Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Permit issues

Options
  • 20-07-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a U.S player in my team for the past 2 seasons. He's my best player. He accepted a contract but now I'm told he is being denied a work permit. Surely I wouldn't have got him in the first place if that was the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Also this is in the Irish Premier Division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I'm not up to date on the rules but it once was that non-EU players had to play in about 75% of their home country's internationals - and that's after they've signed the initial contract. Exceptions are also made for high profile talented guys. So if your Septic Tank didn't get into the Team USA squad much since joining your Irish club then the permit will be denied. But as I said, I'm basing this on my knowledge that's a few years old...

I think you're right. He hasn't made it into the U.S senior team but has 30 U20 caps.

I think it might be because he's now 21 and has no senior caps. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What role are you offering to the player?

Has he been a 1st team regular since joining your club.

How many u20 internationals has he missed in the last 2 seasons?

I've just shut the game down so I'll have to look again tomorrow. He has been a starter in my squad for 2 seasons. IIRC, he made well over 30 appearances in both seasons for me. He has played every U20 international that he has been eligible for as far as I'm aware. I know Klinsmann was in Waterford to watch him for the senior squad. :)

• Advertisement

I decided to check up on the player who couldn't get a work permit. He retired at the age of 22. :( Could have been a club legend for me. He had good attributes too! Very surprised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I decided to check up on the player who couldn't get a work permit. He retired at the age of 22. :( Could have been a club legend for me. He had good attributes too! Very surprised.

Dam civil servants eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

this is what is so annoying about fm. this guy clearly wouldn't retire irl and instead would go to a country where permit issues are more relaxed(I dunno but seems quite a few us players go to Scandinavian countries) or would return to US and either play in the MLS or NASL.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    this is what is so annoying about fm. this guy clearly wouldn't retire irl and instead would go to a country where permit issues are more relaxed(I dunno but seems quite a few us players go to Scandinavian countries) or would return to US and either play in the MLS or NASL.

Not necessarily. If he's only playing in Ireland he's hardly "arrived" and won't really be earning much and as such may decide as a young man he has other career paths to explore. Loads of youngsters slip through the football cracks....

Or maybe he fell in love with a red headed girl from Cork and can't bear to leave the country... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    Not necessarily. If he's only playing in Ireland he's hardly "arrived" and won't really be earning much and as such may decide as a young man he has other career paths to explore. Loads of youngsters slip through the football cracks....

Or maybe he fell in love with a red headed girl from Cork and can't bear to leave the country... :)

But if that's the case, a permit wouldn't be an issue. :p

• Advertisement

But if that's the case, a permit wouldn't be an issue. :p

Nah, she's a total wagon and doesn't want to settle down just yet... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I completed the signing of a striker who I was after for a few months in the game. After some very drawn out negotiations a deal was finally struck. Work permit denied, and seemingly will be reviewed next year? :'(

I think a few guys have him here, I think I saw someone post him in a Blackburn squad banging in the goals

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TheDoc wrote: »
    I completed the signing of a striker who I was after for a few months in the game. After some very drawn out negotiations a deal was finally struck. Work permit denied, and seemingly will be reviewed next year? :'(

I think a few guys have him here, I think I saw someone post him in a Blackburn squad banging in the goals

Sounds like me (carlos fierro)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sounds like me (carlos fierro)

That's the guy!

Advertisement