Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to worm cat

• 20-07-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Fudge is due a worming and fleaing soon. Bringing him to vets every 2 months for these was costing a good bit because the vets charge a 15e fee just to see him. And with worming and fleaing on top of that it was around 30e.

Doesnt sound a lot but factor in taxis to and from (its a good bit away) and it all adds up.

Got my hands on some very reduced flea treatments, they couldnt be sold at full price because bit of paint on packets. So i stocked up on them.

Only problem is fudge wont take the worm tablets. Its like he knows its in his food, there is no smell off it but seems to smell it. We have put them in meat, crushed it into his food and cat milk. Wont touch it. We have bought two so far and both were wasted on him. The tablets are 6e each and i do not want to keep getting them if he wont take them.

My vets suggested opening his month and shoving it back.... Which i just cant do :-(
    hoping someone on here will have been in a similar situation and can give me some advice on how to get him to take the tablet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Try advocate spot on, covers fleas ticks mites and worms (except tapeworm). Way less hassle than tablets. Other wise you can buy a little gadget called a pill popper that you can slot the tablet into and push the trigger and it forces the tablet back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Other wise you can buy a little gadget called a pill popper that you can slot the tablet into and push the trigger and it forces the tablet back
    where would i get one of those,would pet shops have them. Its the drontal worm tablets i get him they are kind of big id worry about him choking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

crush the worm tablet into his food hell eat it not knowing my cat does it all the time not a bother on him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

crush the worm tablet into his food hell eat it not knowing my cat does it all the time not a bother on him..

By far the best and easiest way. With dogs too, although collie is very easy to medicate directly.

Crush it between 2 spoons to powder and stir it well into a good feed, eg tuna flavoured.

If you have to give direct, put pill in a lump of butter, wrap cat in a towel with just head sticking out, open mouth and drop well back, then hold mouth closed. The butter will melt and be swallowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

No youd have to her them in the vets, they cost roughly 8 euro so arent that bad seeing as they cover practically everything!

Edit sorry I see your adjunct about the popper, ive only seen them in vets but Im not sure, if you are worried about choking you can half the pill and do it twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I'd crush it and put it in his favorite treat food (tuna or Philadelphia work well with mine), but only feed small amounts.

The popping it into his mouth trick is easiest though, you could always follow it up with a treat and an ear scratch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i posted a few weeks ago about this very thing. cat wouldn't accept it in food he'd normally wolf down, i couldn't get it far enough down the back of his tongue on my own, so on the suggestion of another poster i got a pill popper. oh my giddy aunt - best thing ever and over in seconds! i was using a drontal xl tablet and just gave it to him in two halves. he wasn't happy with us for a few minutes but i think he realised it was for the greater good ;):p

forgot to mention, i had him up on a table, with mr artyeva standing behind him and kinda swaddling him in his blanket and holding his shoulders. then i was able to concentrate on opening his mouth and getting the popper in. i watched a few videos on you tube first to see the technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Try Profender spot on - it also covers tapeworms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

i have been doing this , thats why i said its like he smells it. We only put quater in at a time cos otherwise it v noticable it is yellow when your crush it up. But he wont touch it once we put it in. He does not see us when we put his food in his bowl he is always in another room because he keeps jumping on kitchen counter. But he must smell it he would be screaming for his food then he will sniff it and walk away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

If you have a 3V card or credit card, you can get the pill poppers and drontal wormers from Vetuk.co.uk. Around two euro something for the tablet and 1.60 for the pill poppers. I got one a few weeks ago, best bloody thing I ever got hold of: had to worm four six week old kittens this morning and really would have been lost without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Profender spot on :)
    You can also get tiny drontal tablets.

Advertisement