Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you love about your AF or non drinkers life

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Well done KaG :D that's an amazing achievement!!! I'm delighted for you.. genuinely!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Having goals not bar stool aspirations. I said I'd lose weight & I would do a marathon 2 years ago when I gave up drinking and I'm as ready as I'll ever be for the Dublin city one on Monday.
    Completed in 4:18 :) , very proud day for me considering how far I've come. Thanks to all the support in here throughout

:) Absolutely we'll done Kag, you have indeed come very far and the person you need to congratulate is yourself,take a well deserved pat on the back:D:)

I love the fact that having a drink or two is no longer something that I would love to be able to do...

Alcohol no longer seems, to me, like something that adds anything of significance to anyone's life. Those who are not alcohol-dependent really don't love it all that much... and those of us who have really "loved" it are the ones who can't handle it, who get ourselves wrecked over,

Looking forward to another sober happy Christmas this year :)

I loved Christmas last year but I think I'll love it even more this year..

I don't know about others, but I always find myself reminiscing about Christmases gone before, so this year I have a sober Christmas to be nostalgic about.. does that make any sense??? This is now my normality :D

Roll on Santa :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jimmyRotator

xzanti wrote: »
    I loved Christmas last year but I think I'll love it even more this year..

I don't know about others, but I always find myself reminiscing about Christmases gone before, so this year I have a sober Christmas to be nostalgic about.. does that make any sense??? This is now my normality :D

Roll on Santa :D

Yeah makes sense, second sober christmas coming up for me too. Its nice to actually be present during the whole festive period.

A couple of years ago we were given our January monthly paycheck just before christmas, and I went on an almighty drink and coke binge for 6 straight days and blew my entire January's wages. It wasnt even new years yet and I was penniless, with another 5 weeks to go until being payed again. It was an extremely challenging hangover when that binge ended, a very dark depression took over me, and I vowed never to drink again. That was nearly 2 years ago now and still going strong :)

Roll on another sober christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Yeah makes sense, second sober christmas coming up for me too. Its nice to actually be present during the whole festive period.

A couple of years ago we were given our January monthly paycheck just before christmas, and I went on an almighty drink and coke binge for 6 straight days and blew my entire January's wages. It wasnt even new years yet and I was penniless, with another 5 weeks to go until being payed again. It was an extremely challenging hangover when that binge ended, a very dark depression took over me, and I vowed never to drink again. That was nearly 2 years ago now and still going strong :)

Roll on another sober christmas!

This will hopefully be my first sober xmas I dont know what to expect seen as xmas here revolves around drink its going to be tough!

beano345 wrote: »
    This will hopefully be my first sober xmas I dont know what to expect seen as xmas here revolves around drink its going to be tough!

The only thing I need to have a sober Christmas is the memory of where I was before I got sober, how miserable and out-of-control, and how much I lost due to drinking,

Here are a few tips that maybe of help,

Go to the party a little later than you normally would. When you are among the first to arrive, it is awkward...often you are standing there, exposed and vulnerable. So get there later than you normally would...when lots of folks are already there.

I like to take my own drink..usually caffeine free diet coke. I am my own bartender...not that I don't trust anybody else, but I don't trust anybody else...ehehehe

Don't go with an empty stomach! I know there'll be goodies there, but you will be much better satisfied if you go and are not starving when you get there.

Have your excuse ready to whip out...that hostess will chip away at your armour if you let a small crack of hesitation show. Let, NO THANKS...be the first words out of your mouth! Or 'I've got something over here'....Don't look like you are t'longing' for something, or someone will get it for you!

Here's my best tip....ACT DRUNK! Talk a little louder, laugh out loud!!! Have a good time!!! That's why you're there! You will be amazed at how much MORE fun you can have sober! AND you don't make a fool of yourself!

leave early. I used to be the last person to leave....no more. After a while my sleep becomes more important than listening to the same old jokes....

Visualise success and you will have it! Remember, HOPE is not a strategy! You will be just fine! Just protect your quit!!! Don't give it up no matter what and no matter who!!

Finally and As someone else wrote here, never underestimate the power of the drink. It will creep up on you, taking your focus off of drink & just enjoying the Christmas & new year makes it easy for me. Focus on the food, the company, the docorations even the gifts. Focus on anything but The drink.

Goodluck:D

realies wrote: »
    Visualise success and you will have it! Remember, HOPE is not a strategy! You will be just fine! Just protect your quit!!! Don't give it up no matter what and no matter who!!

Exactly.. Hope leaves room for 'maybe'.. If you are to give it up you need to have your mind set.. "I am a non drinker... I don't drink" simple as.

Protect your sobriety.. It is one of the greatest gifts you will ever give yourself.

Edit: scratch that.. it IS the best gift you will ever give yourself!

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Here's my best tip....ACT DRUNK! Talk a little louder, laugh out loud!!! Have a good time!!! That's why you're there! You will be amazed at how much MORE fun you can have sober! AND you don't make a fool of yourself!

Ha - I love this! I do it myself. After all, if everyone else is letting it all hang out, why not us? AND we get to do it hangover (and almost cash) free.

I also do the arriving late and leaving early bits. I am a member of a club too and so I always offer to do 'jobs' so I'm kept moving and busy, simply because I can get a little bored and restless.

I enjoy being really present with people. I try to really pay attention to who I'm talking to. Too often we just gloss over people, not really listening or looking at them, not seeing the real them. And it actually helps you relax to do this, it gets you out of your own head. And who knows, you might make a new friend. A real one!

Have a great silly season, everyone. And don't do anything you don't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

hubba wrote: »
    Ha - I love this! I do it myself. After all, if everyone else is letting it all hang out, why not us? AND we get to do it hangover (and almost cash) free.

I also do the arriving late and leaving early bits. I am a member of a club too and so I always offer to do 'jobs' so I'm kept moving and busy, simply because I can get a little bored and restless.

I enjoy being really present with people. I try to really pay attention to who I'm talking to. Too often we just gloss over people, not really listening or looking at them, not seeing the real them. And it actually helps you relax to do this, it gets you out of your own head. And who knows, you might make a new friend. A real one!

Have a great silly season, everyone. And don't do anything you don't want to do.

Some great advice guys. I've my Christmas party on Friday night. I was thinking about arriving a bit later and that might just work as I can go to a meeting beforehand to keep me on track.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Around a month ago, I had a massive night out, and was in bed (pretty much) for 3 days after. Since then, I've been like a tv flickering, trying to get a clear signal. This basically means I've cut down a lot in regard to quantity and how often. Giving up altogether would be great which I'm working on.

So in cutting down my intake, I've started learning languages Dutch, German and Italian, can't get enough of it. My mood is much better, i eat healthier and exercise more:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I had my conferring last night for a FAS course I did. The reception in the hotel led to a succession of bar hopping later. It was nice to see everybody but the appeal of being out with a crew of people intent on getting drunk faded as the night went on. I stuck it out until about 1130 and then went home. They were all heading for a late bar at that stage. What I love is having a clear head today after a good nights sleep. I wonder how all the rest of them were feeling this morning.

Wattle wrote: »
    I had my conferring last night for a FAS course I did. The reception in the hotel led to a succession of bar hopping later. It was nice to see everybody but the appeal of being out with a crew of people intent on getting drunk faded as the night went on. I stuck it out until about 1130 and then went home. They were all heading for a late bar at that stage. What I love is having a clear head today after a good nights sleep. I wonder how all the rest of them were feeling this morning.

Fair Play, some lads I know were doing the 12 pubs of chrimbo today, I was invited but (luckily) I'm working nightshift, they'll be in an absolute heap tomorrow...no way not worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

lufties wrote: »
    Fair Play, some lads I know were doing the 12 pubs of chrimbo today, I was invited but (luckily) I'm working nightshift, they'll be in an absolute heap tomorrow...no way not worth!

I think it's impossible to be on the same wavelength as drunk people when you're sober. I'm glad I don't have to do it every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I was never so glad to be alcohol free tonight. Was out with the wife at a friend's birthday party in temple bar. The streets were like something from the last days of Rome, it didn't even seem festive, there seemed to be a lot of aggression around. Anyway we had a lovely night after that. Caught up with some people I hadn't seen in ages, heard some great music and barely spent a tenner. Got to drive home clear headed and will wake up the same tomorrow before we hit the road to limerick for the munster match.
    Being alcohol free really adds so much to my life, it gives me the freedom and clarity to enjoy the best parts of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Bassfish wrote: »
    I was never so glad to be alcohol free tonight. Was out with the wife at a friend's birthday party in temple bar. The streets were like something from the last days of Rome, it didn't even seem festive, there seemed to be a lot of aggression around. Anyway we had a lovely night after that. Caught up with some people I hadn't seen in ages, heard some great music and barely spent a tenner. Got to drive home clear headed and will wake up the same tomorrow before we hit the road to limerick for the munster match.
    Being alcohol free really adds so much to my life, it gives me the freedom and clarity to enjoy the best parts of life.

Packing so much in is the beauty of it all and it doesn't leave you exhausted come Monday!

I can get so much done. Plus I can help others - this weekend so far:

- helped my sister with a college assignment
    - collected my brother from his Christmas party in town last night; and
    - dropped and collected my mother from a new job she has.

On top of this I've been to my own Christmas Party, Been to the gym, have been out for a run, met a friend for coffee, had dinner with family, got a haircut and done a small bit of shopping for myself. And it's still only 4:15 on Sun afternoon!!!!

Jaysus, when I write that down - I should maybe relax for a couple of hours:)

And you made me laugh, KeefF! Defo time for a Kitkat. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Packing so much in is the beauty of it all and it doesn't leave you exhausted come Monday!

I tell ya I'm pretty exhausted after this weekend but I'm glad to be tired from having great fun and creating nice memories. Not a single minute was spent hungover or drunk. No expensive taxis, no dirty take aways, no headaches, no regrets and no praying to the porcelain god Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

KeefF wrote: »
    I can get so much done. Plus I can help others - this weekend so far:

- helped my sister with a college assignment
    - collected my brother from his Christmas party in town last night; and
    - dropped and collected my mother from a new job she has.

On top of this I've been to my own Christmas Party, Been to the gym, have been out for a run, met a friend for coffee, had dinner with family, got a haircut and done a small bit of shopping for myself. And it's still only 4:15 on Sun afternoon!!!!

Jaysus, when I write that down - I should maybe relax for a couple of hours:)
    Bassfish wrote: »
    I tell ya I'm pretty exhausted after this weekend but I'm glad to be tired from having great fun and creating nice memories. Not a single minute was spent hungover or drunk. No expensive taxis, no dirty take aways, no headaches, no regrets and no praying to the porcelain god Sunday morning.

Well done people :D this is life.

Well done people :D this is life.

Great encouragement to be got here these days and great to see people getting on well.

Been able to see peoples point of view and not arguing for the sake of it

being productive, having a better diet, being happier and able to take on challenges with a clear head...All this and I haven't even fully kicked the booze:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Had a christmas party last night, went into town with friends afterwards for a while, then headed home to the family house and watched the boxing with my brother. Had a dirty curry and a bottle of seven up, but up early today to play with the kids and watch the football and maybe squeeze in some study. Life has never been better! :) Merry Christmas everyone.

I love feeling physically good - so VERY much better than the old drinking days. So many aches and pains are clearing up. I'm sure it has something to do with NOT poisoning myself everyday, and eating better and supplementing with good stuff and exercising. I LOVE feeling good! And I'm excited because I think it's going to keep getting better.:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Gyming followed by relaxation in steam room. Its amazing.

Also as I mentioned in another thread not blowing a load of money on nights out. Believe me if you drink a lot there is no end to the amount you will go through. Even with few slips in last few months I've loads of money to spare and to save.

All I'm hearing these days is 12 pubs this 12 pubs that. No chance - I'll be out buying few nice presents for gf and for parents and my little niece and nephew and treating myself to steam room and proper sleeps.

Heres to a wonderful 2014 everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

started doing p90x lately.

Feel fantastic.

Can't beat the exercise and that fresh feeling.

Went on a night out in town the other day and had a great night, the only complaint being the €2.80 for a diet coke! Nice to wake up the next day with nothing spent but change from a twenty! ;)

I love being able to chill out at the cinema with my nephews on New Years Eve. Then ring in the New Year with whole family enjoying the moment watching the kids (+ parents) dancing the New Year in without me wondering what party can I run off to etc.
    First Chrimbo and NYE sober - hope many more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

It's great to be useful :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

New Years Eve and I'm chilling at home with my wife drinking tea and reading John Moriarty. This is the life. Way better than being stuck in a pub with a load of people who have had too much drink. Also beats suffering a horrible existence the day after.

Happy New Year folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

New Years Eve and I'm chilling at home with my wife drinking tea and reading John Moriarty. This is the life. Way better than being stuck in a pub with a load of people who have had too much drink. Also beats suffering a horrible existence the day after.

Happy New Year folks.

[-0-] wrote: »

Happy New Year folks.
    I was working unfortunately, but man did I have a good sleep, feel great today,

Happy New Year!

I fell off the wagon last night and ended up on a big session, it can be hard to avoid here in hong kong with fellow expats. Feel awful today, depressed and homesick along with a dose of 'the guilts". Nobody's fault but my own.

I fell off the wagon last night and ended up on a big session, it can be hard to avoid here in hong kong with fellow expats. Feel awful today, depressed and homesick along with a dose of 'the guilts". Nobody's fault but my own.

Just need to dust yourself down and get back on again. I know it's easier said than done :(

Just need to dust yourself down and get back on again. I know it's easier said than done :(

cheers! yeah a good nights' sleep and I'll be grand. Its totally not worth the hangover though, and I'm 150 euro out of pocket.

cheers! yeah a good nights' sleep and I'll be grand. Its totally not worth the hangover though, and I'm 150 euro out of pocket.

Takes me a at least four nights sleep to be back to full health so I really dont want to have to go through this anymore

I love that it's early January and yes, I've put on a few pounds over the past few weeks but my stomach is fine (it used to really suffer when I over indulged), I have no mortifying memories, or worse still, gaps. I've made no enemies, my finances are in great shape, I look no better nor worse than I did in November and I'm raring to go in 2014 and excited to get started on a fresh New Year.

I got a little irritated in December with the amount of people asking why I wasn't drinking, like I was mad, even family members, but I bet they wouldn't question my great mood, health and finances this January.

Best wishes to you all for 2014, especially those of you in the early stages of your new and improved lives. Hang in there, its just so worth it.

January 2014, still alcohol free,still committed to staying that way and very happy in myself in doing so.

I love wakening up with the other half on Sunday morning and making her some breakfast for a change and then doing something productive for a few hours followed by a meeting in the evening and read the papers for the rest of the day.

Peace (and clarity) of mind is just priceless!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Waking up with a clear head and bringing the dog for a walk on the beach...instead of him walking me!

• Advertisement

Living my dream at the moment, no way would it be happening if I was drinking alcohol .

Passed my Driving Test today.. probably would have let that drag on for another few years if I was still in the trap :D

Happy days!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

xzanti wrote: »
    Passed my Driving Test today.. probably would have let that drag on for another few years if I was still in the trap :D

Happy days!!!! :D

Well done on passing your driving test Xzanti!! I can relate to the happy feeling this brings!i wouldn't have done it without knocking the booze on the head too!

well done again ya legend! :)

Thanks Souls :D and well done to you too.. it is indeed a fantastic feeling :D

Out very late last night watching World Cup game,well it's very late for me, Woke up this morning brand new, but just rang my friend and he is as sick as a parrot,don't know wether it's the wine or the result ha ha.

But it surely is great to wake up to sunshine and having a clear head, I am enjoying every bit of this new life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

Staying up till 1 to watch football. Into bed, straight asleep and then up at 9 to watch a recording of the 2am game with a clear head.

The AF life is truly a rewarding life :-)

Love, feeling it.

Being guided by it each day, being guided by my wife's ineffable pain and pleas in the dark days before I gave up on New Year's Day 2014. All her hope, positivity, purity and sheer love for me was overwhelming. It was the biggest prize of my life. I could not continue to destroy such beauty in a society I found difficult to interact with.

Being acutely conscious that not only my happiness but the happiness of another person depends on my ending my slavery to alcohol. Remembering the night 15 weeks ago when she walked down our stairs with something in her right hand. I looked up and her face was beaming. 'I'm pregnant', as she showed me the pregnancy test result. I held her and we danced alone together in silence interspersed with tears of joy on our living room floor. That moment of incredible love inspires me to become a better man. One of the many reasons why I had to give up alcohol was she badly wanted our first child, and my excessive drinking was making that biologically difficult.

Being touched deeply by simple acts of love and kindness when she could see I was fighting my demons at public events. Last weekend we were at a party where I didn't know anybody and I was there on my own in the sun, surrounded by people drinking my preferred summer choice of Bulmers and ice, for a couple of hours. When she finally came back I asked her why she left me there knowing how difficult I find it and that I would have been safer to stay at home. I would never have been as pathetically needy as that before, but I found that environment unspeakably hard. She apologised, smiled kindly and put her hand in mine so proud that I didn't give into temptation. I held it tightly. That simple act of love was all I needed. As harsh as it sounds, love would have been incidental in the days when everything was planned around alcohol. Now, I feel it and I need it. I don't know who this man is yet, but I think he's going to be a better one. I'm realising it is a profoundly civilising influence, and it alone is allowing me to break down all these walls I have created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bill Lee

That's probably the most beautiful thing I've ever read on Boards.

Love, feeling it.

Being guided by it each day, being guided by my wife's ineffable pain and pleas in the dark days before I gave up on New Year's Day 2014. All her hope, positivity, purity and sheer love for me was overwhelming. It was the biggest prize of my life. I could not continue to destroy such beauty in a society I found difficult to interact with.

Being acutely conscious that not only my happiness but the happiness of another person depends on my ending my slavery to alcohol. Remembering the night 15 weeks ago when she walked down our stairs with something in her right hand. I looked up and her face was beaming. 'I'm pregnant', as she showed me the pregnancy test result. I held her and we danced alone together in silence interspersed with tears of joy on our living room floor. That moment of incredible love inspires me to become a better man. One of the many reasons why I had to give up alcohol was she badly wanted our first child, and my excessive drinking was making that biologically difficult.

Being touched deeply by simple acts of love and kindness when she could see I was fighting my demons at public events. Last weekend we were at a party where I didn't know anybody and I was there on my own in the sun, surrounded by people drinking my preferred summer choice of Bulmers and ice, for a couple of hours. When she finally came back I asked her why she left me there knowing how difficult I find it and that I would have been safer to stay at home. I would never have been as pathetically needy as that before, but I found that environment unspeakably hard. She apologised, smiled kindly and put her hand in mine so proud that I didn't give into temptation. I held it tightly. That simple act of love was all I needed. As harsh as it sounds, love would have been incidental in the days when everything was planned around alcohol. Now, I feel it and I need it. I don't know who this man is yet, but I think he's going to be a better one. I'm realising it is a profoundly civilising influence, and it alone is allowing me to break down all these walls I have created.

Wow - inspiring stuff.
    Best of luck with everything.

• Advertisement

Peace of mind - very underrated!!

Advertisement