission in the British Army?

• 20-07-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

*Disclaimer - I do not want this to be dragged into an English/Irish debate or a Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland debate, Thank You! *

Hi All,

I am a 24 year old male looking to become become a soldier. I have a desire to become a soldier from what I know of the life.

I have been on a work placement for college the past year in a financial company, and am entering my last year of college this September. I will be JUST gone 25 when I graduate. I train in Martial Arts, football, and am relatively fit / healthy however I intend to get super fit this coming year. I also work in a bar in my spare time (weekends / some nights) to supplement my income as I live with my brother only and money can be tight.

I am interested in trying to gain a commission in the British Army and believe I would be a very good candidate, however I am under no illusions that it is a tough, hard life but one I am willing to endure.

What are the chances of an Irishman gaining a Commission to Sandhurst?

Thank you for all of your replies.

Kind regards,

Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There's a book called Callsign Hades about an Irishman who got a commission into the British Army, he gives a description about life in Sandhurst and his service in Afghanistan.It might give you an idea what life is like.

I've a friend from school who got a commission about 20 years ago,served for a long time in the MPs and still in the army.He was into his fitness particularly martial arts and had finished university before he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...What are the chances of an Irishman gaining a Commission to Sandhurst?...

no worse than anyone elses - however you have enter RMAS before your 26th birthday, the Application takes months and months, and the intakes for the next 2 years are fully booked.

by all means apply - people pull out all the time, people get injured - but be aware that time is not on your side. speak to an ACIO to get a up to date picture, but don't pin your hopes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Thank you for both of your replies.

OS119 - Again, thanks for your reply. I understand that time is not on my side unfortunately. All I can do is apply this month if possible. I have sent for an Officer's Information Pack and when I receive it this week coming I hope to immediately apply.

I don't hold out too much hope but one must always try!!

Any other information you could add would be graciously accepted.

As would any others :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Not the Army but RN and RAF Regiment recruit officers up to the age of 33.

Not exactly what you want but may be an alternative for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yup. Loads of luck, Some of our brightest and best have been Irishmen.

tac

• Advertisement

Thanks again for your replies folks.

I have one year of university left to get an Honours Bachelors Degree in Marketing.

I am ready for a fight (against endurance, my own limits, and doggedness), and believe I have something to give, while it will also be a great opportunity for me too.

I didn't think the RN or RAF commissioned Irish citizens who didn't reside in the UK? I could be wrong in that though.

I saw that I could commission in the Army up to 29 if I go to the Adjutants General Corps. Not infantry, but it could be a back door in??

Regards,

Hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

it depends what you want to do - and you'll only find out what floats your boat by getting on some Fam visits.

competition is severe, and you'll be up against people who are applying at the first opportunity, and who'll be able to demonstrate that they have a long standing interest in the job - Cadets, TA, UOTC etc... you're going to need a convincing reason why applying is something you've only thought about at this stage in your career.

the things you have on your side are your life experience and your maturity - you can show that this is a decision informed by having tried other things, and that you've got a bit more about you than a 20yo Pln Cdr trying to advise a 25yo L/Cpl about the break-up of his marriage.

you just need to get on some fam visits, decide what you like - and get some supporters - because you'll need them to be able to get into RMAS at this stage.

E2A: i really, really wouldn't suggest thinking about AGC as a way in - if what they do is what you really want to do, then fine - but the number of AGC officers who transfer into Combat/Combat Support Arms is, err... limited. to be blunt, no one is going to be interested in a 27yo Lt in the AGC - the competition will be 5 years younger than you, and probably with a tour under their belt. people your age will have two tours, a training job and will be Captains on their way to be being Coy Cdrs.

OS119 wrote: »
    the competition will be 5 years younger than you, and probably with a tour under their belt. people your age will have two tours, a training job and will be Captains on their way to be being Coy Cdrs.

In the case of an infantry officer, that might be two tours in A'stan, leading troops under fire. Nothing on a civilian CV can even begin to compete with that.

In the infantry, if are not a major by 32, you just ain't.

tac

Fair points gents.

I'm starting to think the odds are against me. However, I will battle on and talk to the Army Career Officer and see what he has to say.

Enlisting would be an option but I truly believe I am capable of being moulded into a very competent leader.

RAF interests me a little but we shall see. I would like to be a soldier.

Thanks again lads.

Hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Fair points gents.

I'm starting to think the odds are against me. However, I will battle on and talk to the Army Career Officer and see what he has to say.

Enlisting would be an option but I truly believe I am capable of being moulded into a very competent leader.

RAF interests me a little but we shall see. I would like to be a soldier.

Thanks again lads.

Hero

Good Luck....

http://www.google.ie/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=800&bih=485&tbm=isch&tbnid=lH21RXeqdmch9M:&imgrefurl=http://members.home.nl/iahhm/windsor_davies.htm&docid=S1dUrI6HzZRd6M&imgurl=http://members.home.nl/iahhm/images/4280.gif&w=321&h=241&ei=RNMJUKiOHce2hQedwZiICg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=374&vpy=146&dur=384&hovh=192&hovw=256&tx=170&ty=97&sig=101514873492788278823&page=1&tbnh=129&tbnw=168&start=0&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:76

• Advertisement

Joining the RAF is a whole different ballgame than the Army. The two forces are mutually supportive, but not exactly interchangeable. If you are not a flyer, then you support flying in some way - you will have to be an aircraft engineer with an appropriate degree. Or a scribbly/admin wallah. As you are native Southern Irish-born and do not have either residence or family that has residence, then the Intel branch is out for you, too. The RAF Regiment like people a lot younger than you are now, just like the BA infantry does, so your choices there are going to be very limited.

I applaud your intention, as I already noted, and wish you all the very best, but don't make it a firm plan in your head and you won't get too disappointed. As OS119 pointed out, we have 26-year old captains in the British Army - some with a LOT of 'real life' behind them - chomping at the bit for their crowns. To say that promotion is competitive does not do it justice. There are some guys out there, younger than you are now, whose competency in what matters - live rounds incoming and their management - are far better than anything you've ever read about in an Andy McNab tale.

You'd better be something REALLY special, and be able to prove it.

tac

Advertisement